Rusty Olds Update

Fitted the trunk latch last weekend. As I indicated in the “what you did today” thread, the brand new rubber gasket is too big ( but it is still listed as the correct part 🤬🤬). I’ll leave it on there for now in the hope that I haven’t thrown out the old one, it might turn up. I’ll get a picture up when I can.

Here is an update date guys. I’ve been steadily plugging away when I get time, which is not much but hey it keeps me off the streets. I’ve fitted the trunk latch with the oversized gasket (so that is something for later when I find the original gasket), I’ve fitted the front and rear bumpers and tested the indicators all work fine. I’ve converted the original parking light in the bumper over riders into front indicators and fitted modern side indicators into the rear bumper over riders. Next will be the headlights when I get home in a couple of weeks then I can solve three small electrical issues. The fuel gauge flickers (bad earth for sure), the power top has no 12v to the switch and the oil pressure light remain on when the ignition is turned off (go figure, must be getting battery live power from somewhere, works fine otherwise). So only those issues, not too bad considering that the wiring loom has been in and out a couple of times. Here are a couple of pictures.

7FC9CF1A-8B52-4242-B09A-4AFD4DB78AE9.jpeg
4F720B95-90F9-4508-8722-97C07393210D.jpeg
4C768D08-042E-4D77-B987-06045E011DF2.jpeg
C40AA3B9-163F-4C00-BDE0-CC244069432D.jpeg

Damn that’s a clean yard and shop area....Car looks great too...

Last edited:
That color looks amazing on there!! WOW.
thanks for the peek in...I bet she is is impressed with the efforts you have put into that project!
Still watching from afar,
Greg

Thanks guys. I’m planning to install the headlights tomorrow. She will have eyes! Then I’ll be looking at some electrical issues.

I also love the color, if it's not giving away any secrets could you let us know what it is?

The paint is - DNA Port Wine Kandy and I like how it look with a bit of cloud around, the tones really show.

My Olds has been fighting me this weekend. I installed the lights ok and then found that I had more electrical issues. So I started the weekend with three electrical issues and have finished with five electrical issues and a car that won’t run🤬🤬, no power to the ignition circuit so yes another electrical issue. I’ve checked every fuse and relay in the car so there must be something hiding.

I did have the entire electrical system sorted and everything worked fine before I stripped the whole car back to a bare chassis so that it could all be painted. Our inspection system is a real pain.

Oh well more searching when I get some time next.

Ok it took me couple of wasted days but I found the culprit for the loss of ignition power. There was a hairline split in a blade fuse, I’ve never seen a fuse blow like that before. I found it using the multimeter, holding it to the sunlight the split is virtually impossible to see. Put a torch behind it and there it is. So I replaced the fuse and bingo the car starts.

I also discovered what is causing the fuse to blow, but not why. Dipping the headlights to high beam blows the ignition fuse, what the! Seems I have some gremlins in the system that need to be chased out. Funny, everything worked fine before the wiring harness was removed and then refitted later. I guess that there is a short in there somewhere. A friend has said that I should expect nothing less from a redhead🤣😂🤣😂🤪. I’m out of time now and back to work for a couple of weeks so will start chasing gremlins when I get back.

Here is a picture taken yesterday afternoon before I put it in the shed. It has eyes now.

C20665D1-E4CA-447E-9AFC-CBB39F552674.jpeg
370A1DE4-CBC3-447A-8F57-691D7569FDCB.jpeg

Thanks, Yes she is being a bit of a redhead too. I’ll find the faults when I can get some time.

A good many electrical issues seem to always involve "grounds".
One can not have enough of them at times.

A good many electrical issues seem to always involve "grounds".
One can not have enough of them at times.
Yep,as soon as I can get some time I’ll get a chance, I’m sure that you will be right on a lot of the issues.

Gary wiring is one of my favourite jobs,, NOT! lol Colored spaggetti, oh I might be able to struggle through it, but I would rather let an expert do it. I don't think I have the patience for it and if I got done and had issues I'd likely lose my mind! Also lately friends have had issues with the kits. Been some internal issues and I wouldn't have a clue.