Rusty Olds Update

Looking really good Gary. Man, lots of Chrome there. Do you use a local shop for replating?

Beautiful summer cruiser. Really like the colour!
I helped a buddy here paint his 40 Olds coupe with 500 Caddy power. It has the same style front fenders
that trail on to the doors as your car.
I always bug him that those "pods" should be on the back of a sports car going the opposite direction,,
Fred

That is definitely a color that works with that car . As I'm new here I just did a quick run over of your thread but didn't notice if you had mentioned what the color was .

Gary...in reviewing your build I have often wondered how difficult it was to get right hand drive components for your car. Not only the box, but dash pieces etc.

Not that big a deal Keith thanks to symmetric original design. I swapped the glovebox mounts front the right to the left so I could move the glovebox door over. I made a new glovebox inner out of a plastic kitchen bin (I could cut it and mould it (after a bit of heat) to clear the windscreen wiper motor so thought I’d give it a go, it worked. At one point I bought a 46 Olds 4 door wreck to get a couple of bits so grabbed the glovebox door off that and installed the instruments into the door. Added a couple of brackets and installed the new instrument panel into the right side.

For the mechanicals I installed a R&P off a relatively modern RHD car. A bit of measuring and calculating to get the geometry right and it works. I cut down the original steering column and fitted an intermediate shaft. I’ve not had the car up to speed yet but so far it drives well.

34F0EC13-9B49-414D-BDE6-E4CFD71E0EFB.jpeg
2D43B401-BBD4-4029-ACC0-250B52DEFBB8.jpeg

Fitted the side spears today. They change the look of the car some. Sure would look better if the correct wheels were fitted

That spear really adds to the look as it breaks up the expanse of the side view. Looks great. :)

I have to finalise the wheel choice yet. I have a couple of thoughts but need to sort it. Soon

The right set of wheels will really make her pop . I'm not sure about your area but wheels in north america are in very short supply . I had quite a time getting a set for my coupe and didn't get exactly what I wanted but close .

The right set of wheels will really make her pop . I'm not sure about your area but wheels in north america are in very short supply . I had quite a time getting a set for my coupe and didn't get exactly what I wanted but close .
Lots of new style wheels around which all seem to be 18 - 20 in. It’s just not me. Finding stuff at 15 in is much harder