Rusty Olds Update

Rusty Olds

Supporting Member
Well here is an update on where I am at with my 47 Olds. It sure has been a slow and steady build. Recently I delivered the Olds to a mate to get the car ready for paint. He will be sorting out all those finer details like door gaps and fixing some of the stuff that my last body man did. MY mate also has a painter on tap so that when ready it will go directly to the painter, when done I should get it back painted (hopefully by end January) and ready for me to continue.

On the trailer ready to go.

IMG_4793-1.jpg

Other side

IMG_4796-1.jpg

Door gap looks good now

20191202_112820_resized.jpg

Front fender extension needs some work to match door

20191203_152719_resized.jpg

Cut and add

20191203_162117_resized.jpg

Looking good. I assume the "7.25" written on the fender extension is mm required to make it fit??. Curious, why was it off in the first place??. Nice fix BTW.

Looking good. I assume the "7.25" written on the fender extension is mm required to make it fit??. Curious, why was it off in the first place??. Nice fix BTW.

Yes mm, that’s what we work in over here, all of my generation can work in both though. The lower portion of the doors have had a rust repair panel fitted, the shape didn’t quite match the original. Hence the gap that needed sorting.

Colour is going to be a surprise, though Lee knows. I’m sure if you ply him with enough tongue relaxer he would talk.😁😁😁

Gary

You posted some high build primer photo on FB .

I noticed it seems like a lot of orange peel!

Can you please ask your painter if that's ok???

I am using Clausen high build and I think I have too much orange peel :eek::eek:

Thanks Tim

Gary

You posted some high build primer photo on FB .

I noticed it seems like a lot of orange peel!

Can you please ask your painter if that's ok???

I am using Clausen high build and I think I have too much orange peel :eek::eek:

Thanks Tim

Tim as a rule out here you just block that hi fill back to how you want it. I have used it on a couple of my cars so no worries, mind you I have not used that brand you speak of. I would imagine it would be similar.

Yep part of the nature of a high build lots of orange peel. That's because it has so much filler in it. You block it down and it fills very well. I usually use a thinner primer for final coat then sand for paint with fine sand papers.