My 1952 Buick

Might paint the inside of the new one with Tremclad..if the antifreeze won’t eat the paint?..

Brown stuff cleaned out…corrosion goes all the way through.
BA441A55-5BE9-4FC9-90F3-29561616A1A1.jpeg

I don't think that painting the inside of the neck should be necessary. Your antifreeze should contain corrosion inhibitors and water pump lube and be suitable for aluminum engines and rads. I think there must have been a defect in the neck casting that was not noticed when it was new. If the coolant was going to eat through the aluminum like that it should have destroyed the rad first where it's so thin.

Why chance it....just buy a new one....of better quality
Oh yes..I’m definitely buying a new one…just thinking about adding another layer of protection by painting the inside of the new one…not having much luck finding a better one..looking for chromed aluminum…then again I’ve only started to look. This one is made by Mr Gasket..sold by Holley..paid $30 US when I bought my carb from Summit.

Last edited:
Thanks for the effort of the pictures. What a buggar, I have no assistance but feel your pain.
I don’t think I have seen one of those rust/corrode through like that. I did have a similar one many many years ago corrode around the attachment bolt holes, so much so that gasket blue or orange was not going to fix it reliably.

My bet is a flaw in the casting too. Can’t be that corrosive that the rad wasn’t touched.

I think it was just a crappy product..I was going to buy the same one from Napa but they don’t have any in any of their stores all across Canada..girl said they are most likely going to discontinue to carry it…I have to look for a aluminum unit. This one is made in Taiwan and judging how its starting to corrode everywhere on the inside I’m guessing it was junk metal covered in a thin coating of chrome. The chrome had voids in it and the coolant got in under it and ate the metal under it. The stuff I picked off that looked like brazing ended up changing colour and texture when it dried out. Looks and feels like normal rust. Bad casting or bad chrome?..like it’s been said my aluminum rad is just fine…my manifold is fine as is the cast engine block…I was looking at the swivel units they have…I’m thinking the swivel is just one more place to leak..

So I’ve been at war with my transmission for about a year. Was shifting too hard..so I adjusted it and then too soft..finally got it where it should be. Last fall the tranny started to shift in and out of 3 and 4 quite fast. Had to put it into 3 rd and just leave it there. My 700r4 is using a aftermarket TCI kit for the overdrive engagement. This week I changed the inner TV cable and a small vacuum over electric switch hoping to fix it. I seemed to have lost a lot of transmission fluid during the change over but it turned out to be just a litre… was from spillage and residue left on the pails and cookie sheets that I used to catch the fluids. Anyways I took it out for a drive today and it was much better..but still not right. So I decided to take a look at the instructions that came with the TCI kit. I will be the first to admit that I only look at instructions if something goes wrong during the assembly. Anyways inside the kit I found the worlds smallest Allen key. Turns out it goes in the middle of the vacuum switch and you can turn it to adjust the vacuumed pressure that goes to the switch. So I gave it a turn and took it for a test drive. Works most excellent now..might do a small adjustment in time but I’m happy the way it is now. So the moral to the story is ..they almost never put in ”extra“ parts in the box. If it’s in there it most likely has a function. Also always read the instructions….lol…anyways starting to enjoy the car again..tiny hole in the middle is the adjustment.
A4925FAE-0BC4-4EE2-A557-BB3EB2079C41.jpeg

Cool. I just read an article elsewhere about a problem that was addressed in a "book" that came with the problem.
Someone commented "RTFM" ,,,,,
I've always been a read it as a last resort guy too.
Probably be a way farther ahead in life if I would've read first.

Where 'bouts is that pic taken?
Edit looked through your pics at the beginning,, neat air cleaner. Seems the bjg GM cars back then had a thing for cool cleaners!

Last edited:
Thats great Johnny! It always seems to be a minor fix that solves the most annoying problems.
If I recall ,the Vacuum Modulator for my TH400 has an adjustment screw inside the unit to add or release diaphram spring pressure for shift points also.

Cool. I just read an article elsewhere about a problem that was addressed in a "book" that came with the problem.
Someone commented "RTFM" ,,,,,
I've always been a read it as a last resort guy too.
Probably be a way farther ahead in life if I would've read first.

Pic was taken in my shop (which I have just gotten back from renter.). It’s sitting on my breather which I had off to adjust that little screw thing..

Thats great Johnny! It always seems to be a minor fix that solves the most annoying problems.
If I recall ,the Vacuum Modulator for my TH400 has an adjustment screw inside the unit to add or release diaphram spring pressure for shift points also.
Hey if you need a really tiny Allen key to adjust it I have one you can use…lol

Edit looked through your pics at the beginning,, neat air cleaner. Seems the bjg GM cars back then had a thing for cool cleaners!
air cleaner is 2 1959 chev 6 cylinder air cleaners spliced and diced together. I wanted a big air cleaner to fill that big space under the hood. Running 4 filters inside of it so should keep things clean..thanks for looking.

Ha…hots rods and frustration go hand and hand..and disappointment is always just around the corner..but so is hope.