My 1952 Buick

Screenshot_2021-03-25 sunrise - Google Search.jpg

E518471B-0B9B-4447-9541-BB81EB77BA8D.jpeg
Air ride stuff.hidden but still accessible..in door number #1. in the shadow on the left is a platform for a future trunk mount radio...

Last edited:
So I spent about 2 hours today putting in a seat belt in the passages seat. Used the female end that came with the Mazda bucket seat. Got the male end off a Ford Ranger. Clips together like they were made that way. Cut and bent the mounting bracket and bolted it on. Works great. Problem is I hate it. Don’t like the loose belt end flopping around. And even if I clip it together I don’t want to look at the belt sitting there. And to add injury to insult the kid down the street with the rice rocket says it’s no good unless you have a shoulder strap. Told him the car never even had seat belts when it was made so I don’t need the belts let alone the shoulder strap. So I’m off the the pick and pull to see if I can find a belt end with a retractable housing...
523F51CA-6DC7-4B66-8A86-5793D19D090A.jpeg

Johnny, Speedway sells retractable ones and quite reasonably priced I thought? $45 US

I got a couple from the wreckers. Have to cut the ends off and weld on some Mazda ends...$5 for the pair. If they don’t work I’ll see about the ones that speedway have. Thanks for the tip.

Rice burner car kid came by when I was done. Say still not good enough. Need to be like his..some kind of 5 point with a big button in the middle to release all 5 belts at once. I thought about it and told him I will make something up just for him so he will feel safe if I ever let him ride in my car...can’t wait until he tries it on.
AC0CC73C-8E71-4CC4-95B0-4CCF6C20465D.jpeg

Last edited:
So I was feeling pretty good today so I took the cover off and put the Buick back up on my 4 poster hoist…love that hoist..anyways I noticed a wet spot under the car…about 4 years ago I had a issue with antifreeze leaking out between my intake and the heads..tore it down..put in new gaskets and all was well..until today..antifreeze sitting in the valleys of the intake around the bolts…$&#(@*#/%….looks like the e been leaking for a while… Put the cover back on..had a beers and I’ll look at it next spring when I get the TV throttle cable home….humbug.
DE813326-5823-45CB-AA37-BB143FBDE092.jpeg

Might just be hard to tell from the pictures but those belts look like they are mounted too far forward. Lap belts should be around 45 degrees angle through your hip. The mounting of the belt should follow the lines of the cover for the factory belt to the floor.

Your right..that’s the wife’s seat…she’s vertically challenged…retractable is mounted to the floor..seat is usually farther forward. Had her sit in the car when I mounted the belt..made to fit her…happy wife happy life..

Thought I would take another look at the leak on the Buick today. Ran it for about 5 minutes and then took a look. I can’t believe that the thermostat housing rotted right through and has a crack in it. All that stuff was new when I put it in about 5 years ago..I thought it was aluminum…but aluminum doesn’t rust…cheap off shore crap…paid good money for that for a brand name part
E524C11D-37A3-4128-AB65-89EBF98C3466.jpeg
… cheap crap..@*@&@-@$#*@… great news is it will be a way easier fix that redoing the intake gaskets…pretty sad when your happy that a fairly new part has rotted through....

Well that makes for an easier fix. I wonder how or why that part failed on you. I would be interested in seeing a couple pictures of this ‘eroded’ aluminum.
What coolant brand/type are you running? Use tap water I assume or distilled?
Yes these things bug the hell out me too, is the aluminum junk or is the blend of ‘products’ we use getting more corrosive?
Glad to hear your fix will be swift.

Using Prestone antifreeze..bought new at the time…using water from my house dehumidifier. My shop teacher when I was in high school told me to use it in my battery’s and cooling system..that was 50 years ago and I’ve never had a problem using that water..I might have topped it off with tap water..but not a bunch..will take some pictures of the housing inside and out..when I get back out working on it…I seem to have a hard time getting things done lately..I will get all ready to work on something..and for some reason I get distracted and work on 5 other things instead…but it will get done..just not today..lol..

Few pics of the housing..odd brown crusty stuff where ever its corroding …looks like rust..but it’s doesn’t feel like rust when you poke at it..looks like brazing..some kind of contamination in the metal. Its not made of aluminum..too heavy ..reminds me of the corrosion you get on pot metal..but I’ve never seen that brown crusty stuff on pot metal..cheap junk..@&$#*(%+
5AD0CC04-9853-4369-BCAD-21AF33357C41.jpeg
E7041021-4A41-4167-A621-AFC78F09FFAA.jpeg
20657F7B-7C28-4BD6-A593-1E6CA4675AFB.jpeg
413B261D-9242-4C6C-B73C-14AC70F7D013.jpeg

Last edited: