39 Willys coupe project

I do like that new foot plate a lot better. I still prefer a full encircling plate around the tank. I had suggested flanges welded to the bumper tube, but they will look out of place when the tank is not there. So how about clamping it to the bumper tube with connecting rod caps. I would drill a dowel hole in the bottom of the tube and dowel the bottom cap so it wont rotate on the bumper.

Busted by Pedro again! He's seen too many of my ideas that didn't work. Like my gas tank held on with zap straps.

I do like that new foot plate a lot better. I still prefer a full encircling plate around the tank. I had suggested flanges welded to the bumper tube, but they will look out of place when the tank is not there. So how about clamping it to the bumper tube with connecting rod caps. I would drill a dowel hole in the bottom of the tube and dowel the bottom cap so it wont rotate on the bumper.
Hmm, I like the idea, however where does one find con rods 1 1/2 ID or so? I would have to measure.

mount the bumper behind the grill and run a set of flat bars out through the slots on the grill. Mount the tank on the flat bar. Still think it looks better without and the tank would make a good interior margarita tank....just saying..

Last edited:
Well inevitable when building these things I guess, however none the less maybe it just happens to me, lol. Others may be more planned and organized then myself. :( Anyway I ran into a couple snags this weekend with some new bits I purchased. I am going to have to go backwards on a couple past plans in order to make them work. I hate doing that but I guess it's better now than later. Keep you guys posted. :(

i enjoy and read every post on this site...you can get little bits of info from each problem or solution to a problem and stash them in the back of your mind for future reference. Sooner or latter the info will come in handy. The problem I have now is at my age my brain has limited capacity and is pretty well full. So when I get some new info some of the old info has to be erased. But you don’t get to pick and chose which bits of old info is deleted ..which is where I am right now because I’ve forgotten what my point was in this post...damn.

Bash, I think I can speak for others, for sure myself on 'planning and organizing'. There is a saying 'the best schemes of mice and men'. You are certainly NOT alone and many posts share these problems, good thing is others may have similar history and a solution or at least advice.

Well here is what happened, all my doing of course. I decided this thing would look pretty cool with wheelie bars, problem is I already determined the tank would go under the car. Well if I run the wheelie bars I can't use that tank unless I put it someplace else or make it much smaller (not ideal). My solution I think will be to modify it a little and put it in the trunk. This means I will have to change the angle at which the filler tube goes into the tank and shorten it, but shouldn't be a big deal, and change the angle on the sender a bit so the float doesn't stick.
DSCN4240.JPG
DSCN4241.JPG

The other issue I have created for myself is in attempting to mount the largest radiator in it as I possibly can I have run into some hose routing issues. I am going to have to get creative but I think I have a plan that should work.
DSCN4224.JPG

I made a couple supports off the front cross member to support the weight of the rad then made a couple brackets with rubber isolators to hold the upper rad in place.
DSCN4226.JPG

I am hoping that with the size of the rad and the added 2" scoop I fitted under the grill there will be enough air to cool the BBC?
DSCN4228.JPG

Here is where it gets sticky. I am going to have to be a bit creative and even modify the front cross member to get a lower rad hose routed. The lower hose will have to go through both parts of the K member.
5asn8c.jpg
DSCN4229.JPG

Last edited:
Well that was a great update! More problem solving; I do like the sweeping rad support brackets.
I believe you are pretty close with cooling... with the electronic FI I believe you will be able to have that as an accurate assistant. The lower scoop looks great, and should also be very beneficial.
Love the GREEN, green gassers rock!!
Greg

Great update Bash, agree with others and like it all! Even though the wheelie bars add more work they certainly add to the 'look' you are after.

Small update, (between yard works) I did manage some time in the shop. Now that the rad is mounted I made some ducting to close off the spaces between the hood and rad, if the air isn't going through it, it aint cooling anything. Air like water will take the path of least resistance so now it will not be able to go over or around the rad. I will still have to make a fan shroud and a wee bit more ducting on the lower part of the rad.

DSCN4242.JPG
DSCN4243.JPG

DSCN4248.JPG

This is how close it is to the rad when the hood is closed. The green panel is protecting the rad face.
DSCN4244.JPG

Small steps lol thanks for peeking in