39 Willys coupe project

Bash and scratch

Supporting Member
Well I might have a handle on the new photo posting host, I haven't posted much in some time so thought I might share my project progress.. Well this is it a 39 Willys coupe,, it's had a rough life so far but hope to rectify that. In the photos it has a 41 front end on it but it is and will be a 39.

47lzeXf.jpg

MkcuYw2.jpg

o55TzUs.jpg

4JAhGj3l.jpg

J9WXv4nl.jpg

looks like I still have a few bugs to work out posting with imgur
. :) Thanks for peekin in.

Last edited:
Keith funny thing is I tried to buy this car 35 years ago when I was first actively seeking a Willys. Thought I had him talked into selling but last minute he changed his mind. :( But as it turned out he didn't do anything with the car and called me up 4 years ago and said he was thinking of selling and asked if I was interested in having another look at it. Of course I couldn't pass it up. :) I knew it had been sitting in a well treed yard so I was concerned that it may have been rotting away and in terrible condition rust wise.. to my surprise it wasn't much worse than it had been 35 years earlier. Having said that this poor car is/was absolutely beat! But hey it's a coupe and it's steel!

Last edited:
Thought I would start at the rear of the car. As I will likely be radiusing the rear fenders a bit for the style build I planned I thought I would use fenders from my parts pile that were rougher but as it turns out they are all pretty much the same so I decided to just fix these.

jcmxIOgl.jpg

566HG1Wl.jpg

This fender was torn up quite badly but stitched back together well.
p1CiRs1l.jpg

It's hard to see the dimensions but they roughed out not bad at all.
FzATL7zl.jpg

550WrpQl.jpg

Still have some slapping and tuning to do but for now I will head into some other issues. Thanks for peekin in.

Last edited:
This poor car was treated very badly some one stoved the 1/4 in hard and then tried to beat it out with a ball peen hammer,, stretched the crap out of it.

Again hard to tell from a two dimensional photo but it was nasty.
hR3ibkFl.jpg

It also had big cracks up by the sale panels on both sides.
I6irzkAl.jpg

m55lB3Al.jpg

EQ7vmdSl.jpg

It took some jacking, dolly work and some shrinking but it came out not bad at all. So now it's on to some rusty issues on the bottom of both 1/4's. Thanks for peekin in.

Last edited:
You know what they say "there is always more rust than you see". The lower 1/4 was rotted inside and out including the body mount. This is what it looked like to repair it.

7PftiYPl.jpg

V9UFPx4l.jpg

the body mount repaired
W9WVc1El.jpg

wGrHfzql.jpg

The inner sill repaired
KKK5FwDl.jpg

MP7n3Azl.jpg

l0aJoHwl.jpg

8Hwg52Ll.jpg

XMpeHfJl.jpg

The other side was pretty much identical. thanks for peekin in.

Last edited:
Neil: Looking good!

So, I'm guessing by the little blue marks on the backside of the QP, you're using a stud welder with the big copper tip for shrinking??

I have one here, but haven't had a call for it yet, how do you like it?

I also have one of the serrated SS shrinking discs from Ken Sakamoto in Calif, and it works well, but DAMN, is it LOUD:)

James

I also have one of the serrated SS shrinking discs from Ken Sakamoto in Calif, and it works well, but DAMN, is it LOUD:)

James

How do you know it's LOUD James, if you're wearing the required hearing protection? Oh don't tell me! You, and all others out there, wear your P.P.E.!
You won't regret it.

Rant is over James..................Dave.

So, I'm guessing by the little blue marks on the backside of the QP, you're using a stud welder with the big copper tip for shrinking??

I have one here, but haven't had a call for it yet, how do you like it?

James

James yes and I love it! So much more control. I have a shrinking disc as well and it works not bad, but better for smaller high areas. If it is a larger mildly high area I find it's not as effective.

James yes and I love it! So much more control. I have a shrinking disc as well and it works not bad, but better for smaller high areas. If it is a larger mildly high area I find it's not as effective.

X2 on the unispotter shrinking tip, nice work on the coupe, cant wait see it in person hopefully!

floor pan

On to the trunk floor pan.. this one was in terrible condition.

iXFdDlrl.jpg

6yBHDLGl.jpg

OKs2QSZl.jpg

F2aHb51l.jpg

Once again I went to my parts department and found a partial floor that wasn't to bad but needed the last 2 foot or so because some one else had cut the tail of the donor car off.
MZyZJHtl.jpg

6VXeUZhl.jpg

7UHmPO3l.jpg

pPNmtJel.jpg

Iwzpsrul.jpg

That's the floor done,, thanks for peeking in.

Last edited:
Spoken like someone who's never been near an operating Shrinking Disc:):)
They are fricken loud EVEN WHEN WEARING HEARING PROTECTION, and trust me, I wear it!!

James

How do you know it's LOUD James, if you're wearing the required hearing protection? Oh don't tell me! You, and all others out there, wear your P.P.E.!
You won't regret it.

Rant is over James..................Dave.

James They are fricken loud EVEN WHEN WEARING HEARING PROTECTION said:
Just looking' out for your best interest James, glad to hear you wear ear protection.

Best regards my Friend................Dave.

Well next I decided to tackle the trunk lid, once again two dimensional photos just don't measure up. The lid had been hit and the latch area pushed in to the point of almost 90 degrees. I could not even get the latch out, so I separated the two panels from one another.

ot4pDBD.jpg

7KG04qq.jpg

esmR479.jpg

rWiUl5q.jpg

roughed out not to bad
vmRUtIo.jpg

now to clean and epoxy them
eGHGSho.jpg

Ernh4a8.jpg

Ir4pe39.jpg

NQvrrRy.jpg

yOkTZdA.jpg

JIlLJXK.jpg

Time to tackle the rear pan.

djWBjlxl.jpg

KkGF3kxl.jpg

Bottom was badly rusted so replace the bottom 3 inches
1qwil9tl.jpg

pVfgzNll.jpg

A small trim and it will be done.
ky7r2f3l.jpg

ymhw4RXl.jpg

N1V8DuEl.jpg

That's it for now thanks for peekin in.

....it's a treat to watch this in 'blow-by-blow' detail. Thanks for taking the time for all the pics (just put the time on the owner's invoice.....haha)