39 Willys coupe project

Bash, thanks for the post and all these great updates! I was wondering which direction you were gonna go for it finished and I had just assumed to myself with that outrageous mill you have that a gasser would be the idea! And it's a great one at that!

I also agree that the car would be super cool as a taildragger and that's what I would do if it were mine, but that's the beauty of this thing we call hotrodding, everybody likes something different.....but I sure do love gassers! lol Especially after I saw CDNflatlanders in Red Deer!

And yours is gonna be a knock out!

As for my chassis builds, I appreciate the comment but I'm far off on the skill level that you are......but one day....

Last edited:
The rear suspension is mocked up and tacked in place this is with the Dana but it will be replaced with the 9 inch.

4L2UTVPl.jpg

dKVS3Mkl.jpg

0MzEZIgl.jpg

etPTwDnl.jpg

It was a bit of a surprise to me how far back the engine had to be in order to accommodate a rad. Unlike the 40/41 the front sheet metal does not allow for stuffing a cross flow rad under it. So being an upright rad will have to be used the engine had to go waay back. The firewall will have to be rebuilt.

The mounts with cradle tacked into place, Front member with I beam K member.
x1zre6Tl.jpg

thanks for peekin in.

Really nice work so far. Being a custom guy it would definitely have been cool and quite unique had you gone that way but I am sure it will be great as a gasser as well. Looking forward to updates.

Thanks K13

I plan on making some fender well headers and as the engine is so far back it will mean the bottom leg of the cowl will need a trim for header clearance. This engine is so far back that the distributor is actually under the dash.. don't really like that but it is the way it will have to be in order to get a rad into it. The seats will just have to be set back..
2qhHtJel.jpg

dsPN7ejl.jpg

At7fCD4l.jpg

dTjborMl.jpg

fbQJs4Ll.jpg

Next thing on the agenda will be the trans cover and remaining rust on the floor.

Thanks for peeking in. :)

So this is where I sit at this moment in time,, not sure when I will get the chance to get back at it,, hopefully not too long!

Here is a photo with sheet metal just sitting on it and no firewall, which is in now.
6RHzlWv.jpg

Thanks for peekin in. Hope it was of interest for some of you fellas? I will update when I have more to add..

Keep updating, lots of great info, I'm taking notes for my pickup build coming up! I emailed you about a pic of the hood hinge, would you have a pic of the hood side hinge? Is it welded or bolted to the hood?
Thanks again!

Relic I believe it is welded but not positive they all are.. I will have a look and see if I have any photos? If not I will check my hoods.

Thanks Gary this has taken some time I had some photos stock piled.. lol .... been working on it off and on now for about a year.

Last edited:
Not a lot of progress lately Relic... been trying to pay bills. Just been cleaning inside and working on logistics for seats etc. no new photos taken yet.. sorry

Wow thanks Stan lol not sure how that would go over.. lots of bleeps in the shop lol..

Well I haven't posted in a while as I haven't made much progress lately. But here is a wee update on what I have accomplished to date.

I still have some cleaning and prepping to do inside but for now been concentrating on the logistics of everything because the firewall is so far back.
I got the column in and the go pedal, the stop pedal is done too but not in photo.
dsvYVQH.jpg

v9Lm34Z.jpg

Seats mounted,, I will be turning these into low backs, they are a bit high for what I want.
3HsD0LB.jpg

The package tray trimmed down to allow room for seats and roll bar (still to come)
s9UjrX7.jpg

Put an F-1 steering box in and started on headers, (waiting on collectors from Speedway)
VyG1c2z.jpg

8T08xgr.jpg

The score of the week (well 5 years or so) was these headlight buckets. I still need the stainless trim but these things are like hens teeth. Even when you find them to get some one to actually sell them..... another thing all together!
UOqacZq.jpg

ZIlPnQu.jpg

gBhOrqP.jpg

Well that's it for now thanks for peeking in. :D

Sorry about the couple of HUGE photos not sure what happened there,, imgur has changed stuff now not sure how to pick sizes of photos???

Last edited:
Love it! . Headers are looking great. Those plugs seem way to easy to change though :)
Thanks for the update

Yeah, you know you have the hot rod gene when you see a set of home made headers as a thing of beauty. I have been enamoured with them since I first saw a how to build your own headers article in one of the "little books" when I wore a younger man's clothes, about 50 years ago.

wish I had another lifetime to learn some of your talents.. great stuff Bash and the Willys has cool written all over it:)

Thanks guys I wish I had more time and $$ to spend on it,, it would progress a whole lot faster..

Looks great! Cant wait to get mine farther along.

Relic I have not forgotten about you I just haven't had time to go through my stash. Have you made any head way on your Willys PU?

Last edited:
Thanks guys I wish I had more time and $$ to spend on it,, it would progress a whole lot faster..

Relic I have not forgotten about you I just haven't had time to go through my stash. Have you made any head way on your Willys PU?

Got the running boards, rear fenders and tailgate all patched up. Just finishing up on shortening the box. Cab and front end next. Once all the sheetmetal is done and mounted I will start the chassis. I know this is kinda backwards to most but hey that's how I roll.

Relic how about posting some photos?????? Start a thread or even post on the "What did you do today thread"??? lol