39 Willys coupe project

Finished up the belt guard today.
DSCN4382.JPG
DSCN4383.JPG
DSCN4384.JPG

Not a lot of room to spare but still have about 3/8's of an inch wiggle room. lol
DSCN4385.JPG

That was my Saturday, thanks for peekin in....

Last edited:
Well my idea for cooling flaps won't work.. two reasons 1. no room for them to swing, top will hit the blower snout, 2. the rad is on a bit of an angle so they won't completely close. So I got looking at other options and came across these from Spal, thinking they might look OK? I think they should open and close alright even with the angle as they are under a bit of tension? I don't think they will look terrible. What do you guys think?
bci-75072_xl.jpg
prd_24.jpg

I might be looking at this wrong but with that fan pulling air though the rad won’t it pull those flap closed?

I might be looking at this wrong but with that fan pulling air though the rad won’t it pull those flap closed?
I believe at idle or in slower traffic that is the point, forcing the air to be pulled through the rad? At higher speeds they would open with the wind pressure. I am just not sure if there would be enough air pulled through the 16" hole at speed? Which might force the air around the rad and back through the grill.

What about another smaller radiator added elsewhere in series with the existing ? Maybe under the car with a fan ? What about an oil cooler added ?

What about another smaller radiator added elsewhere in series with the existing ? Maybe under the car with a fan ? What about an oil cooler added ?
Back when I stockcar raced I ran a stock little rad and put the heater core in a headlight opening. Got a few giggles but worked great.

Not a lot of spaces to put a rad of any kind under there what with ladderbars, exhaust, trans cooler and the like. I did consider something like that. I think I will give these a try and if there are heating issues consider alternatives then. I don't see as these could hurt anyway?

Bash, I am basically running the same motor and aluminum rad with electric fan /shroud. these bbc run hot and mines gets up to 212 on hot days or cold days, idling or flat out on the highway. The fan kicks in around 195 and it typically stays around that temp. I cant remember exactly what size the rad is but I believe it is a 3 row. I have never had overheating issues. 20180804_120008.jpg 20190515_125748.jpg

Ratrig cool ride, what CID? and cast block? Aluminium heads? I know these BBC's run hotter than say a SBC, I am trying to incorporate as much cooling advantage into this thing as I possibly can in order to avoid heating issues. You have two advantages over me, #1, no hood, and #2, 3 row rad. I have a relatively closed engine bay not to mention header heat to contend with (I could wrap them but not a look I like) and only room for a 2 row rad. It is as large physically as I can get in there without a bunch more mods. It does have a fair amount of area and I have shrouded and ducted any areas I thought would need it in the hopes that it will cool. One of my concerns and reason for using these flaps is to allow more air to flow through the rad when the vehicle is moving. I am just not sure it will get the volume needed through that 16" hole alone? Maybe I am over thinking things here but I wonder if it will create a back pressure of sorts and then flow around the rad through the grill, as the way the grill is made, it is open quite a ways past the rad? With the flaps they would open at speed and allow more flow through the shroud.

454,cast block with OP cast heads. I forgot the fact that I am fenderless. There is no where to trap the heat coming off the fan .

Christmas came early this year! Thanks to John in Oz a package came in the post. Can't thank you enough John. Thanks for the chute mate!
What I need to know is how you got all that in that bag?? I have packed chutes before but I don't know how one would get all that in that bag!

DSCN4451.JPG

Nice one mate. Merry Christmas, haha, the place I sent it with rang me today to tell me it was delivered on Monday, so yes I would use these people again, that would make it 7 days from when I took it there which is amazing service really. Mate cut the cable ties because I didn't pack that properly because I though someone might want to inspect it there. I guess you wont have any problem repacking that. It looks the part there mate and has slowed the Pontiac from 250 M.P.H. so I hope the new one I'll be getting works as well, it will also be a different colour. You will be able to hang it up at shows to if you wanted to. It is a shame the silver has come of the canvas though, but you could paint that I guess if you wanted to. Do not attach that to the Diff either, I had a good mate killed out here in his rail when something let go and when the diff moved it released his seat belt, not the clip but twisted and spat him out onto his head on the track. A chute should always be attached to the chassis. Just let me know if you have any problems re packing that and I'll explain how to do it, it is not hard.

Maybe Donna will fit that Tee Shirt to, hahaha, yeah right. It used to fit me once upon a time, but what happens is the dust mites piss on your cloths and shrink them haha, yeah well I use that excuse :)

Last edited: