39 Willys coupe project

I know you’ve spent a lot of time building the cable system…and you’ve said you don’t mind criticism…………..I think the throttle cable looks out of place…everything else is period correct ..except the cable. A mechanical ‘ rod lever ‘ type maybe?..

Last edited:
Johnny I never really thought about that till you said it, I think I was just so frustrated with the whole thing I was just happy when it finally worked? I did a redesign, it's bit of a hybrid now. Of course it meant more friction as well as weight so a re think on springs and return was in order. I used a bearing on the pivot instead of a bushing, It works fine now. I like the cable cuz it's simple and clean. But I have plenty of time to re examine.
DSCN4348.JPG
DSCN4351.JPG

Last edited:
Got the fan shroud made, just thinking of a way to open up the blanked out space so more air can travel through the rad while driving, some sort of hinged flaps so it doesn't back flow when the fan is running at idle.

DSCN4356.JPG

Also started a mock up of a belt guard, do not want to throw a belt and take out the rad hose neck. Ran into a bit of a snag as the pulley is a larger diameter than the bolt pattern of the front bearing case, so a little worried it will look too heavy. Going to have to do some trimming to slim the look down. This is just a pattern really the real one will be using 3/4" aluminium dowel and 3/8" plate. Because the snout is so long I think I want to use a stabilizing mid plate, I know it makes it look heavier but I think it will need the strength, that belt has a bit of mass.
DSCN4357.JPG
DSCN4355.JPG

That was all the time I got to spend in the shop, thanks for peekin in...

Got it figured out…I see you have a long cable from your throttle .. make a aluminum flap door on the fan shroud. Hook the throttle cable to the flap. When you are under power the cable will open the flap and when you are idling the flap will be closed. You can make the flap with a Willys wording or logo just to fancy it up..

Last edited:
Only thing I have against the rubber flaps is they look like a afterthought..and would look out of place on a car with this quality of craftsmanship. It’s kind of like the guy that pop rivets a hood scoop on instead of doing it right…it works..just doesn’t look right. I’m not discounting anyone else’s idea and opinions….in case you haven’t noticed I have a habit of over voicing my ideas…eh.

Last edited:
I wonder if you could make a almost full width narrow flap across the bottom out of aluminum ( or would this be too heavy to open ) which would be less noticeable .

I wonder if you could make a almost full width narrow flap across the bottom out of aluminum ( or would this be too heavy to open ) which would be less noticeable .
EBEAR I considered something like that or like shudders however wonder how much they will rattle?

Only thing I have against the rubber flaps is they look like a afterthought..and would look out of place on a car with this quality of craftsmanship. It’s kind of like the guy that pop rivets a hood scoop on instead of doing it right…it works..just doesn’t look right. I’m not discounting anyone else’s idea and opinions….in case you haven’t noticed I have a habit of over voicing my ideas…eh.
I know what you mean Johnny I have seen them used and it is fine on the bottom where you will never see it but not only eye level on the top but they tend to curl then they really look like shyte. I am wondering if there is something else light enough and rigid enough that might work and not look awful. Again I was thinking of really light gauge aluminium with a pivot but worried about rattle.

Yeah the rubber flaps would look out of place on this.
Some .015 aluminum, hinge pin in a nylon bushing, little nub of a rubber stopper on the shroud to stop rattles and the unsightly rub mark of aluminum on aluminum. Make the flaps short enough so when moving forward the flaps hinge back to allow air to flow. I doubt the possible rattle would be heard over the music of the heat maker ;)

Then it was on to the belt guard. Did manage to whittle out some mount plates, and turn down some aluminium spacers, still need to drill and tap them. Then I will counter sink some allen bolts to put it all together.

This was the prototype.
DSCN4357.JPG

after a trim and couple mods
DSCN4362.JPG

The new mounting plates.
DSCN4365.JPG

New spacers ready for drill and tap, and test counter sink.
DSCN4368.JPG

That was my weekend, thanks for peekin in....

Hey Bash, a quick question for you, do you use A-9 for cutting fluid when you are messing (machining) around with the aluminum?
I know when I’m working at the mill or lathe with the aluminums I can afford, they don’t respond well to the regular oil-water cutting/coolant mix in the machines….even for a quick job.
You have great vision! Enjoying your builds.
Greg

Hey Bash, a quick question for you, do you use A-9 for cutting fluid when you are messing (machining) around with the aluminum?
I know when I’m working at the mill or lathe with the aluminums I can afford, they don’t respond well to the regular oil-water cutting/coolant mix in the machines….even for a quick job.
You have great vision! Enjoying your builds.
Greg
Greg, I don't do that much machine work, if I do I usually use a cutting fluid that I also use for tapping threads. As I say I am no machinist either. I try to be very careful with any type of oil as it does not mix well with body work and primer. Thanks for the compliment and so glad you are enjoying the build.

Last edited: