39 Willys coupe project

Decided to try a small project, still not positive I will be using it (not sure where to mount it) but I made some mount brackets for the moon tank.

I started with some rubber mat I have, using it as friction gasket for the hoops. I also picked up some 1/2"x1/8 aluminium from princess auto.
DSCN4199.JPG

DSCN4198.JPG

DSCN4201.JPG
Ran it through the slip roller.
DSCN4200.JPG

DSCN4202.JPG

Spent some more time on it today mocked it up in some scrap I had lying around. If I decide to go with it I will have to use some heavier stuff. I will also fine tune it a bit try to make it look less bulky,(the mounting plate.) Think I will leave it sit like that and see if it grows on me or not? Concerns about blockage of air to the rad. Also think it might be a tad on the large side, I would have liked a smaller one. Thoughts fellas?

DSCN4207.JPG
DSCN4208.JPG
DSCN4209.JPG

Thanks for peekin in...

That car has such a unique look to it ...it’s a shame to hide any of it....I like it without it....

Ok..so Bash asked for some opinions...and I said I liked it the old way..by you guys not saying anything it kind of makes me look like a prick...step up boys and have a voice and take me off the spot...

It's hard to get a proper perspective without seeing the whole car , wheels etc . With the scoop out of the hood it fits the theme but with just front pics it doesn't work for me .

I never understood the purpose of the little tank in front, functional for ? Fuel ? coolant, water methanol injection ? As for the right look.....have to study it for a bit

It was a small tank for fuel on the drag strip. A classic look for early gassers. Myself, I would do away with the cross bar and try and support it from under the grill to the frame with the cross brace hidden. The cross brace out front doesn't look right to me. But thats me. thats my 2 cents. I am am fully confident Bash will finish it off looking good in the end. The car looks amazing !

I do appreciate the look of the old racer’s, the gassers are a recent sweet spot for me. I did not fit a race fuel Moon tank while I owned the ‘55 as it was just for looks and I was still working on the go fast stuff still.
Bash, with the “look” of your car, I would stay with the Moon tank... now I haven’t looked at others mounts, keeping an open mind may find something special yet.
keep on your race theme 😉👍

Okay, here goes. First, Bash from what I've seen here you can do no wrong. To me a classic gasser has a moon tank on the front, a straight tube axle and a big pipe bumper on the back. So I like the Moon tank there. But when you look at all the iconic Willys gassers, you don't see moon tanks. So I'm okay with that too.
As for the mountings, I'm not fussy about the straps and feet. I like the Moon mounts, but I would cut them out of aluminum plate and eliminate the feet. After all you're not mounting it to a floor, like in the back of a pickup. I would weld a couple 2 bolt flanges to the cross tube and cross bolt the tank plates to the flanges. A cleaner mount.
I think one of the reasons for the tank out front was to eliminate the fuel line running past the clutch and rupturing in the event of a flywheel or tranny explosion. Of course scattershields, tranny blankets and fuel line outside frame rail mitigates the danger.

MP515-8-2T.jpg

hRMjBhJ.jpg

Ok..so Bash asked for some opinions...and I said I liked it the old way..by you guys not saying anything it kind of makes me look like a prick...step up boys and have a voice and take me off the spot...
Johnny no worries mate, never thought that for a second. ;)

Okay, here goes. First, Bash from what I've seen here you can do no wrong. To me a classic gasser has a moon tank on the front, a straight tube axle and a big pipe bumper on the back. So I like the Moon tank there. But when you look at all the iconic Willys gassers, you don't see moon tanks. So I'm okay with that too.
As for the mountings, I'm not fussy about the straps and feet. I like the Moon mounts, but I would cut them out of aluminum plate and eliminate the feet. After all you're not mounting it to a floor, like in the back of a pickup. I would weld a couple 2 bolt flanges to the cross tube and cross bolt the tank plates to the flanges. A cleaner mount.
I think one of the reasons for the tank out front was to eliminate the fuel line running past the clutch and rupturing in the event of a flywheel or tranny explosion. Of course scattershields, tranny blankets and fuel line outside frame rail mitigates the danger.

MP515-8-2T.jpg
GFart yes this was the ideal I love the Moon tank and the mounts however when looking to purchase one it just wasn't in the budget. :O If I do decide to keep it I think I will make the whole thing removable so I have the option with or without.

It was a small tank for fuel on the drag strip. A classic look for early gassers. Myself, I would do away with the cross bar and try and support it from under the grill to the frame with the cross brace hidden. The cross brace out front doesn't look right to me. But thats me. thats my 2 cents. I am am fully confident Bash will finish it off looking good in the end. The car looks amazing !
Ratrig unfortunately there just isn't anything under there that would support the weight of it if I do decide to use it as an extra reservoir for coolant (thinking of extra capacity). The fact that I added a 2 inch scoop in and effort to pull more air in from under the grill to the rad makes that even harder. I hadn't really had much opportunity to examine any kind of mounts either previously but then only yesterday came across this photo. Coincidence?
79110139_2661706700539311_4099188105234350080_o.jpg

I think like Ebear mentioned I will have to push it out and stand back to get a better perspective on it. But right now the logistics (meaning mess) in my shop prevents that for the time being.

Hey fellas I just want to thank all you fellas for the comments and opinions, appreciated. I guess as I said the next step for me is to push it out and get a new perspective on it. I have a few more items coming to add, so it may be a while before I do that and get the whole picture.

once again thank you and thanks for peekin in

Well I spent the morning doing the yard work, then got the afternoon in the garage. Redid that mount and finessed the bracket and plate. What say you GFart? little better look to the mounts?
DSCN4221.JPG

DSCN4219.JPG

Now just to figure a bolt on mount.
DSCN4220.JPG

Thanks fer peeking in.