1933 Chevy Standard Coupe Project

Nice

Can't believe that's the same car in the first pics. You got some skills there. Nicely done....

Floor boards

Made patterns for the floor boards.
CQbQRz8.jpg

kP1fxH1.jpg

Then transferred to metal and fitted with seat and belts
3kOEIc6.jpg

wa9g2OZ.jpg

jNbhwIQ.jpg

jz44Htq.jpg

Still have to weld every thing in but going to wait till I get the seat belt mounts fastened and the trunk latch in.

thanks for peeking in

Bash

Last edited:
Woodbutcher my tranny guy talked me out of a 200, he said that they were hard to adjust and at that time hard to find parts for however after market is now picking up some of the slack. Also that for the speedo gear to be changed the whole trans has to be gutted as the tail stock does not come off like others do. Although I suppose today with all the electric speedos its not as big a deal either. But I went with a 700 anyway.

Bash

Bash, I think the benefit of the 200 is that the 1-2 spacing in the 200 is closer than the 700. There's a bigger drop in rev's with the 700 which makes a low torque motor bog a little more. Takes less power to run the 200 as well, much like comparing the th400 with say a th350 or a powerglide. Yes the aftermarket is picking up some of the slack with upgrade parts, but then remember that the turbo Regal ran a 200 and Buick guys would build them up to run in the 10's with the 200.

Floor is in

Welded the floor boards in today after painting under and inside them.
Hr1BCpO.jpg

JFM7pZP.jpg

Bash

Last edited:
Made the trunk latch and got it working and welded the roof panel in today.
GPlYWJB.jpg

uhEvNg4.jpg

thanks for peeking in

Bash

Last edited:
Oh yeah forgot did the hood latches too, and like the trunk latch the hood latch was missing some parts so glad and lucky they were both simple to make.
PPBtkCm.jpg

HN1mpsq.jpg

EIvwU1f.jpg

jydx1iW.jpg

Thanks again for peeking in

Bash

Last edited:
That is amazing how that car came from where you started to now, very nice, but one thing, you have fitted the steering rack upside down :D:D:D

Progress

Well back to making headway on the 33, started smoothing things now.

Roof filled now to bodywork. I have been using epoxy primer under my filler work for almost 30 years and only had a couple issues with it and those were when the filler manufactures changed something so I will continue doing so as I believe it is cheap insurance against other possible problems down the line, ie; stone chips.
vdZWlpL.jpg

60o6RpT.jpg

xvv2gij.jpg

thanks for peeking in

Bash

Last edited:
Man alive you have done a great job there Bash, I will be interested to see any further updates,

Cheers, John

Thanks John and Rusty it is finally looking like there is light at the end of the tunnel!

Worked on the grille today, taking the old one out, removing the expanded metal part of it from the outer frame and fixing a few tears and things in the frame work as it does not come with the new aftermarket grille. I don't know how you would put this thing in with out it?
FlKCY69.jpg

pTo1l1Z.jpg

Framework removed and straightening the cross bar to re-accept the new grille.
5YA4idX.jpg

more later

Bash

Last edited:
Old grille with the trimmings off the new insert beside it.
9WoJaZk.jpg

PGGLZLl.jpg

Trimmed and screwed into place. I can't tell you how many times I had this thing in and out in order to trim a little here and then there before I got this close. Still have a little trim to do to clear a couple fasteners.
ImKXN8H.jpg

vVWXWtO.jpg

PvjUA4X.jpg

maPSkAX.jpg

aOcGVI1.jpg

6SgtHON.jpg

I now have to decide how I am going to attach the new insert to the old framework as the old one was welded in but there is not a whole lot to weld so it does not show? Plus the insert is stainless and the framework is steel.

Thanks for peeking in

Bash

Last edited:
...damn, that is slick. Does that mesh come in sheets or ? Feeble minds want to know.....

Linc it comes with a semi circular shape to it, cut into a rough shape of the opening. My guess is that they use the stuff for both the standards and the masters. The masters have (I believe) a bigger opening? I had to flatten it out carefully as not to kink it to get it the shape I wanted, a V, then trim it to fit. But it does not have any sort of surround on it at all, so I guess this is a long winded way of saying I do believe it can be bought in a sheet form, from someplace? lol Their suppliers?

Bash

Bash the Masters were a bigger all round car. Man you have bought something back to life that the rest of us would have left behind because it would be way above what we could fix up. Very neat.

Is that car for the same man you built the 32 for a few years ago.

John he has had 3 of these cars over the years (not the 32 guy), had one when he was a young lad with a small block and tunnel ram but it still had all the wood in it. He is also only the third owner of this car, The fella he bought it from remembered his neighbour (whom he bought it from) bringing it home brand new.. The rust on this car (other then surface) was very minimal. Unfortunately the wood was all dry rotted, hence the replacement with metal (as I am not a carpenter) . This one just happens to have been built new in 1933... 2 and a half hours south of here at the GM plant in Regina. Which I thought was cool.

Bash

Last edited: