1933 Chevy Standard Coupe Project

Bash and scratch

Supporting Member
Well I haven't posted a lot in some time but I thought I might share this project with those out there that may be interested. It's a 1933 Chevy Standard 3 window coupe. It started out as a more or less simple resto rod project.
LZPVwh0.jpg

CYx9bI3.jpg

jVCpn2B.jpg

1D9VUWY.jpg

Set it on the new chasis now the fun begins.
4q1XSQe.jpg

more later

Bash

Last edited:
Bash and scratch. thats quite the project car. Would like to see more, lots more on your "simple" project. I will be checking back often .
UB

First off jack into shape and start with the foundation the goal here is to eliminate the lumber from the subrails on up.
mEjygWn.jpg

E0NEuLg.jpg

nAM9zH6.jpg

E4kwKYR.jpg

copy of the bolt pattern off new frame
oqxYQqd.jpg

Ru1FE6N.jpg

pqcY01x.jpg

new subrails no more termite food here.
wWI9hJ8.jpg

NxmdLqu.jpg

BnY54gn.jpg

Last edited:
On to the A and B pillars.
SIk4r0U.jpg

nxrYM9O.jpg

Never seen so many nails in a car before,,,,,,,
xuvQpbB.jpg

jL0MsIf.jpg

Dytc9aN.jpg

bup4Por.jpg

Replacement shaped tubing for the wooden A and B pillars
GR1EsLO.jpg

thanks for peeking in

more later

Bash

Last edited:
Man a great car to build there Bash, that will be a good project to watch what you do with that car.

Thanks for showing us what you are up to now.

Last edited:
.....you got a major project started there. it will be a neat 33 I'm sure . A friend here just bought a 33 roadster in B.C. and will be going to pick it up soon. Nice to see something not ford being done up.

....great rescue, and really beautiful B pillars (but we don't expect anything but the best from you)....haha

All that termite bait..... That's why I sold mine years ago...Excellent work!

A few more cleaning metal and dismantling the wood
6v0ccqF.jpg

gIIfFNX.jpg

some damage to repair
6rupWy5.jpg

cxYdHsG.jpg

zhmCQIK.jpg

hyzqNNe.jpg

now on to the trunk

Last edited:
E4kwKYR.jpg

qFXPmsA.jpg

7sohE87.jpg

Lumber removed... on to trunk area
rAwE1Hl.jpg

rAwE1Hl.jpg

Drains repaired
gwxsHQC.jpg

wzwEFJB.jpg

hinge mock up
KKAgBhl.jpg

k0I710m.jpg

9LhMSqe.jpg

thanks for peeking in I will try post more later

Bash

Last edited:
Looks like you're moving right along there. You're making it look alot easier than I'm finding it to be. Lol!!
There weren't many guys bringing these Chevys back, and now they're starting to pop up all over the place.
Looks good Bash!! Keep it up and you'll be tearing up the streets in no time!

Restorex I have been at this for a bit now,, just now posting some pics. lol Your right about the Chevy's not many being done and its easy to see why once you get into it. Not sure I would want to do another LOL. It's a huge job just eliminating the lumber in these things, not to mention the rest of the regular process, and the changes in the program along the way.. its been a challenge even just welding the metal is like soup cans, so thin, also once the wooden structure is out there is no way to really hold the thing into shape so you have to rely on measurements and getting them back once the metal structure is in place. Yeah its been a lot of fun.

Bash

Last edited:
Agreed about the wood. But it worked for just about all the car manufacturers way back then. It was cheap and available at the time. Chevy was one of the last major car builders to get rid of the wood, but if you think about it for a minute, it really isn't any more difficult to replace wood with wood, than it is to have to fabricate new metal for everything.

The only trouble with wood is that it takes a considerably greater bulk - of most types of wood - to reach an equivalent strength to that of some 1" x 1" metal tubing for example. Now you metal guys are going to say that you cannot get the same structural strength with wood as you can with metal, and I have no argument with that whatsoever. However, there are many cases where wood is actually stiffer than metal.

Admittedly we don't seem to see so many car guys who are good with wood AND metal. If you break a piece of wood, it's usually garbage. But if you damage a piece of metal, it can almost always be repaired.

Not exactly sure what I will be replacing on the '35 with wood, but I expect to use a combination of wood and metal pieces, using both in the appropriate places. At least that's the plan.

The one thing I have not seen done yet is to install new wood using epoxy. It seems that it is always put in the same way as originally, using screws, nuts and bolts and nails. Epoxy sticks superbly to both wood and steel, so I can't see any reason that it shouldn't work. The only caveat to that is that the wood needs to fit against the metal extremely accurately. In other words, you can't be filling 1/4" gaps with epoxy. Well, you can if you use the right filler, but that's just being sloppy. And us Chevy guys just aren't like that! :);):D

Admittedly we don't seem to see so many car guys who are good with wood AND metal.

Nowadays, you can get help for that condition with a little pill.....just remember to call the doctor if you're still standing at attention after 4 hours....

Now that the trunk gutter is welded instead of nailed into place and the trunk lid and hinges fitted (but still mocked in so when I replace the timber in the trunk lid I don't get any irreversible surprises ) its time to move on to the mini tubs.
b5qA9rA.jpg

dl9Zscp.jpg

7EOqGnb.jpg

X4d3ptq.jpg

E12kqrW.jpg

now in order for these subrails to sit flat on the frame I needed to reverse this little hump.
9vE7AUK.jpg

beGktGT.jpg

Znoxmo8.jpg

YKUxATY.jpg

sxCzoI4.jpg

more later

Bash

Last edited: