project 33

A three piece hood is being fit to this car so a relief was made on either side of the cowl panel to alow the release rod to be hidden while the hood was open. As this hood will open from either side it meant a rod on both sides.

DSCN8290.JPG
DSCN8296.JPG

CIMG8316.JPG

DSCN8297.JPG

DSCN8298.JPG

Thanks again for peeking in

Bash

Last edited:
Interesting project Bash, I see what you are saying about the rear end set up, is this his first Rod or maybe someone didn't consider wheel and tire set up. Can the rear be altered or is it too late for that, the front end needs to be tucked under a bit more to, is it a problem to narrow the front end as well.

Thanks for the look at what you are doing.

Nice setup. I have to get out and take a look at more modern engines. At first glance I think that doesnt look to bad ,fits ok but whats that sticking out the front? water pump! Could just be the angle of the picture but it looks like you could run a fire truck off that thing :) Time well spent on the closed hood. Still diggin the blend of modern running gear with the classic style interesting build to say the least . Still think it will be a killer if you can pull it off .

Interesting project Bash, I see what you are saying about the rear end set up, is this his first Rod or maybe someone didn't consider wheel and tire set up. Can the rear be altered or is it too late for that, the front end needs to be tucked under a bit more to, is it a problem to narrow the front end as well.

Thanks for the look at what you are doing.

John .. in a word "NO" this chassis was built (and not his first) by a chassis builder.. and thats where the problem with the rear wheels stems from, where he chose to kick the rails in and back out to accommodate the Vette suspension. I think the wheels should be an inch more forward and to change it now would be a nightmare as the drive line is a tork tube set up as well? Also the kick in in the rail should have been 3 to 4 inches forward of where it is. As for the front? well it looks ok clearence wise as long as the car is not too low, and I was surprised it did,, I did not think the front wheels were going to clear fender lip in a turn,, but they do.. To alter this frame now would mean changing the rails some how and WOW.. lots of work and then of course I would have to redo what has already been done in the wheel wells!:eek:

Bash

Last edited:
Nice setup. I have to get out and take a look at more modern engines. At first glance I think that doesnt look to bad ,fits ok but whats that sticking out the front? water pump! Could just be the angle of the picture but it looks like you could run a fire truck off that thing :) Time well spent on the closed hood. Still diggin the blend of modern running gear with the classic style interesting build to say the least . Still think it will be a killer if you can pull it off .

Slim this is a 6.2 (376cid), and yes it is the water pump. They are not a pretty engine (I guess thats why people build covers to hide them) but as I understand it they do make the ponies!

Bash

Had the 6L in the silverado not near as ugly and with a little help go's like stink and not bad on gas. lowerd with AWD fun truck to drive.

Few things left to deal with one the gas filler, and then it will be on the back burner for a bit till he gets another chance at it.

robs 34 030.jpg

CIMG8320.JPG

CIMG8321.JPG

CIMG8164.JPG

He has a few things to deal with on the chassis come spring so it may be a while before he can get back to it.

Thanks for peeking in

Bash

Last edited:
Looks Great . Only thing that sticks out is that seat realy looks like a$$ sitting in there.

Been awhile almost forgot about this one :eek: sorry. It got wrapped up and sent back to the chassis builder to address some issues.

CIMG8500.JPG

CIMG8501.JPG

CIMG8502.JPG

Bash

Last edited:
Well it has been back now for some time and has progressed with some effort I might add. The program has changed a few times along the way,, always fun!

measuring for the new top .. (Slim notice new seats mounted.. one of the changes)

DSCN0014.JPG

DSCN0017.JPG

Windshield placement as well

DSCN0006.JPG

DSCN0084.JPG

DSCN0085.JPG

Bash

Last edited:
Sheet metal ready for paint shop

DSCN0038.JPG

DSCN0039.JPG

DSCN0040.JPG

DSCN0041.JPG

Body as well
DSCN0037.JPG

The fire wall is masked as that was another of the changes, the engine got moved back 2 3/4 of an inch so that meant the fire wall, the floor, torque tube, exhaust, motor mounts and the steering all had to be changed.
Bash

Last edited:
Another of the changes is power steering... this is one of the things I am dealing with now... the rack just does NOT fit!

DSCN0017.JPG

DSCN0016.JPG

DSCN0021_zpsjfeioedi.jpg

And of course this doozey

DSCN0020.JPG

DSCN0018.JPG

DSCN0002_zpshh7caoys.jpg

That's it for now thanks for peekin in

Bash

Last edited:
Well the power steering is out, too much changing to make it work. It is a light car anyway so it should not be an issue. I don't have power steering on any of my rods and don't miss it at all even with the big old Hemi. I had it on my 36 Ford coupe but really didn't need it. So on to the next stage.

Bash

Finally after all the program changes and f__kups the chassis is tore down and ready to go to the powder coater! Woo hoo you have NO idea how glad I am to say that!!:cool:

DSCN0102.JPG

:D:D:D Bash

Last edited:
Looking real good there Bash, mate you don't need power steer in those anyway, you know my car and with the BBC it doesn't have it and it is fine, just once in a while it could be handy when I am feeling weak in a tight parking spot maybe. It is great when you are sending stuff off to be finished to come back and be assembled, good on ya mate.

Last edited:
First time I've looked in on this build...really quite fantastic!

As to the power steering, I'm inclined to agree that it wouldn't be needed. The 6.2 motor only weighs around 418 pounds, which is lighter than just about anything else going. So not a lot of weight on the front tires. And if the tires aren't too fat, they turn easily.

Fantastic job on that frame all around there bash. Hopefully everything has been sorted out by now and things fit well.

Kudos on getting those fenders to fit as you did. Makes you wonder if the manufacturers ever had an original to copy from with that many screw ups.

Do you know which version of the 6.2 that motor is off hand...h.p. rating? She's going to be a real beauty when all is said and done!

Do you know which version of the 6.2 that motor is off hand...h.p. rating? She's going to be a real beauty when all is said and done!

As far as I know this is a unit out of a Denali so not the Vette version. Not sure on the specific HP rating? Has had a few change ups but again not sure what it would be?

Bash

As far as I know this is a unit out of a Denali so not the Vette version. Not sure on the specific HP rating? Has had a few change ups but again not sure what it would be?

Bash

Sounds like it would be at least 400 h.p. The newer 6.2 base motor is 420 in the trucks and 430 in the 'Vette. It goes up from there, all the way to 525, not bad for a stock motor.

Of course, the newer Vettes with the blown motor runs 650 h.p. Better keep out of his way!