project 33

Bash and scratch

Supporting Member
Well not sure if this is the right spot for this or not but??? Plus not sure if this qualifies as bending the rules or not but some might find it interesting to peruse. (Frank if this is inapropriate please let me know) A buddy of mine asked for some help with assembling his 33 puzzle, so I said sure who does not like a challenge LOL yeah right.. anyway it turned out to be much more of a challenge then I thought!

this is what we started with and it don't look that bad............. at a glance lol but that soon changes.
CIMG3659.JPG

CIMG3661.JPG

CIMG3662.JPG

nothing to do now but get started??? :( oh and sorry its a 33 not 34 :D oooops!
Bash

Last edited:
Body panel alignments proved a challenge as they were not all from the same manufacture as well as the bain of this whole project was the odd choice of chassis/suspension combo but more on that later.

CIMG5261.JPG
CIMG5262.JPG

thanks for peekin in

Bash

Last edited:
WoW sure sucks to be you.:D that things not even close. Will put on the popcorn and wait to see how you attack that mess. Never really cared to look at a naked vette but interesting that they applyed a version of the old toque tube setup. bet it will take a pile of torsional stress off the frame if ya could pull the axiles in.

Last edited:
Now that the panels are some what close it will get hidden hinges (to do so all metal B pillars were made) and wheel tubs, of which these will be a bit of a cluster F^$# because of the design of the chasis??? ?

CIMG5608.JPG

CIMG5607.JPG

Notice the odd way in which the chasis was kicked in or rather the odd place he chose to do it,, it will now limit the car to a wheel/tire combo of not more then 29" All it would have taken is to move the kick ins farther ahead in the front by 3" and the back the same farther back?? And that was not the only delema the shock mounts were made off the top of the frame rail rather then the side so the subrail could pass over uncut and undisturbed... again ??
CIMG5267.JPG

CIMG5268.JPG

thanks for peekin in

Bash

Last edited:
Another pic of the hinden hinges without the bracing. Also some of the inner structure such as the inner door jamb and pannel around the rear of the cabin.
CIMG5623.JPG

Last edited:
floor boards

The choice was for smooth floor boards so picked up some 12ga metal and cut some patterns.

CIMG5638.JPG

CIMG5641.JPG

CIMG5640.JPG

CIMG5627.JPG
CIMG5628.JPG

Last edited:
Because of the Vette tranny an access will be made at the rear of the seats reather then the firewall.
CIMG5653.JPG

CIMG5654.JPG

CIMG5629.JPG

Thanks for peekin in more to come

Bash

Last edited:
Take note of the odd way in which the chasis was kicked in or rather the odd place he chose to do it,, it will now limit the car to a wheel/tire combo of not more then 29" All it would have taken is to move the kick ins farther ahead in the front by 3" and the back the same farther back?? And that was not the only delema the shock mounts were made off the top of the frame rail rather then the side so the subrail could pass over uncut and undisturbed... again ??[/

By looking at the tire in the original picture at the top of the page it seems to be a long way from the kick in. maybe the angle of the picture but it almost seems like the tires will stick out to far .

By looking at the tire in the original picture at the top of the page it seems to be a long way from the kick in. maybe the angle of the picture but it almost seems like the tires will stick out to far .

Yes I am not sure what the reasons were for not shortening the rear end? As a result The car will need shallow off set wheels but the stock Vette wheel does fit front and back I had my doubts but they seem fine-ish?

CIMG5634.JPG
CIMG5635.JPG

Bash

Last edited:
Trans cover

Because of the unusual chassis/drivetrain to make it easier to access parts of trans/bellhousing and sensors the trans cover bolts in.

CIMG5653.jpg

CIMG5654.jpg

Trunk floor again because of chassis the floor is removable for the same reason, for access. Also does not leave alot of trunk space!

CIMG5604.JPG

CIMG5606.JPG

That kinda finishes off the floor pans.
thanks for the looky loo

Bash

Last edited:
The seats were mounted and the stearing configured as well the holes in the firewall (not my favourite) as a result again of the placement and type of pedals of which came with the chassis.
CIMG5702.JPG

CIMG5703.JPG

Also made panel for mounting 32 dash.
DSCN8295.JPG

you can see how and where the pedals come through the firewall.
DSCN0332.JPG
CIMG8315.JPG

Thanks for peeking in again

Bash

Last edited:
Im assuming that he is going to run the fenders. the vett wheels do seem to fit well and the classic smooth 5 spoke rims are the blue suit of auto parts . They seem to fit in with what ever you mix them with and look right. From what i can see shortning the rear would of been a major pain and alot of added expence. If they do fit between the wheel well and the fender without rubbing you might be on to somthing here. Then again starting to see alot more IfS front ends running fenderless .not really something that I care for but I can appreciate what it takes to make one look right without fenders covering it.Not really following what your getting at with the stearing collum but im sure the next few updates will clear this up. Definitely not a build for the faint of heart but if you can pull it together as a cohesive unit its going to raise the bar that much higher as something to shoot for

Slim.. yes this car will be full fendered.

Here are some shots of a stock grille he sent away and waited forever to get rechromed (4 years!). When I took it out of the box I asked him if he was really happy with it and showed him what I meant. It is so much work to polish the small pits out from between each bar that very few places take the time to do it. or customers want to pay for it lol.

DSCN0999.JPG
CIMG7947.JPG

CIMG7948.JPG

So he ordered a repro and because he is running with a three peice hood the rad cap portion of it had to be removed.

DSCN8299.JPG

Now it will be fitted and later sent out for plating.
DSCN8300.JPG

Thanks again for peeking in.

Bash

Last edited:
Shame to see a original grille ruined . What a butcher job the only way they could of fixed that is to build up the pits in the cooper tank and keep buffing it down till its smooth trying to remove the pits on the original metal would leave it so thin in spots it would fold in the wind. your right it would of been a large bill but what they did they would of been kinder to smack it in the middle with a sledge. Its dam near inpossible to reverse the process on a peace like that and not loose some base material cost as much or more to get back to where you started and they where fully aware when they put it in the tank it was going to look like crap . F tards.:mad: for gods sake I hope you dont send the repop to the same clowns.

Set the engine in and mounted the rear fenders.

DSCN8292.JPG

He wants the gas tank cover smoothed with a frenched licence plate, running no bumpers.
DSCN8293.JPG

Also frenching in 39 ford taillites,
DSCN8294.JPG

Next will be fitting front fenders.

Thanks for peeking in

Bash

Last edited:
Front fenders

Of course the after market fenders do not look to bad and one always thinks that they will save you a ton of work compared to originals that you might find these days, and maybe? sort of? These ones were not so great here is part of the problem.

CIMG5636.JPG

CIMG5637.JPG

great fit huh? They were also fat and flat in all the wrong places.

Bash

Last edited:
After cutting and refitting the fenders went on,, again they had been shrunk, cut, dollied, slapped and rewelded and the center chin taken out so the fenders butt to one another.

CIMG7944.jpg

CIMG7943.jpg

CIMG5631.jpg

CIMG5635.jpg

I also found out that once the running boards were bolted on they bulged up in the middle quite significantly as the inside edge did not have the same curve as the frame rails. So they also had to be shrunk and refit but it seemed to go not to badly, I was really hoping not to have to cut and reweld causing more warpage. :)
Thanks for peekin in

Bash

Last edited: