A Little Off The Top---Please (part 2)

Great job Bob. Step by step pics explain a ton to us with no idea. THANKS ! Hope to see it and you guys in person this summer.......Colin

I love seeing progress on your car, Bob. What's the plan for the trunklid? Tack the skin pull it off for finishing and then reinstall, or try to finish weld the outer on the inner?

Hello Fella's, This is Steph....I have a pictorial regarding 'the chop'.
When I told Gene Winfield (at the Tradex in Abbotsford, BC) about me holding the dolly up to the roof for Bob from the inside while he welded from the outside and me wearing his grubby old coveralls and "blue flamed" welding cap then taking a pix and posting it to the internet, Gene laughed and laughed. I told Bob if he ever wanted me to do that again, I was holding out for a "pink" cap. My new idol Mr. Winfield, asked if I had my own welding helmet, I said "No" and he said, "If you get one, I'll paint it for you before I go." We were laughing and hugging each other with Bob wondering, "What are those two up to?" Gene told Bob to go find me and make sure I was buying a good one. (Bob wondering, "Good one what?") Sorry for the long missive but in real time it's even longer...lol... Now I can't wait to go out to the garage with Bob and help weld, errrrr....something with my new fancy pink helmet. Gene Winfield turned 84 years young on the 16th of June and we hope he had a wonderful day! What a 'class act' he is and we're so grateful to have met and spent some time with him!! I'll have Bobby post the pictures now. :)

100_2071.jpg

MASK01.jpg

MASK04.jpg

Last edited:
Bob is envious...I got my Gene Winfield painted helmet and he got an autographed T-shirt and poster.

100_2576.jpg

100_2580.jpg

100_2582.jpg

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I'm speechless.....................

............ and jealous...... but not necessarily about the "pink" helmet (although I bet UgLee would wear that) but a helmet painted by none other than Gene would be coooool to the extreme...........

This is a very cool thread, the chop looks great and the story behind the pink helmet is one for the books....good on ya. Keep up the good work......both of you. Cheers :cool:

Thanks for the cool story! Looks like Bob got you a good helmut too;)
Looking forward to more action shots on the project, an ambitious project at that!!
Greg

Way to go Steph! Now, I wouldn't be using that helmut inside Bob's car, you might scratch it.:eek::eek:

Carl

Wicked .......... now there's something to be smiling about. Not everyone can say they hugged Gene Winfield ( not that I'd want to, a handshake would do ) and got a signed pink welding helmet done by him.

I hope I look that spry at 84.

Last edited:
God damm Steff that pic with you and Gene is great. That looks like a mid 40s business coupe in the backgroung. Ps your way better lookin than Gene hee:)