A Little Off The Top---Please (part 2)

God on you Bob, you'll have that nailed by summer and ready for another working bee to rubb it down, good on ya mate that is going to be a tough looking ride.

Bob, I like what you are doing. Just the right amount off IMHO. This will look real nice when it is done.

Now If I could just get that grill into my suitcase, hmmmm.

dam I sure love having a doner car outside the garage--remember the outside the garage part--I needed a small piece of drip rail off the doner so out with the zip blade and yahoo

100_2783.jpg

100_2784.jpg

ready to go to work tomorrow for bead blasting then on the car to fill up this space

100_2785.jpg

checked everything over and shut down and went in the house

came out 1/2 hour to go shopping and looked towards the garage and out from under the tarp was a ton of smoke--crap the doner car was on fire--dragged tarp off--then the smoke really got rolling--buckets of water cause its winter and the hoses are away--dragged the rear seat out and put it out----sure glad we were home and yes the doner car was outside

100_2788.jpg

100_2789.jpg

100_2790.jpg

so--it doesn't matter how careful you think you are it does pay to double---no triple check after using zip blades when there is still upholstery in the car:(

You are a lucky man, that could have gotten really nasty fast like it did at Tiquer's place a few years ago....

Russ

Lucky you looked back Bob or it could have been shits for trumps. That sedan of yours is coming along very nice.

Even though I was having a chuckle over your fauxpa ( being there done that ), I'm glad it didn't turn into a worse case senerio, like the donor car inside a building. Good thing you looked out when you did. All in all a lesson learnt, namely, check for spark ignition after grinding or cutting metal.

A similar story involving a birthday party and sparklers on a cake.
All the guests coats were placed on the master bedroom bed, sparklers on cake were lit in the master bedroom. Cake brought out and happy birthday song sang. Minutes later the coats and bed were on fire. Master bedroom suffered a destroyed mattress and smoke damage, but could have being a lot worse.

Last edited:
....you're one up on me, usually I set my T-shirt on fire and scorch my belly button. Someday I'll graduate to upholstery...just give me time....

Good one Bobby, been there done that. I'll bet the back yard smelled wonderful.:D:D

Carl

Holy crap Bob that to fricken close we don`t need any of that shit going on ah Glad you caught it in time Buddy:cool:

A similar story involving a birthday party and sparklers on a cake.All the guests coats were placed on the master bedroom bed, sparklers on cake were lite in the master bedroom. Cake brought out and happy birthday song sang. Minutes later the coats and bed were on fire. Master bedroom suffered a destroyed mattress and smoke damage, but could have being a lot worse.

Reminds me of my Father-in-law's 70th birthday... The girls made this big surprise birthday cake and put 70 candles on it. Took quite a while to light... fire extingusiher ready... no Dad. He went into the bathroom. Candles are burning down. People are banging on the door, telling him to hurry up and the poor guy was getting cranky (can't a man pee in peace!?) Cake got so hot that the icing caught on fire!

that 70 yr old ground up fibre is the absolute worse material for catching fire and i notice my 48 ford has a ashtray built into the back of the front seat, les stroud could do wonders with that stuff.

Awesome stuff. Well done on the chop. Are you keping it 4 doors? Or are you thinking of welding up the rears? Also, you wouldn't happen to have a good spare trunk on that donor car would you?

Cheers
Kevin

keeping it a more door and yes I do have another trunk lid but won't part with it till we finish the chop in case I need it:D

well been welding a lot and now have the left side welded and ground down to the rough stage --now on to the right side--I can weld across the roof except the last 4 inches in the middle on each side--will need help to finish that as my arms just arn't long enough

100_2826.jpg

100_2827.jpg

corner that was a mess is done and drip rail done

100_2829.jpg

now on to the right side

100_2830.jpg

49 Olds tail lights arrived Friday--the housings will be cut and welded in from inside trunk and lens will be flush mounted--that's the plan for now

100_2832.jpg

Last edited: