1958 Chevrolet Delray

4 months ago I dropped the headlight buckets into my tub of molasses.

QqPG8Yxl.jpg

LlubyO0l.jpg

OgujSbEl.jpg

V5iZpGrl.jpg

RJM8mjNl.jpg

tSnmmZel.jpg

0uazdLPl.jpg

BVxi2vYl.jpg

Took apart the Gauge Cluster and used my headlight repair kit on the lenses.
Started with 800 grit and worked my way up to 4000 grit, then Mothers Polish.
Also, painted the aluminum plate that sits on the cluster as the previous owner scratched the shit out of it.

Original..
ORPCM5nl.jpg

P7xpKx6l.jpg

@CalgaryRodder @Admin
1 Gallon Molasses to 7 Gallons water
Stir well and drop your parts in.
Make sure you have a lid on it, it will stink after a while.

For larger panels I have seen where some folks make there own tub or even use a chest style deep freezer.

I just have a large Rubber Maid container

I made a wooden box and lined it with plastic for my molasses mixed 10 to 1 . I tried 7 to 1 before and it worked faster. My tub was big enough to put in my T coupe trunk lid and later a door. Works awesome! Flash rusting since but nothing you cant basically wipe off with light sanding . I filled a gas tank for my 65 merc 1/2 ton with it as it had sat for years and was pretty funky. pressure washed it out and found that the rust was the only thing holding it together! Much welding later and all was well.

You learn something every day here. :) I had never heard of this before. So what's a normal soak time? Is it 4 months or does it work faster than that?

@GFaRT
Some things will clean up as early as 2 weeks up to 4 weeks.
Others can take longer. A set of coil springs cleaned up like new in almost a years time, this was the longest I have left parts in.
Best to clean any grease off the parts.
I now have the ashtray in and will track it's progress weekly, if I remember. :D

A year later and a little bit more done on the 58.

Finally got around to making a cover for the transmission, it ain't pretty but it is functional.
But that's why consoles are built, Right? :D

And a couple of coats of primer

20211008_102155_resized.jpg
20211012_133925_resized.jpg
20211102_125627_resized.jpg
20211102_125648_resized.jpg

Been cold the last few weeks.

Got out to the garage today and did some electrical testing.

Used my Power Probe to apply 12V to the blower motor switch, TADA it works, all three speeds. (this switch is no longer produced) would have to coble a way to get the 62-64 switch to work.

Tested the two speed wiper motor as well.

Good to know that these are working as they should.

Over the past weekend, opened up a can of worms. :eek:

Just behind the rear seat, the 58 Chev has drain tubes that lead from the window channel down through the floor, or I think they should go right through.
the tubes terminate just inside a pocket and make their own hole to drain out after years of corrosion. :(

@58Yeoman John, should these tubes originally be draining to the ground?
seems no one over on ChevyTalk knows for sure.

Going to try and beadblast the area before cutting it all out and making a patch.

Attachments

• 20220305_152806.jpg
    20220305_152806.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 59
  • 20220305_152810.jpg
    20220305_152810.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 63
  • 20220305_152832.jpg
    20220305_152832.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 63
  • 20220305_152839.jpg
    20220305_152839.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 62
@CalgaryRodder @Admin
1 Gallon Molasses to 7 Gallons water
Stir well and drop your parts in.
Make sure you have a lid on it, it will stink after a while.

For larger panels I have seen where some folks make there own tub or even use a chest style deep freezer.

I just have a large Rubber Maid container
Hmmmmm, it would appear that molasses works pretty good. However, a MUCH better use for it is making rum. I gallon of molasses, 16 gallons of water, 25 pounds of dextrose sugar, 1 pound of yeast, some yeast nutrient and 10 Camden tablets (to keep the fruit flies away) will yield about 3 gallons of rum @40%. For rust removal, I bought some "evaporust" and put some lug nuts in that had sat outside for several years on a 5 gallon pail (so they would have sat in water when to rained). They looked pretty bad. 2 days in evaporust and they came out looking like brand new.

Just behind the rear seat, the 58 Chev has drain tubes that lead from the window channel down through the floor, or I think they should go right through.
the tubes terminate just inside a pocket and make their own hole to drain out after years of corrosion. :(

Going to try and beadblast the area before cutting it all out and making a patch.
Sorry Frank, I cannot answer your question. My wagon does not have those tubes and I never paid attention to their location when I parted out the sedans. I will ask around. John

If you want something that works faster than molasses, you can use white vinegar. 3 or 4 days for some things, larger things may take longer and of course take more vinegar ($ though it isn't that expensive). Two things though the part needs to be totally submerged and do not put anything made of pot metal in it, it will disappear.

Been cold the last few weeks.

Got out to the garage today and did some electrical testing.

Used my Power Probe to apply 12V to the blower motor switch, TADA it works, all three speeds. (this switch is no longer produced) would have to coble a way to get the 62-64 switch to work.

Tested the two speed wiper motor as well.

Good to know that these are working as they should.

Those tubes were more than '58. I had a 2010 Cad sportwagon which had tubes from the gutter around the sunroof. They'd fill up with bird crap every couple of years. easy fix-use the little woman's turkey baster.......marriage was not that easy a fix!