1958 Chevrolet Delray

58chev

Supporting Member
Not sure what happened to my thread but could not find it, mind you all the pictures would be gone thanks to the bucket.

Finally after some time being neglected in the garage, I have spent a few days getting the engine and transmission back into my car.

e3NBl2s.jpg

emWP1mG.jpg

cB8LYV9h.jpg

MUmUYzrh.jpg

Sitting just right

WGN0eZlh.jpg

ERqPS5qh.jpg

0AVesezh.jpg

Last edited:
ThanX for the Tinmann method of stripping metal, it did not take too long to strip the paint off the core support and get it ready for a coat of primer.

It was a bit cold out, so I got the tent set up and the heater going. Was nice and toasty in there.

osZ9YYyl.jpg

R4dyFTel.jpg

x040PkEl.jpg

OiweXvDl.jpg

FEaJFQWl.jpg

Next, to strip the inner wells

Picked up a chassis to strip and prepare.

YIPxYtfh.jpg

Got the front all removed over the weekend.
Need to clean up a mess made by a previous owner, when he added power steering, the weld job on the bracket is messed up.

h510Iq8h.jpg

7c6Gu9Oh.jpg

JQ8IqPoh.jpg

Had a week off work to work in the garage.

Got he tired old chassis out from under the Delray and the newer one in.

Coated with Eastwood's Rust Encapsulator Platinum

jxz6kf0l.jpg

The a top coat of Tremclad

XoBZIPLl.jpg

bkOviWWl.jpg

3PGdHXLl.jpg

The chassis had quite the crack at the rear shock mount.

jEm6v3hl.jpg

u43hcJhl.jpg

h2H9ttVl.jpg

l2O8pC7l.jpg

GMzdktll.jpg

Have already got the front suspension in and engine/trans mounted.
Just need to run gas and brake lines before dropping the body back on.

Nice to see it coming along. Your frame finish is lookin' good alright.

Finally got around to cleaning up the rear end to get it ready for paint and a disk brake upgrade.

I am very surprised that this came off an Ontario car, looks pristine under all the crud.

1JV7eayl.jpg

All the crap on the ground came off the rearend.

JA7qaAwl.jpg

DYJgTfAl.jpg

YbGKPhil.jpg

I find it interesting how we can sometimes do something for years and then, out of the blue, see a different (better) way that should have been obvious but was just never considered. I'm referring to lifting a motor. I have ALWAYS lifted by the four corner bolts of the intake manifold. I had seen other use a lifting plate bolted to the carb pad but was never keen on that idea as I'm not that confident in 5/16 bolts threaded into aluminum having the strength. I have never seen a motor lifted by the exhaust manifold bolts prior to this thread and I must say, I REALLY like that idea, much better than using the intake bolts like i have always done (although i would install the motor without the valve covers installed to prevent any possible damage by the chain). This is a great example, IMO, of how important sharing picture is. You just never know what, in the picture, might become valuable info to the viewer. That is a not so subtle hint by the way :D

licensed_to_kill,
I have a carb plate, went to use it once and felt uneasy about lifting with smaller bolts. Also, I have read where some have failed.

I use Grade 70 chain and grade 8 bolts in the manifold holes, have moved my engine in and out a few times this way over the years and only scratched the paint on the valve covers.

Glad my pictures can help you or anyone one out. :D

Any updates?

HI JohnnyBgood,
Just received a shipment that contained my exhaust, hope to get some of that on this weekend.

Waiting on an axle puller/slide hammer to come in, need to pull apart my other differential to see if the gears in it are better than the one I have ready for paint.

That's about all I got for now. Pictures when I do get in the garage a turn a wrench.

We have had some great weather lately.
Some progress on my 58. Chassis is almost complete

Pressed in new longer wheel studs to a accommodate rear Disk brake conversion

gomiYHSl.jpg

Using a pipe clamp to press in the bushing. Near impossible to get that in my 3Ton press. :D

RciPANql.jpg

Painted a few parts.

Of6A0OJl.jpg

Zpi5H9Al.jpg

d0sjsXtl.jpg

Ybd1oNvl.jpg

afK7xigl.jpg

Rear just about all back together, just need to slide the axle shafts back in

nNOMErsl.jpg

Shortened / Balanced driveshaft in.

1pjh6OHl.jpg

Finalizing the Rear Disk Brake upgrade.
Kit is The Right Stuff Detailing, one of only a few that make a 58 Chevy specific kit.

Welded on the tabs for the flex hose.
Had to order a new brass block for the rear lines, the original one has a crack.

oWE61AUl.jpg

Using a cunifer tubing and an older MasterCool flaring tool.

YJHdYNZl.jpg

z3ZqHitl.jpg

6HCB2jTl.jpg

t0tOeBxl.jpg

Then run the line to the front for the master cylinder.

e0wcNNUl.jpg

5PrRsnJl.jpg

bxjgOiVl.jpg

Last edited:
Nice...when I was at this stage I got some small brushes and tried my hand at pin stripping the frame....good thing it’s underneath the car..don’t have a steady hand but it was fun...

Comming along real fine...thx for the update.

How was it working with the comfier tubing vs the traditional stuff.