1938 Ford Pickup build

Yeah a few too many moving parts for me on the serpentine, I tried to steer away to something with fewer moving parts but it was not to be.
Looks like if you can get a reverse rotation water pump then you could re-rout the belt to eliminate the three stationary idlers. You'd also have to machine the grooves off the WP shive as the back side of the belt would drive the WP. But yes it all looks great.

One step closer. :)
DSCN4444.JPG
DSCN4444.JPG
DSCN4445.JPG

thanks for peekin in...

Well yesterday... got it fired up aaand, someone (me) forgot to tighten the lower rad hose enough so now everything has this greenish slimy film on it. But it sounds pretty good. Good news is now I can carry on with the assembly, bad news is I have no idea how to post a video.
On another front, worked out the indicator lights (signals, hi/low beams). I cast my own lenses, made everything from scratch. I tried to source things that I could adapt to work there was nothing I could find ready made. So I ravaged a couple head lamps (the kind you wear ie; riding a bike at night sort of thing) did some castings and managed to make them somewhat presentable and working. I still have some fine tuning to do, the cuts (plasma not lazer) are not real clean so have some edges to clean up and LED's need to be toned down a bit with resisters. (too bright).
DSCN4551.JPG
DSCN4549.JPG
DSCN4554.JPG
DSCN4552.JPG
DSCN4553.JPG

I haven't worked on it much in a while however now moving ahead again, thanks for peekin in.

Last edited:
Looks very neat. I have reservations on those Alloy plates that hold the whole serpentine system as I have seen a few get broken bolts after a while, I stopped to help a guy on the side of the road with a 32 roadster once and had broken bolts, my first thought was perhaps they had worn loose but he said he keeps an eye on them and had checked them before he left Brisbane for the run. I really don't know but perhaps I wonder if the Alloy expands (grows ) just enough to brake the bolts. There were a couple of others I had seen but didn't help on because there were others there helping but seems like it is not an uncommon thing.

Looks very neat. I have reservations on those Alloy plates that hold the whole serpentine system as I have seen a few get broken bolts after a while, I stopped to help a guy on the side of the road with a 32 roadster once and had broken bolts, my first thought was perhaps they had worn loose but he said he keeps an eye on them and had checked them before he left Brisbane for the run. I really don't know but perhaps I wonder if the Alloy expands (grows ) just enough to brake the bolts. There were a couple of others I had seen but didn't help on because there were others there helping but seems like it is not an uncommon thing.
Interesting John, I don't know as I have never used them (or been able to afford them) myself. I do not however see this thing seeing that much use, unfortunately or perhaps fortunately?

Well that is real cool, casting your own lenses…now there is something I have heard others do, not often at all…sure would like to know more about that. Surely Google would get me there…would you do it again?
Thanks for adding your efforts here.
Greg

Well that is real cool, casting your own lenses…now there is something I have heard others do, not often at all…sure would like to know more about that. Surely Google would get me there…would you do it again?
Thanks for adding your efforts here.
Greg
Greg, I have done it on a few occasions, not that hard really. Not saying it couldn't be but what I did was pretty simple. Bought some die's (red, green, blue) at the hobby shop and used them to tint the resin. Made a simple mold and cut and trimmed the piece to size.

Thanks for sharing. On the molds, simple as it may have been, could you elaborate please? Would you use popsicle sticks, some of the wife’s leftover plastic kitchen wares or tin foil? Being a bit of a smart ass here, but my curiosity is peaked. Is there a need or a desire to use a releasing agent?
Thanks again! Love the DIY attitude.
Greg

Well as it turns out it wasn't just the rad hose, the gasket on the rear of the pre-assembled pump blew out, so now the whole front of the engine is apart again. ugh. Tomorrow I will head out to get a new gasket and start all over again.
DSCN4557.JPG
DSCN4558.JPG

Greg as I mentioned the process I used was pretty simple, as simple as it gets. If you are interested I will try to explain it and you will see what I mean. Here goes...

I used these, plastic containers from electrical components I bought. (packaging they came in)
DSCN4559.JPG

As they were plastic and I figured disposable I did not use any release agent, thought if I destroyed them in the process it wasn't much of a loss.
I cast the two green parts of the V. When I took them out I sanded them to shape them a bit then I JB welded them together in the V shape as well as used the JB to block light transfer from the green to the red lens, basically putting a thin black line in the lens when done. Then I used tin foil and tape and enclosed the V and poured my red lens. (No photo) Oh I had to check the cut out to check shape and found I had to cut into the sides of the turn signal lens to accommodate the base of the 8. I used foil and regular masking tape as I knew I would be sanding it to shape anyway. These are the dyes I bought from the hobby shop, the resin I used was what I had, Epoxy resin for fiberglass work, it is clear and sticks to anything, plus I already had it. This after all was still an experiment to see if it would work. lol
DSCN4562.JPG

I couldn't find any appropriate LED's but then found these at the Dollar store, and savaged them for the reflector and LED.
DSCN4563.JPG

I sanded it till I got the right shape and JB'd the reflectors in place. A bit of clean up still to be done here yet. Also some red plugs (to the left) I was going to cut to fit into the V but then decided to just try pouring it instead.
DSCN4564.JPG
DSCN4566.JPG

Last edited:
The LED's stripped out of the lamp.
DSCN4567.JPG

Another shot of the reflectors, I chose to use them because with them the individual LED's don't show up through the lens, it has a more even light.
DSCN4568.JPG
DSCN4569.JPG

Finally the H/L LED and backing plate in place.
DSCN4570.JPG

And there you have it, as I said pretty simple and nothing fancy but it does what I wanted it to.

thanks for peekin in...

Wow! I thank you for that! A great little project with the much larger program. That was great, yes it would give me…maybe others a look into what it could take to pull that off…brilliant!!
Top shelf.
Greg

Well haven't updated this for a while, been busy with other fires. Anyway here is where it's at now.

Yup, colored spaghetti. I wanted to get the dash and instrumentation in it and fire it once more to make sure no leaks before I continue with assembly.
DSCN4606.JPG
The dash is starting to come together, just have to terminate a few more wires.
DSCN4610.JPG
DSCN4613.JPG
The lower pieces of the dash have to be painted yet they will be going the tan color.
DSCN3682.JPG
The bed is painted now too. I didn't go with the wood, lol I am not a carpenter lol.
DSCN4616.JPG

That's it for now thanks for peeking in.

Last edited:
Looks amazing Bash ......thanx for the tutorial on the casting --cool......too bad didnt know using that vintage controller --have one sitting on the shelf that picked up wrong and couldn't return.

Cheers Shane

Well it has been a while since an update on this one. Reason being things are not going well. I don't know if it is simply a Covid thing as they claim or folks are just using it as an excuse for everything from no stock, supply, poor quality or crappy service. What ever it is it sucks, I am having a heck of a time sourcing things that used to be no problem. Even my glass guy is trying to convince me to use clear glass instead of any tint because the consistency of tint is terrible these days as well as supply is almost non existant. Apparently a huge shipload of glass burnt in BC a while back?

Anyway here is a small update.

DSCN4637.JPG
DSCN4638.JPG
DSCN4639.JPG
DSCN4682.JPG

That's it for now, thanks for peekin in.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting Neil and sorry to hear of the ongoing supply issues. I know it doesn't make it better, but I think it's safe to say we are all experiencing the same problems. I can't imagine trying to build a complete these days as just keeping up with maintenance and minor updates has driven me crazy these last couple years. Looking good anyway!!