1938 Ford Pickup build

Bash and scratch

Supporting Member
I thought perhaps I would start a build thread on the 38 PU with passenger car sheet metal. I haven't posted much for a while and the image thing kind of had me flustered but I think I got it? :confused:

Anyway here goes. This PU was already underway (some one else ran out of motivation I guess) but a few things just needed a bit more attention. There were patches lap welded and only tacked so I cut them off and butt welded them. Plus the truck suspension was way too high. The box had been channeled over the frame in an effort to compensate but that threw the cab mounts and front end sheet metal way out of wack. It actually took me a bit to figure out what had happened as the bumper arms were coming out 3 inches bellow the fenders not through them.

pMpecBf.jpg

0oWYBz4.jpg

pQgocMV.jpg

YnBZrWG.jpg

The fun part, cleaning and stripping the pannels
nTtlnby.jpg

xX3zMZT.jpg

Typically the bottoms of the doors were rusted and needed repair.
VJqo4BV.jpg

more to come thanks for peeking in

Thanks Johnny I use several methods sanding with an eight inch soft pad for the larger areas, stripping pads (like hard scotchbrite pads I always sand with sand paper after this method), sometimes sand blasting or dipping then sanding, and an assortment of various small wheels and discs even in a drill.

Last edited:
Personally never liked the stock 38 PU front end and grill. It just never seemed to flow it always looked awkward to me. So decided to try a 38 deluxe passenger car front end. Oh I might mention here it does NOT just bolt on.. lol

zO6jCF2.jpg

uIzzYYm.jpg

YV3uXGt.jpg

Last edited:
I too never have been a big fan of the 38-39 grills, I think your direction here with the 38 car front end is going to look awesome!

I too like the plan. The car front end definitely improves the look. For what it's worth, $0.02, I would either stretch the frame or move the cab back to avoid shortening the hood as I think the longer the hood is the better the look.

Here's one.

Alway been a fan of your work but I have to disagree with you guys. The front end you are putting on is going to look great. I also think the truck front end has a very iconic look to it. It’s a truck front end that you either love or hate..I guess like the horseshoe Edsel grill. Just my opinion..anyways it seems like that old Willys is feeling a little neglected...now that you have this project....so if you ever need to find a new home for it I might be able to help you out...cheers..

Johnny I hear you and I get it (I own a 39 Willys) it's the face only a mother could love thing LOL.

Gfart I had thought of that option and well the first idea involved a new chassis and suspension. But the budget then said no way so I had some stuff to modify. I did move the cab back an inch. I also had to modify the bolting edge of the fenders to match the truck cowl.

I made a hybrid hood, as I didn't have a car hood, and the cowl is different from car to truck anyway.

ipbIiSa.jpg

AN8FGmW.jpg

Then cleaned and epoxied more bits.
o0a50eC.jpg

zi3JyHu.jpg

Then I didn't like the way the belt line flowed so I extended it from the peak to flow off the V8 emblem.
XkYqRjA.jpg

D0KXctD.jpg

snlXp6o.jpg

Thanks for peekin in

Last edited:
X4 on the facelift ! I love it! To me those oval grills look better fenderless. A great improvement I think. But its really about what YOU think looks right. Myself , Id be photoshopping a 3" haircut on it also to see what that might look like :D, but it looks cool the way it is also.
Awesome work as usual :cool:

X4 on the facelift ! I love it! To me those oval grills look better fenderless. A great improvement I think. But its really about what YOU think looks right. Myself , Id be photoshopping a 3" haircut on it also to see what that might look like :D, but it looks cool the way it is also.
Awesome work as usual :cool:

Ratrig it was a consideration but then I stood back and looked at it and thought these cabs are small enough plus I thought it might make it look long as a frieght train, so opted out for now will have another look when all is in ep.

Got a set of 39 standard running boards so in order to have them bolt up to the sheet metal I had to change the front mounting and fill in from the passenger car frame mounts.

OGlRYDh.jpg

mWoY4xb.jpg

Made a filler pannel for the box as well.
Yuldgh3.jpg

Rpn6ei2.jpg

N2fLpig.jpg

Thanks for peekin in.

Reactions: jvo
Oooo ya, maybe just a little off the top. lol
Either way, love the way it’s looking.

Reactions: 1GH
While it was in the air it was time to drop this thing 8" in the rear so everything could be assembled properly and no more channeled box.

These were the mounts that needed changing.
FmrpV9x.jpg

wOUpDwj.jpg

I found more surprises behind them as well :eek:
BINtHcf.jpg

jye73xA.jpg

Made some new front spring perches.
vSqOEF1.jpg

Cleaned off the mounts on the diff to be relocated.
6O0VaHX.jpg

sFKtIX5.jpg

And located and cut new perches into frame.
vcVSHo3.jpg

I left everything back here just tacked in for now so I can double/triple check my measurements when the sheet metal is all off the chassis. Oh and a new main leaf was made up with reversed eyes to aid in the drop. Also a set of dropped spindles were installed in the front dropping it 2 inches.

Thanks for peekin in

Last edited:
Decided that 38 Zyphr tail lights would be the way to go and I didn't want them in the roll pan so decided to french them into the fenders.

Where I thought I'd put em.
TyDilE1.jpg

I made some cups but decided I didn't want them to deep so wasted a bit of metal and cut them down.
6rtXCl0.jpg

5YpfcmF.jpg

y1fbFKF.jpg

thanks for peekin in.

Last edited:
Then it was time to break down the box and get it into EP.

K9FabFj.jpg

Did some repairs on the box sides, fixed some nasty older repairs and shot some EP.
FbBL3NL.jpg

I put a few more reinforcements in the bed as I won't be putting the wood back in, It will be an all metal bed floor.
Wx9MuOw.jpg

rATKWUa.jpg

RLuWI75.jpg

MhYkpJx.jpg

thanks for peekin in

Great set of updates! Love the taillight treatments, mild frenching.
Thanks for your efforts to entertain :)
Greg

Love to see you posting again. Hopefully it gives us all motivation. Huge project, little bits each step.