1938 Ford Pickup build

Well after almost 4 months I finally got the rad I had ordered. So set it in there today had to drop the mounts on the chassis (using a 36 Ford style rad with the 38 passenger sheet metal). It might be nice to look at and easy to clean but working around this shiny magpie stuff is not fun. So scared to scratch it up! Also got the metal bed floor welded in.

sKHVTeC.jpg

jBqaw8W.jpg

qFjsOvF.jpg

It's definitely going to be tight in there. I still have to mount an A/C condenser on the front of the rad, however in order to do that I will have to move a brace.
IfYdQ4i.jpg

I'm going to leave it loose for now, waiting on some sheet metal to make fender braces/stone guards.

thanks for peekin in

Last edited:
Well I got my sheet metal order so I made some paper templates then transferred them to card board did a test fit then tranferred them to the metal.
These are fender braces slash stone guards as I just know this thing will see some gravel roads at some point in it's life.

DVvucFx.jpg

8pq1xsE.jpg

All cut out I did some bead rolling to stiffen them a bit.
Only had time to get one fit today will finish welding the mounting tabs on tomorrow.
wxVCg7U.jpg

2tQuGOo.jpg

That's it for today thanks for peekin in. Stay safe everyone!

Last edited:
The rocks will rattle like crazy on those. It's a shame to cover up such good work but are you going to put gravel guard on them ?

Interesting addition, practical to be living in Sk.....or Canada even.

Hey Bash, am I not seeing sgraight or is there something out of the norm with the studs on the rear drum?
Better rocks hit those panels than the ends of the fenders.
Dont know why but it
reminds me of Vic Halabura's (spelling) Nova back in the 70s.
Made special "rubber flaps" to stop rubber from being thrown up onto the 1/4 panels from his bleach box burnouts at SIR.
Fred

The rocks will rattle like crazy on those. It's a shame to cover up such good work but are you going to put gravel guard on them ?

Likely box liner Ray so they aren't so noisy. At least the rear of the fenders will be protected from the starring from flying rocks lol.

Hey Bash, am I not seeing sgraight or is there something out of the norm with the studs on the rear drum?
Fred

Yeah Fred I have never seen wheels like this before and I hate this set up it's ignorrant. The wheels themselves have huge holes for the studs, there is an off center hole drilled and threaded in a sleeve that is threaded to go over the stud and again for the lug nuts. I guess it was some ones idea for uni lugs using a camming method? horrible idea!

They will not stay but for now they roll.

Hey Bash, over at another site (Mopar) a guy has some NOS sheet metal that he doesn't know what it is. Do you recognize it? I had a '37 Ford coupe and they kind of look like the front hood latch area. (You might be able to steal it)

CgH9g2Zl.jpg

KFUTpA4l.jpg

Hey Bash, over at another site (Mopar) a guy has some NOS sheet metal that he doesn't know what it is. Do you recognize it? I had a '37 Ford coupe and they kind of look like the front hood latch area. (You might be able to steal it)

Not sure exactly what it is from kinda looks like could be Chev? It looks simular to what the 47-54 chev trucks use? Hard to say. Thanks for thinking of me Ray but I don't think I have a need for it.

Here is a better look at those stupid Apliance uni lug wheels. I tell you I can't wait for the day I take them off for the last time, or rather putting them on is the issue. I don't even see how this could center the wheel? They are just ignorant I even had to turn down one of my sockets on the lathe to get it to work on the nuts. I hate em!

OEYcbsU.jpg

EN8Svmf.jpg

6ZIEsNV.jpg

Finished making and mounting the rest of the guards today. Should help stop some of the rocks but it also gives the option of someplace to mount mud flaps if needed/wanted? The boys in blue have been enforcing the regulation of flaps on trucks and writing tickets. A lot of factory stuff doesn't meet the standard so they hand you a ticket. buggers

9yo0wsM.jpg

a2b93ys.jpg

2vlhJCm.jpg

gb3mq6N.jpg

thanks for peekin in

Last edited:
They're are just ignorant I even had to turn down one of my sockets on the lathe to get it to work on the nuts. I hate em!
So Bash, now exactly how do you feel about Appliance Uilug wheels??:D
I wouldn't be surprised if they went through Kelvins when I was hangin around there. He would've polished them up and give you a SMOKEN deal,
installed of course with a set of tires,, you'll lov'em!
Fred

Last edited:
Pretty cool Bash, is this banger for you mate or a job ? once again you are doing a fantastic job. One thing though, when you have the dogs ride in the back the steel floor will burn the dogs paws, that is why you see some guys with utes out here have wooden floor boards in the tray :) :D

Here is a better look at those stupid Appliance uni lug wheels.

Just a random thought (the only kind I have) that maybe that is some kind of multi car fit system, kind of like the early ET with the different washers but these would use different concentric nuts for different cars ? :confused:

Certainly theft proof.

Bling, the light just went on, (old fool) I guess that is why they are called uni lug ?

Curious comment about the mud flaps. I am a function over form guy and mutter under your breath about me but I like mud flaps. That truck will be pretty low and tires fully covered Bash, would “the man” have any complaints about that ?