What Did You Do Today? (2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Enough of this procrastinating bullshit.

Worked in my 'lil barn today ... rolled the Studie closer to the door. :D bah ha ha ha .....

I needed to make enough room behind the car to put a set of stairs in to the second floor, so I was busy moving stuff around.

I'm going to eliminate the outside stairs at the back of the building.

I may leave the door just in case I need to hoist something up there that can't go up the stairs.

Going to start digging the foundation for the 2 bay addition to my little barn.

The barn roof needs replacing, so there's no need doing it twice, so I have to get my ass in gear and get things rolling.

I've showed these photos before, but for those that haven't seen my 'lil barn, here's a quick rendition of the final look.

Last edited:
I hope you take the Studdy out before you start all this work Bullet or something might just fall down onto it, you know how Murphies law works.

Enough of this procrastinating bullshit.

Worked in my 'lil barn today ... rolled the Studie closer to the door. :D bah ha ha ha .....

I needed to make enough room behind the car to put a set of stairs in to the second floor, so I was busy moving stuff around.

I'm going to eliminate the outside stairs at the back of the building.

I may leave the door just in case I need to hoist something up there that can't go up the stairs.

Going to start digging the foundation for the 2 bay addition to my little barn.

The barn roof needs replacing, so there's no need doing it twice, so I have to get my ass in gear and get things rolling.

I've showed these photos before, but for those that haven't seen my 'lil barn, here's a quick rendition of the final look.

Good on you Darryl, you won't regret the extra room. Of course, when your done, you will feel that it's not big enough.:D

Carl

Got all the shelving tore off the walls and the hole cut in the floor for the stairs.
Waiting on a friend that will come do the stair stringers for me tomorrow evening,
I am not that good with carpentry ... measure once, cut twice, that's me.
I'm certainly not Canada's Worst Handyman that's for sure.
I can do most things, I just don't like tackling stair treads,
and compound angles are definitely out of the question.
Oh ... and John, have no fear, I'll move the Studie out of the barn before doing any major work.
It's a hip roof and it's sagging in the middle, so I'm leave the end walls standing,
and completely tearing the roof off, sheathing, stringers and peak, exposing the second floor.
I'll make a new laminated beam for the peak, new stringers
and will take out the mansard angle on the long sloping roof by raising the height of the reno wall with a short pony wall.

Last edited:
ha ha ... didn't know what else to call it.
Need to take out the mansard angle and raise the height of the wall on the reno side to support the long stringers of the sloping roof.
Does that make any sense ?

Last edited:
Are you going to put a hoist in? We are all getting older and crawling around on a creeper starts to get old fast...

Russ

Those rafters look very long. Dont think you will be able to buy wood that long. Might work better if you have trusses made for that length.

if your putting a second floor in the addition you could put another knee wall [pony] to hold the rafters up. You should be able to buy long enough wood for that length.

Last edited:
They dismantle the old Lutheran Church around the corner from me and I bought 60 - 26' long 100 year old hand hewed hemlock 3" x 12" roof trusses for $600. / $10 ea.
So I think I have plenty to do the job, if I truss it to the knee wall ( better term than pony ) and then truss it again to the outer wall.
Yes I suppose I could put another knee wall mid way in the new addition between the garage doors and have pipe supports if need be.

I would like to put a hoist in the old section of barn if I remove the upper floor, or cut the floor out just enough for a car on the hoist and have a mezzanine walk around for storage.

Last edited:
Check with your township if your getting a permit. I did a old barn for a buddy and they would not let us use the old hand made barn rafters he bought for the project. We went and had some full 3x12s cut to use. Again they stopped us. Had to have a grade stamp on the wood. Put a knee wall in the attic space suported by a lam. beam with lumber yard 2x10s rafters. Passed no problem. I always get a permit just because when you pay for a permit I can bug them as much as I want for info to make it right. Cheaper than an engineer. You might not have to jump through as many hoops in NS.

There's a method to my madness.
Don't need a building permit to replace a roof,
but I'll need to rethink structural strength for the expanse of a roof that's needed for addition.
I plan first to add an open sided lean-to type tractor / machinery shelter on the side of the existing structure.
As time passes, and money permits, I'll fill in the walls. :D

Last edited:
Was a wet Father's Day S&S in Bridgewater NS. today
That'll be a first, it's always been a very nice hot day for the show.
Hopefully the Graves Island / Chester Basin Show on June 21st will be better .. rain date of June 22nd.
Anyway, photos of todays turn out are in the NS Events Forum.
QUICK LINK http://www.canadianrodder.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18444

Last edited:
Moist here too.....

It did threaten to be a nasty wet Fathers Day out here (lower mainland of B.C.) too and flooding situations did pop up in many Vancouver areas. The car count was waaay down at our Fathers Day show in nearby Mission, but many of us brave souls (even FargoDad n his lovely bride) showed up. Ewald and his possee showed up too; almost looked more like 'Mothers Day' out there today, LOL!!

No pictures were taken by anyone that I know.....

Spent about 4 hours trying to post pics on this site. Finally got it after some coaching and a couple of wobbly pops..

Trying to finish this up.......

imagejpg2_zpse3a15d1e.jpg

Great weekend, played in the garage/ham shack got a HF antenna up. Made an easy contact into Mississippi. That was cool.
Sunday, "rested" in the shop :) and built a stand for the box break to sit on and wheel around the shop as needed. I will get it painted this week and post up some pictures....and there was a bunch of yard work as well. Next weekends plans for the start of "The Purge". Lots of stuff needing to move along to new homes/shops.
Good weekend!
Greg

Last edited:
Bullet, I didn't think this warranted a build thread. But it is an engine rebuild on 52 Ply; 218 flathead, .040 over cyl, .050 head shave and a header :D
Along with an overdrive being added after a rebuild (that was a nightmare) and disc brake installation on front, with shock relocation.
Going to be divorce papers handed out pretty quick if i dont get HER car back together :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.