What's on the menu ?

Geez, I dunno what's happened, last post to this thread was Aug 1/2023!

Anyways, Still consuming Pork Shoulder Blade Steaks, BUT, for awhile now, I've been buying them "Skin on", and over the winter have gotten the process DIALED.....for indoors cooking, first, it gets "stood up" in a frying pan on the stove with the skin side down. just above halfway between Low and medium, for about 30 minutes (checking it ~ every ten or so minutes). Once the skin has crisped up, then it goes into a 300 deg F oven (time varies with weight) @ 600g , it's about 12-14 min both sides, followed by ~3-5 min each side under the broiler. (it gets poked with a digital thermometer after the second side, time under the broiler is based on the temp on the digital thermometer. If it's around 120 deg F, then 3-5 is enough that it will be @ low to mid 140's after the broiler and a 5 min rest. The big boys ((28-32oz) take longer for both steps (oven & broiler)

Sadly, it appears I neglected to take a pic of the skin after it's time on the stove, but there's a Money shot at the bottom of it after it came out of the oven!

First two pics are After Skin was scored and Dry Brining

Before the money shot, more data:)

**Did this one Sun Mar 10 PM for supper.

Well, this one was big (1 lb, 15.4 oz, or 31.4oz), but it was also thick! Made it a lot easier to stand it up in the pan with the skin side down to get it partially cooked, as if left, the skin wouldn't be edible by the time the meat was cooked.
Tried something different this time, left the burner below medium, and just left that puppy sitting in the pan, skin side down.....checked it at least every ten minutes, ended up being on the stove for 30 minutes. Lower temp for longer works better than the method used on the last few before this one!
Then I put it in the oven @ 300 deg F for 17 minutes/side. After doing the second side, I pulled the pan out of the oven and gave it a few pokes with the thermometer, most spots checked were in the mid 120's, close to the skin side was even higher!
So, I turned the switch to broiler and gave it about 5 min/side, followed by 5 minutes resting, and it was perfect!

The Money Shot:
dFzhsKu.png

**I was no longer hungry by the time I'd made this disappear ! :)

**Forgot to mention two things in Post #80 above:

1) I've got the "indoors" stovetop/oven cooking of these dialed, BUT the BBQ is a whole different deal because of the substantial Fat Cap directly behind the skin, it's a battle against the fat rendering out and igniting when it hits the "Flavour Bars" down below the grates :(
I guess I'm going to have to dial back the heat a whole bunch, and then figure out how long to cook in on the grille. But it will be worth it, because although you can get the cook (temp) just where you want it in the oven, you can immediately notice the lack of "char" that it would have if done on a grille.....

2) For Shane: I've found a great little market down in Chinatown, Pork Shoulder is $3.20/lb, cut any way you want it, and they vacuum seal them for me before I leave! It's great, because they're so much easier to thaw when they're sealed up, just put the plug in the sink, fill it with water, and a two cup measuring cup full of water on top to keep it submerged.....

James

**Forgot to mention two things in Post #80 above:

1) I've got the "indoors" stovetop/oven cooking of these dialed, BUT the BBQ is a whole different deal because of the substantial Fat Cap directly behind the skin, it's a battle against the fat rendering out and igniting when it hits the "Flavour Bars" down below the grates :(
I guess I'm going to have to dial back the heat a whole bunch, and then figure out how long to cook in on the grille. But it will be worth it, because although you can get the cook (temp) just where you want it in the oven, you can immediately notice the lack of "char" that it would have if done on a grille.....

2) For Shane: I've found a great little market down in Chinatown, Pork Shoulder is $3.20/lb, cut any way you want it, and they vacuum seal them for me before I leave! It's great, because they're so much easier to thaw when they're sealed up, just put the plug in the sink, fill it with water, and a two cup measuring cup full of water on top to keep it submerged.....

James
Awesome James .............always looking for new stuff . The same ol same ol is just that

Cheers Shane