What's on the menu ?

Makes you wonder how a young family can make a go of it ........ I guess we all survived .

Here's what I've been buying lately, and it's less $$ and keeps better that the Tre Stelle:

Kirkland Mozzarella 1.15kg, last one bought several weeks back was $14.99, they've since gone up to $16.79, but currently on special @ $13.79.

It keeps just fine, I'm a household of one, and I can plow through it before it spoils

Item 1154961

Bad news is, when I check the website of a regular local Costco, that item # doesn't come up??

But the Costco Business Center in West end of Edmonton has it in stock, I've bought several there

**IIRC, there are currently only ~SIX Costco Business Centers across Canada, but I expect this will increase as time goes by

I've found the Costco website to be hit and miss on items showing up on their website.....

***Brian: See large, bolded RED text below, I've already conceded that I'm going to have to use a binder.....
Well, tonight I started with ~1lb-11oz of ground beef. Previous attempts have shown that a single egg was not entirely adequate as a binder. Having discussed this with one friend, he suggested adding a bit of fat. SO, tonight in addition to the egg, I added ~1 heaping teaspoon of bacon fat and thoroughly mixed it all together. By the time it was mixed, you could tell it was going to stay together.
Cooked two patties, with zero crumbling, and it was tasty!!
So, looks like problem solved!!

Well, tonight I started with ~1lb-11oz of ground beef. Previous attempts have shown that a single egg was not entirely adequate as a binder. Having discussed this with one friend, he suggested adding a bit of fat. SO, tonight in addition to the egg, I added ~1 heaping teaspoon of bacon fat and thoroughly mixed it all together. By the time it was mixed, you could tell it was going to stay together.
Cooked two patties, with zero crumbling, and it was tasty!!
So, looks like problem solved!!
where is the pic ? you know it didnt happen without pictures :)

Shane: Dude, you're HIGH MAINTENANCE !! lol

They're not much to look at, but tasty nontheless, and keep in mind, this one spent the night in the fridge:) started off @ 7oz, didn't weigh it after it came out of the frying pan. The other one, which I inhaled last night was the last one I made, and it weighed 8.5oz pre-cook.
There are two more 7oz in the fridge waiting their turn in the pan , or on BBQ, depending on the weather!

mUWcTRV.jpg

Well, nothing has been defrosted, so gotta make due with what's at hand, so.....4 eggs + ~35g grated cheddar +~35g grated mozza + a generous, unmeasured portion of bacon+ a few minutes in an 11" frying pan yields what you see below!!

mmmmmmmmmmm.....BACON ! *Ledbetters Bacon Ends from Costco Business Center
a2JhEbR.jpg

First layer of cheese
GrpRRxS.jpg

Add the bacon !
TcupdVu.jpg

Then add the second layer of cheese
bYgLjfT.jpg

Then, roll it up, cut in half and give it a quick zap in the microwave to properly melt the cheese !

**And for scale, that plate is roughly 10.5" dia, if the omelet is left whole, it touches the inner blue ring on both sides of the plate !

CUtCmuI.jpg

Last edited:
Well, nothing has been defrosted, so gotta make due with what's at hand, so.....4 eggs + ~35g grated cheddar +~35g grated mozza + a generous, unmeasured portion of bacon+ a few minutes in an 11" frying pan yields what you see below!!

mmmmmmmmmmm.....BACON ! *Ledbetters Bacon Ends from Costco Business Center
a2JhEbR.jpg

First layer of cheese
GrpRRxS.jpg

Add the bacon !
TcupdVu.jpg

Then add the second layer of cheese
bYgLjfT.jpg

Then, roll it up, cut in half and give it a quick zap in the microwave to properly melt the cheese !

**And for scale, that plate is roughly 10.5" dia

CUtCmuI.jpg
Bacon always does it better.

click to enalrge

The Barberian!
3 strips of maple bacon, 3 large farmer's sausages, 3 generous slices of deli ham and 3 hand cut thick peameal bacon slabs.. all on a bed of hand cut home fries. No eggs.

Attachments

• May be an image of French toast.jpeg
    May be an image of French toast.jpeg
    102.4 KB · Views: 36
click to enlarge

Bacon, Egg and Cheese Sandwich with Maple Sriracha Caramelized Bacon and Habanero Jack Cheese on a toasted bun.

Attachments

• May be an image of egg yolk.jpeg
    May be an image of egg yolk.jpeg
    103.2 KB · Views: 37
click to enlarge

Some history of an infamour sandwich.
One theory of the sandwich's origin is that in 1917, Havana, Cuba, bar owner José "Sloppy Joe" Abeal y Otero created "a simple sandwich filled with ground beef stewed in tomatoes”.
This was possibly his interpretation of ropa vieja or picadillo.
His bar was reportedly frequented by Americans and Britons, including Errol Flynn, Ernest Hemingway, and Graham Greene. Circa 1937, Hemingway convinced Joe Russell, a bar owner in Key West, Florida, to rename his Silver Slipper bar Sloppy Joe's.

Attachments

• preview.jpeg
    preview.jpeg
    98.6 KB · Views: 29
Smoked up a pork shoulder roast yesterday ------was good but couldn't find a deal like James gets on his meat lol

need some new recipes for the Q ?

IMG_20230716_150050002.jpg

Smoked up a pork shoulder roast yesterday ------was good but couldn't find a deal like James gets on his meat lol

need some new recipes for the Q ?

View attachment 8905

Shane: Well, between Safeway, IGA, Sobeys, etc, one of them is bound to have Pork Shoulder Blade Roasts on sale every 2 or 3 weeks, and In the past couple months, I've bought @ $2.99/lb & $3.49/lb. The last couple times, I've talked to one of the cutters, and just had them bandsaw a roast into 1.5" thick Pork Shoulder Blade Steaks. They're yummy, and the only seasoning I'm using is a liberal dosing on all sides of coarse salt, left out on the counter for as long as you can to temper, and let the salt do it's magic!!

The one in pics below was from Sun before last, weighed in @ 854g !! Made it disappear in one sitting!!

**Weird how pink that looks in pic, didn't look nearly that rare when in front of me!!

**And that Pork Shoulder blade steak was left to rest for 10 min before I cut it, so you can see how juicy it was !

jPy5WRJ.jpg

RfYSh3o.jpg

And here is last nights supper. 3oz slider style patties, 2.5 min per side on the BBQ, and they're DONE. Then I take them back to the kitchen, and drop some cheddar on them that I'd cut before I went outside to grille them, and make it melt with my help from my Ronson butane torch......

YuGMKd0.png

click to enlarge

Every Sunday dinner at home, no amount of gravy would make it moist.

Attachments

• May be an image of steak and text that says 'When you order your steak well-done well-'.jpeg
    May be an image of steak and text that says 'When you order your steak well-done well-'.jpeg
    111.6 KB · Views: 27
Geez, I dunno what's happened, last post to this thread was Aug 1/2023!

Anyways, Still consuming Pork Shoulder Blade Steaks, BUT, for awhile now, I've been buying them "Skin on", and over the winter have gotten the process DIALED.....for indoors cooking, first, it gets "stood up" in a frying pan on the stove with the skin side down. just above halfway between Low and medium, for about 30 minutes (checking it ~ every ten or so minutes). Once the skin has crisped up, then it goes into a 300 deg F oven (time varies with weight) @ 600g , it's about 12-14 min both sides, followed by ~3-5 min each side under the broiler. (it gets poked with a digital thermometer after the second side, time under the broiler is based on the temp on the digital thermometer. If it's around 120 deg F, then 3-5 is enough that it will be @ low to mid 140's after the broiler and a 5 min rest. The big boys ((28-32oz) take longer for both steps (oven & broiler)

Sadly, it appears I neglected to take a pic of the skin after it's time on the stove, but there's a Money shot at the bottom of it after it came out of the oven!

First two pics are After Skin was scored and Dry Brining
6TkyQ0W.png

PLzQEWp.png

Before the money shot, more data:)

**Did this one Sun Mar 10 PM for supper.

Well, this one was big (1 lb, 15.4 oz, or 31.4oz), but it was also thick! Made it a lot easier to stand it up in the pan with the skin side down to get it partially cooked, as if left, the skin wouldn't be edible by the time the meat was cooked.
Tried something different this time, left the burner below medium, and just left that puppy sitting in the pan, skin side down.....checked it at least every ten minutes, ended up being on the stove for 30 minutes. Lower temp for longer works better than the method used on the last few before this one!
Then I put it in the oven @ 300 deg F for 17 minutes/side. After doing the second side, I pulled the pan out of the oven and gave it a few pokes with the thermometer, most spots checked were in the mid 120's, close to the skin side was even higher!
So, I turned the switch to broiler and gave it about 5 min/side, followed by 5 minutes resting, and it was perfect!

The Money Shot:
dFzhsKu.png

**I was no longer hungry by the time I'd made this disappear ! :)