What did you do today-2024

Johnny, thanks I think…being a machinist does have a few perks, as much as I like great music, I only do what I can, change the station or flip the tape.
Seriously, the task of rebuilding the steering box is simple, having the ‘expanded’ toolbox to utilize only allows my OCD to really kick in and extend the 2 hour job.

Last night I got back into the garage and removed the 2 leaf springs from the mustang. Spring shop in Prince Albert is going to add another leaf (5 now) to give me some more payload capability and a 2 to 3 inch rise.

Just thinking that when I see a post saying it was simple or easy ..then I see a lath and other expensive tools and having the knowledge to use these tools..I’m wondering how easy it would be with my tools that I have…vice , hammer and a few other hand tools….and yes I do have tool envy..
Well, you know what they say, "if you can't fix it with a hammer...you have an electrical problem".

No disrespect meant…guess what I was trying to say was it’s always easier when you have a bunch of great tools and even moreover when you know how to use them . again no disrespect meant…eh
Kinda yes, kinda no. If you watch "Make it Kustom" on youtube, Karl Fisher (AKA Japhands) HAS all the cool tools for making body panels and such but when he shows how to do it, he shows how it is done with regular tools that everyone has around their shop to show that it CAN be done without all the "cool tools". OTOH, I DO have lots of the "cool tools", lathe, mill, E-wheel, box brake, bead roller etc etc but can't build doodlie squat. The tools help but don't make the project.

Kinda yes, kinda no. If you watch "Make it Kustom" on youtube, Karl Fisher (AKA Japhands) HAS all the cool tools for making body panels and such but when he shows how to do it, he shows how it is done with regular tools that everyone has around their shop to show that it CAN be done without all the "cool tools". OTOH, I DO have lots of the "cool tools", lathe, mill, E-wheel, box brake, bead roller etc etc but can't build doodlie squat. The tools help but don't make the project.
He is a very talented young metal man and yes watching him make it look easy with common tools is why I subscribe to his channel.

Went back to the garage where the Falcon is stored and completed the task of taking photos of all the parts that will be for sale.
Took a good two hours.
Now to sort through them and develop the desriptions for said parts along with the prices.

Once done, then list them on various forums.

Last edited:
Last night I got back into the garage and removed the 2 leaf springs from the mustang. Spring shop in Prince Albert is going to add another leaf (5 now) to give me some more payload capability and a 2 to 3 inch rise.

Going to look kinda weird isn't it? I mean 3" more between the tire and wheel well is quite a bit.

Yes anyone that has spent a little time with an english wheel will attest to the fact that just having the tool doesn't always make the job easier . LOL
I’ve had a English wheel before..what the hell was I thinking when I bought that..couldn’t get the metal to move anywhere near where I wanted it to go…sold it..got a chunk of train rail., a vice and several hammers. God bless the guy that invented bondo. That Carl guy on Make it custom is an alien. Builds a complete car out of a pie plate…we have a few guys here that came off the same space craft. I forget where I was going with this reply so I will have to get back when I remember..

Going to look kinda weird isn't it? I mean 3" more between the tire and wheel well is quite a bit.
It’s got the typical mustang squat now where the top of the tire is flush or slightly above the top of the wheel opening, the rear is lower than the front. Will see what it comes out to be. I want a little more altitude in the rear.

Over the years I came to realize that body work wasn’t one of my strength. Didn’t matter what tools I had. When I did the Buick I simply kept on searching for body parts that were perfect and didn’t need any work. Turned out to be cheaper than getting a body man to fix the rusty stuff..although it did help to stretch the build timeline to 20 years instead of the 3 that I envisioned. Anyways today I took all of my scrap body and metal parts to the scrap dealer…$96 in my pocket..bought beer, pizza , lottery tickets and gas for the truck...living the dream.

$30 for beer.( had some empty’s to take back)..$10 for tickets..$10 for medium pizza of the day..$40 for truck gas.. and I had $4,50 left over to buy lunch meat for you to make me some sandwiches…you do the math..

Last edited:
I was talking to a friend of mines dad and he told me he was going in to get his right eye done because it was pretty bad and his left was quite good . I didn't see him for awhile so when I did I asked him how the surgery went . His answer was " my left eye is f#$cked .

Same here. Had the right one done first last year, as it was really cloudy, but thought my left was pretty good. Until I saw the difference with my new bionic eye and had the other done too. Work great , no more glasses required except for reading. Night driving is still not great with the starburst of headlights. Sounds like many of us getting up there. Could start a new thread with "What hurts most today?"

It is easy (for some at least) to lose enthusiasm when working alone with nobody local to share thoughts and ideas with and keep one motivated. The encouragement that one gets from online discussions on forums like this can be helpful as well but there is no substitute for personal interaction with likeminded friends.
yes thats true there is lots of like minded friends here but I have to let them know LOL!! too much of a home body and just do, have to ask for help not like PG