What did you do today-2024

CDNflatlander

Supporting Member
Good day gents, I waited and I can also jump in and do, being it’s been a week.
My favorite running post is this What Did You Do Today in your shop - garage. This is one of my favorites because it for one, I can see it what others are doing on their projects but for two, it helps drive me to consider a post of my efforts (which means I Gotta Do Something!). I work in my shop daily, always looking at or working within sparking distance of a hot rod garage project….sometimes a guy gets enough hours in there working for a paycheque, making it ‘tough’ to want to go back out after dinner and chores to ‘play’.

Why do you like this annual post? What are you working on in your play space?

Last edited:
IMG_0379.jpeg
IMG_0377.jpeg
IMG_0384.jpeg
On Wednesday evenings, every second week, I join a buddy or the more at his place to ‘assist’ on his GMC pick up. He gathered all these bits and was strong on it 2 years ago, this last summer was almost no traction. A pre Christmas drink while unloading a new-to-me table saw into my shop he shared that he was looking for a shop to drop the chassis off to get running. I convinced him to cool off and we could do it, set a schedule and let’s go. He did just that. We met Dec 27, spent several hours getting the body brackets properly bolted onto the S10/Sonoma frame, thumb on the headers, re-attach cab and the fuel tank. Now measuring can be done and more parts ordered. A great night.

It is easy (for some at least) to lose enthusiasm when working alone with nobody local to share thoughts and ideas with and keep one motivated. The encouragement that one gets from online discussions on forums like this can be helpful as well but there is no substitute for personal interaction with likeminded friends.

It is easy (for some at least) to lose enthusiasm when working alone with nobody local to share thoughts and ideas with and keep one motivated. The encouragement that one gets from online discussions on forums like this can be helpful as well but there is no substitute for personal interaction with likeminded friends.
Man that is so true
Dave

Ha the timing of this is funny . I made an effort to meet the builder of my coupe this summer ( he had not seen the car in 25+years ) . During our afternoon we talked about our projects along with allot of the coupes history and life in general . He gave me a very unexpected happy new years call a few days ago and one of his questions was " any progress on your 53 " well my sad answer was very little . As it turned out my current customer job was caught up and the next isn't scheduled till monday . So yesterday I walked into the shop trying to decide which direction to focus my days efforts ( I am always busy just some days it doesn't take much to keep me busy ) and due to the somewhat guilty feeling I had decided to get the power locks figured out on my 53 door as I had already got the power window on that door done . So as a result of a little question I made some progress . Yay .

Had big plans for my 2 week Christmas holiday, most fell short but I DID get that cursed Dart finished and moved out under its own anemic power. It is now out of my sight till April. Restacked the storage garage, or played lifesized jenga. These steel car dollies don’t castor worth a $#^@+!!£¥ at 25 below, I am beat tonight.

Attachments

• IMG_0184.jpeg
    IMG_0184.jpeg
    129.7 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0185.jpeg
    IMG_0185.jpeg
    105.3 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0189.jpeg
    IMG_0189.jpeg
    130.1 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0191.jpeg
    IMG_0191.jpeg
    122.7 KB · Views: 45
So a change of view in the working garage is underway next. Mustang will get the new rear leafs removed and another leaf added, some squeaks and rattles addressed. Going to try some rust repair in one or more apron which means fender(s) removed. The frame up top is lined up for spring time work, finish boxing a section, install some brake system and by summer refit the cab to check for engine clearance. Easy peasy right ….

Attachments

• IMG_0192.jpeg
    IMG_0192.jpeg
    132.8 KB · Views: 32
Had big plans for my 2 week Christmas holiday, most fell short but I DID get that cursed Dart finished and moved out under its own anemic power. It is now out of my sight till April. Restacked the storage garage, or played lifesized jenga. These steel car dollies don’t castor worth a $#^@+!!£¥ at 25 below, I am beat tonight.
I think you need to built a another bigger garage just so you can fill it.

A pleasant surprize the other day.

Of the previous owners still alive, no one kenw who the builder was of the Falcon and it was indicated he had passed some time back, hence all information was lost to time.

I had advertised the Falcon on one US based Falcon for sale Forums.

Got an email from a gentleman who indicated it was his brother and him that built the Falcon.
It was a one-owner car from Rhode Island and was in perfect condition.
Falcon was built/modified by both of them in Uxbridge MA. Not affilated with any shop, just themselves.
The Brother was well-known in the area for building antiques and classics.
The Brother passed away in 2017.

I responded back thanking him and asked a bunch of questions.
Still waiting for a reply but not too hopeful as it was sometime back (2005) and possibly many other cars later.

Last edited:
Garage is getting pretty dang chilly but still final fitting the 3” chopped windshield/posts on the 32 roadster project. Need to do a little more on final fit of the hood, but it’s pretty close.
Hmm, I can imagine it but cant quite see it? 🤔

So a LS in a S10 frame..how well did it fit. The air conditioning compressor sits really low on a LS..did it fit in on this chassis?
DC359862-EE8B-4E31-8D32-5BEE8453974F.jpeg

So a LS in a S10 frame..how well did it fit. The air conditioning compressor sits really low on a LS..did it fit in on this chassis?
Johnny, the engine mount kit seams to be of high quality and with adjustments built into it for this very build.
I will take a closer look at it this Wednesday evening. I believe that all the clearance is there. Cheers.

Well in buddy’s garage Wednesday eve we spent a few hours messing around on his GMC. The steering column showed up while we were there, so it got mocked up so we could measure up for D-D shafts and u-joint locations. Marked firewall location on the chassis (as cab needs to come off next shop day), and dry fit new fuel pump/sending unit assembly. A good night for planning and telling stories. Keeping the Chin up!
IMG_0570.jpeg
IMG_0380.jpeg

Well after tumbling that lump onto a pile of wood under the car to get it out I realized I'm no longer capable of hoisting it back up in there so I came up with this. From the bench to on the housing studs in about 5 minutes. Sits in the mount a little sloppy allowing easy stud alignment and rolls around the shop pretty secure.
20240122_135344.jpg
20240122_135705.jpg