What Did You Do Today? (2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love that airplane! A good friend has a beautiful old Clipper with a 125 hp Lycoming and the 30" all terrain wheels. Nothing like landing in a rolled wheat field.... Have fun, and have a great 2014, and fly carefully!
Clarke

Bought a new bike and have been having a blast riding in the snow.
d2d9c1f4757e11e3bb1912e37358b744_8.jpg

Mike, looks like you have rims n boots large enough for a (motored) dirt bike. Bet it floats on the snow nicely.....

A friend of mine down in Virginia writes ..........

This is an accident my Dad and I had on Oct 8, 1958. It was on US Rt 11 in Christiansburg, VA, right by where the Cracker Barrel Restaurant is located now.
I was slumped in the passenger seat sleeping. The piece of missing windshield was stuck in the back seat.

The State Trooper dragged me from the car....he thought I was dead !!!
When he realized I was alive he put me in the back seat of his cruiser and drove me to the hospital.
He was afraid I'd bleed to death waiting on an ambulance. I looked like something out of a horror movie.....bloody all over.

The State Trooper said had I been sitting up I would have lost my head. I suffered a severely lacerated head and leg injuries.
My Dad had a badly cut lip when he hit the steering wheel. We were passing a semi when he decided to turn left into us.
My Dad was cited for "reckless driving". The Trooper knew the semi driver!! I will never forget that day !!!

1554339_10202337067782190_1922149444_n.jpg

Last edited:
New Carbs

This morning, gave the go-ahead for the Carb supplier in New York to build a pair of highly modified Holley 550's that will be calibrated for the HRT.
This vendor specializes in dual carb set ups. These are 550's in body only, everything else inside is modified for a specific set up.

Because I have a manual tranny, coupled with a 3.50 rear end and a 460HP motor, these will come with mechanical secondaries for quicker throttle response.

These will be more street friendly than the Holley 450's that I have now as the 450's are more race oriented and were in need of constant fiddling.
Parts for the 550's will be "regular" versus the 450's which require specialized jets, power valves and such direct from Holley and were expensive.

It will take 7 to 10 days to build them.

Cost for the pair, with electric choke on one, both with adjustable floats will be $645 plus USPS shipping.

I haven't bought anything from the US for a while, and of course, the dollar takes a dive when I do. At least its not as bad as it was back in 2006.

Last edited:
This weekend, installed brake lines, fuel lines, fuel tank and some body parts. Cut out the engine mount brackets, still have to drill them and weld them together. I can't put it off any longer, have to pull the bead blaster out of storage this week and make some room for it in the garage. Sent some fasteners out for plating as well.

Sheldon

Thanks for the offer Brian. I will be running a 6 gauge vdo set so I am not sure what all you have left.
The other question I have is do you have any pics of your dash on your t truck.
It might be helpful to see your layout.

Thanks in advance

Spent the day out of the shop fixing things that the farging 110 klm wind has destroyed. Blew the window out of the garden shed thus blowing the man door off the other side of it, blew the temporary shed off the frame work and shredded the tarp on over the opening for the overhead door on the new pole shed I put up this fall but didn't get the door up yet and blew the back aluminium door of the back of the house.. so yeah its been fun! I love this country..:cool:

Bash

...Yup, lots of wind today. I spent all afternoon driving in it. Fantastic gas mileage if you were heading east... sucked big going west...:mad: Very little blowing snow. Moving so fast it never had time to stick to the highway. Plus 2 temps here so could have made a bad combination. Back roads where there was ice, different story.. sent you on a side ways drift at times. I drive an 07 Silverado so lots of weight and 4X4.... 7:30pm, I'm home.....
Stan. .............

Drove home today in 60+ kph winds. Gusts to 90. It blew an enclosed snowmobile trailer off the highway. We're down to 1/2 block visibility in town with the blowing snow. Surprisingly out in the country, not too bad.

Got sent back to camp because of the wind. Night shift crane ops said gusts peaked at 72mph at 3AM and averaged around 60 till shift ended when we came in at 6. Never heard a wind speed as we weren't on site any longer than to boom down our 1600 Liebherr crane .We have two 60' slings hanging from the hook/block assy......slings are approx 10k#each and the hook/block is 41k# .These were swinging close enough to the boom(90m) to cause some concern about contact. Oh yeah this is at IOL's KEARL const. site NE of FT. Mac. One plus is that yesterday we were -25C and today +8C.

Nasty...sounds like you guys have had a bit of a breeze out your way. Nice here though.
Had a friend drop in on his way to the coast, said the Rogers Pass area was pretty bad. It was closed for 24 hours a day or so ago...huge avalanche on the highway.

Nasty...sounds like you guys have had a bit of a breeze out your way. Nice here though.
Had a friend drop in on his way to the coast, said the Rogers Pass area was pretty bad. It was closed for 24 hours a day or so ago...huge avalanche on the highway.

Edmonton had winds clocking 120 KPH in the downtown core yesterday.

Not a record either as that stands at 146 KPH.

Winds are being blamed on the Polar Vortex.

Status
Not open for further replies.