The "Spaghetti Western". (a.k.a. BB re-wire project)

The big test today...

tail lights - ok
tail light tuns - ok
tail light hazards - ok
license plate light - ok
2-speed wipers - ok
heater speed- ok
heater mode - ok
radio -ok
gauges - ok
horn - not ok, one two many grounds.
headlights low beam - ok
headlights - high beam - one working, other burnt out,
courtesy lights - not ok, bulbs were replaced but right ones?
glove box light - not ok, ditto re the light bulb.
park lights - not ok*
park light turns - not ok*
park lights hazard - not ok*

*tailights are LED, fuse panel flasher is LED, park light bulbs are regular, may have to change park light bulbs.
grounds are good, tested and power is there, believe it's the mixing of incandescent and LED, more diagnosis required.
New combined flasher or LED amber lights

Starting will be latter next week when off the wheel cribs.

Tomorrow:
more fiddle-farting with the transmission mounted neutral safety switch
set up gauges

Last edited:
If you still have incandescants the standard flasher will work . I have led rears and incandescent fronts with a standard flasher .

If you still have incandescants the standard flasher will work . I have led rears and incandescent fronts with a standard flasher .
Yup,understand that as previous vehicle was set up that way, however flasher is is LED, have LED bulbs on order from local auto parts store.

After searching a few catalogues, came across the correct bulbs for the courtesy/dome lights. Hopefully that will solve that problem as everything is wired properly, no loose connections (other than me).

Gauges set up except for speedometer, that is done under speed with the GPS.
They look skookum. It will be nice to have a fuel gauge that reads "normal" i.e. 1/4 full etc., none of this 35% BS.

Don't feel like getting under the car today to fiddle fart with the NS switch.
I think the linkage lever is too short.
Works fine in N, D, 1, 2 but can't shift into reverse or park

My switch was touchy also..just moved the switch a hair and all is well....or did I adjust the arms...and all is well...moved someting somewhere , somehow.and it works now..

Ah the joy of chasing electrical gremlins. Tick them off one at a time and eventually they will get done

My switch was touchy also..just moved the switch a hair and all is well....or did I adjust the arms...and all is well...moved someting somewhere , somehow.and it works now..
Did some more fiddle farting after reading and re-reading, about a hundred gazillion times, and looking at the three different illustrations which told me nothing.
You were right, had to adjust the arms to get it to were it should be.
I think it's now correct as it does shift in all positions but time will tell when she's on the ground.

Loose connection at the fuse panel for the horn, plus the horn button was causing a ground.

It's a wrap....don't know if I said that before but its final now.

What was suppose to be a "simple" project, and I use that word lightly, of a re-wire turned into a major project over time.

Started this project November 6, 2020
Yes, a complete re-wire was completed, including new gauges, a clock, new wiper, headlight, ignition switches,power outlet including door jamb switches. Oh yes, a neutral safety switch too (didn't have one, wiring was there).
Battery cables were upgraded from 4 gauge to 1 gauge and in the proper colours i.e. red for positive.
Also installed three bus bars (grounding strips) for common grounds
Engine bay wiring is "hidden" and cleaned up.
All of it tested out somewhat by April 13, 2021 (did replace the parking light bulbs with LED's and the dome lights bulbs. Nice to have the dome lights working)

Other items that got included:
A bunch of little things that I came across that needed to be updated, repaired or replaced or repainted such as the steering column, brake pedal bracket, etc. One of the big items was opening up the defroster ducts.
Painted the dash (took four tries to get it right, that ate up a lot of time.)
Had the interior door rails re-painted at a shop (it took them two tries too)
Polished the stainless trim on the door rails.
Dash speaker grille re-chromed and other components restored
Added and chromed the two radio delete plates
New fitted loop carpet.
Carpet installed on the interior firewall plus its one piece now instead of 4 ratted looking pieces.
Once the firewall carpet was installed, did re-paint the air tube shutters.
New rear seat back dust cover
New sill plates (back in January, all suppliers had them but by end of March, none anywhere. Once ordered, Waited 6 weeks for the new ones to arrive).
Upper door seals replaced.
A complete clean up of the interior and trunk as the auto shop dust was everywhere.

Did one litttle test drive around town, followed by a bigger one a few weeks later.
Everything is working as it should, Black Betty just seems to be more responsive too. Tested the electric kick down and even got second gear rubber)
Just have to find a quiet country road to reset the speedo with the GPS (highways under construction, the one not is too busy).

click on photos to enlarge

Attachments

• DB730CC1-C777-4CE1-865E-A5F00FAEDE9D.jpeg
    DB730CC1-C777-4CE1-865E-A5F00FAEDE9D.jpeg
    55.1 KB · Views: 68
  • 977D39EE-D88F-4433-A2B9-EA0E21F57313.jpeg
    977D39EE-D88F-4433-A2B9-EA0E21F57313.jpeg
    112 KB · Views: 72
  • 3737D0C3-C624-405E-87ED-A0A304044631.jpeg
    3737D0C3-C624-405E-87ED-A0A304044631.jpeg
    64.5 KB · Views: 68
  • 54DE105C-8B81-489C-AD29-5ED6A0F70AB9.jpeg
    54DE105C-8B81-489C-AD29-5ED6A0F70AB9.jpeg
    81.7 KB · Views: 69
  • C559E33A-88A0-4446-80A7-27551672A10A.jpeg
    C559E33A-88A0-4446-80A7-27551672A10A.jpeg
    85.5 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Such a transformation since that back wheel fell off. BB looks so much better now with the custom work from the body shop to all the details you have addressed. Kuidos to ya' Brian!

Thank you John.

Yes, BB is in much better shape, exterior and interior.

My only problem is there is now nothing to do.

I'm bored, and it's driving my spouse crazy too.

Looks great Brian, and a fantastic thread too....maybe I could leave you my 55 pick up for a year to tinker with?? It’s insured as a daily driver.......
😉😅
Greg

Sounds like another project is needed here, What 'll it be? :)
I've been thinking about that, however small, actually big dilemma, have to sell what I've got. Maybe later.
I've always been interested in a 1966/67 Corvair Corsa Cown V8 conversion.
Or 1958/59 t-bird
Or 1969 Firebird
Or 1971/71 Camaro
Or.........

Last edited: