The Great B.C. Hot Rod Registration Chicken Dance.

riding the rollercoaster...

Lono, I'd go back to the mechanic and tell him you have been in touch with the authorities and tell him where he was wrong and how you have complied to every piece of the legislation, then say something like lets get real here pal are you just out to try and burgle some more money out of me or are you going to get fair dinkum and do the inspection as per the regulations because as far as you are concerned your car complies 100%, maybe he will pass it then and when he has finished writing all of the stuff up that you need I would then be telling him that you will be telling the authorities that the guy is fudging people and perhaps his trade practices should be looked into. HHooo that might rattle his cage a tad. But make sure you have all of the paper work etc first. I would also be informing all of the authorities like ICBC and who ever else you feel needs to know like the insurance people etc.

Cheers, and good luck with it, John

Well John, I did have a chat with him, after having a good talk with the local inspector. I told him how many items he listed were items that had no impact on the pass and that it reflected poorly on him.

ICBC contacted him to let him know I requested my VIN be transfered and had their own questions. Looks like a pass is in my future ( near future) with no additional modifications. Ive got beyond feeling optomistic, I wont feel good until the papers signed.

Todays project was to cut and weld metal in the rear fenders to accomodate for the width of the tires.

Tommorrow I need to seal of the passenger area from the trunk ( that way I can keep the filler neck in the trunk and not hanging out the body).

All this pass, no pass, acceptable, not acceptable crap is really taking the fun out of this build and leads me to think that my next cars going to be a flamed Smart car.:cool:

I feel a beer coming on, its been a long 2 weeks.

Hi Lono,
I saw this clip and just had to post it....http://www.buzzhumor.com/videos/5381/Family_Guy_The_DMV

Russ:D

Now thats funny!

I got my passenger compartment sealed away from the tank today and the $100 Canadian Tire heater/defroster installed. The fab seat upholstery is temp for sure until I find some spray on mexican blankets.
andanuder.JPG

I finally found a set of 30 ford fenders for the rear but they'll need to get reworked to fit the wheels and tires ( 750x 16" WWW cokers classics) I'll be using in real world. For now these low profiles fit under my "fat uglies" fenders.
nuder.JPG

As for the front fenders*, they're coming off as soon as the ( presently non existent) insurance is off in Oct.
*(and better cycle fenders will be made over the winter)

And those headers... yes folks they will past the inspection ( as per our DOT inspector) provided (as it says in the inspection manual) "there is no risk of a person being burned upon entry of exiting the vehical".

This weekend I'm installing the proportioning valve. If I had used a single cylinder master, it would have not been needed. Then I'm off for Utah for a week. When I get back mechanic dude is coming here to look it over one last time before doing the official "inspection". I think he and I are seeing eye to eye on things now.. but hey, the paper isnt signed yet.:cool:

The grassy knoll and other interesting situations.

HRRCD Part 13... the ICBC Vehical Inspection Manual

So friends, you say you want to build your car and want to know exactly what the "Inspector" is going to look for to save all the head aches and to be sure your a good, God fearing member of the general public?

Well, check out this link.. This will take you to the Holly Bible of Motor Vehical Inspections. http://www.vsis.qp.gov.bc.ca/default.htm

What? You cant access it to look at it you say? What do you mean the government wants you to pay $25.00 just to look at it. That's right kiddies, if you want to cover your ass before you start the build or before you step up to apply for your VIN registration, you have to BUY the manual.

On a budget or you feel $25.00 is a slap in your taxpaying face?

Fear not. Just march down to your library and pull if off the reference shelf.
Oops... sorry, I forgot, they dont provide it to libraries for their shelves.

You're going to need to use your local libraries internet connection to access the manual via the internet. The nice thing is you can print off any of the information you want from the manual... at .25 cents a page paid to your library.

What I find interesting here is this...

Say if any of us get charged for littering, we have free access to the laws that we would be judged by. Access to law and legislation is available free of charge in libraries and on line. As Canadians, we have the right to free access to information in regards to the laws which we have been suspect of breaking ( or for that matter, the ones we all live by).

But to know how our cars will be judged and by what "standards" (read laws and "laws interpreted by individual inspectors here)... we as tax payers have to pay for the privilage of knowing by what set of rules we will be judged by.

I smell a foul wind abrew. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
HI Lono,
interesting bit of information........ how about using the library to get the information on the regulations, and instead of printing it, either e-mail it to yourself, or load it onto one of those tiny ram drives that plug into a usb port. Remember, where there is a rule, there is a corresponding cheat.:D

Russ

Better yet, after you download all the pages, post them here on the site so everyone can access it for FREE!!!

HI Lono,
interesting bit of information........ how about using the library to get the information on the regulations, and instead of printing it, either e-mail it to yourself, or load it onto one of those tiny ram drives that plug into a usb port. Remember, where there is a rule, there is a corresponding cheat.:D

Russ

Better yet, after you download all the pages, post them here on the site so everyone can access it for FREE!!!

Ah Russ, you wrascal.

I sent myself a link to the manual but when trying to acces it from my computer, I got the message, " you dont have acess" or something similar. But you do have me thinking...:rolleyes:

Regie for a hot rod

I am new here, but I will be going through gauntlet soon myself. We have been building a rod using a Model A frame, but we have put on a 36 Dodge pick up cab and box. I may be misinterpreting form MV1437, but it states "This motor vehicle has an original vehicle manufacturer’s body, coach, or cab (the portion of the vehicle that carries and/or encloses the passengers). Would this mean original to the frame? There is a vin tag on the Dodge cab, but we have no regie for either. Is this an impossible dream, or is it possible to get it registered, and should I register it as a Model A, or a Dodge truck? (The cab came off of a 3 ton truck)

It does not have to be original to the frame. In my opinion, it should be registered as a Dodge truck.

I am new here, but I will be going through gauntlet soon myself. We have been building a rod using a Model A frame, but we have put on a 36 Dodge pick up cab and box. I may be misinterpreting form MV1437, but it states "This motor vehicle has an original vehicle manufacturer’s body, coach, or cab (the portion of the vehicle that carries and/or encloses the passengers). Would this mean original to the frame? There is a vin tag on the Dodge cab, but we have no regie for either. Is this an impossible dream, or is it possible to get it registered, and should I register it as a Model A, or a Dodge truck? (The cab came off of a 3 ton truck)

you're going to register it a a "Modified" Dodge truck... and you will also require the safety inspection...
and an HONEST- DEPENDABLE mechanic to do the safety inspection.

you're going to register it a a "Modified" Dodge truck... and you will also require the safety inspection...
and an HONEST- DEPENDABLE mechanic to do the safety inspection.

And dont forget to to a title search first... being your vin is on the vehicle, it will make things a little easier.

Is the title search something my ICBC guy can do, or do I have to go to the DMV to do it.BTW, I'm glad I found this site. I'm sure I have saved myself all sorts of trouble just reading this thread.

welcome to the chicken dance

Is the title search something my ICBC guy can do, or do I have to go to the DMV to do it.BTW, I'm glad I found this site. I'm sure I have saved myself all sorts of trouble just reading this thread.

you can have your icbc dude do it for you. I think it's like $7.00 .

good luck and post some pix we'd love to see it.

I agree Lono, the vehicle has some proportions to it.
A lot of rat rods ( ) look like a Delorean that hit a trash compactor.

No vision or flow. I realize the supply of Ford bodies is zip and we
have to use other brands, but I wish the builders would stand back
30 feet a get a better view of what it will look like before hacking it up.
My humble thoughts :)

Thanks guys. The power train is a bit different than most as well. We are going to run a 218 Dodge flathead 6, but the engine needs a complete rebuild. If anyone has or knows of any performance parts for one of these Mopar flatheads, or advice on where to get overhaul parts here in B.C. any and all ideas/information would be appreciated.

That is a real neat looking thing there Dfracer, I have a friend down in Sydney (Oz) who used to make a lot of hot up stuff for those many years ago when they were used in speed boats way back when, and still has all the patterns for dress up stuff like timing chain covers and lots more stuff.

Good to see a well profiled ride and yep it looks just right there. I look forward to seeing some progress pics as time goes on.

Cheers, John

Chapter 14.... will tonight be the night?

HRRCD Part 14... the mechanics pre inspection inspection...

Well todays the day. Mechanic dude's coming to give it a go over before he does the official inspection on paper *(he's been putting me off since Thursday). I've already told him I'm not putting any more money out for unneeded modifications.

To bring you to speed if you missed the last update... his list of "fail" items was filled with things that the MOT guy says are just fine. When I requested the VIN get moved to a new mechanic he contacted me and promised to look over the car and if everything on the list was done ( expect for what was approved by MOT guy) then he's cool with passing it.

So if I get the green light tonight, its off to his shop on his flat deck ( $200 call) and the approval.

Can yeah hear me mah friends...Put your hands on the computer monitor my brothers... say yeahs....and pray this isnt the "Curse of Lono!" :D

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeyhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaa!

HRRCH Chapter 15... the prolog.Mechanic dude just left.....

I PASSED!

he's coming back on thursday to put on the VIN , hand over the papers and collect his fees!

AT LONG FREAKING LAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!