The Great B.C. Hot Rod Registration Chicken Dance.

L

Lono

Forward: My 31 ford came with a bill of sale and notorised affidavit of ownership along with a 1958 City of Vancouver vehical inspection report.
My goal: to register it in B.C. as a modified 1931 ford.

I know there are going to be hoops to go through and I hope this thread will help others trying to get through the ICBC/ insurance agent mix. A lot of the time, the more details you can provide your Agent the easier it will be for you and the agent. A key to success if you're in a large Agency with plenty of bubble gum chewing air heads at the front counter is to ask for an adult to help you. You need a person who can think outside the box, can perform tasks without the aid of a computer and have the rare skill of being able to listen to you and not fill in the blanks.

*To do so, this requires the following forms to be filled out:
mv1437 application to register a modified collector motor vehical
mv1484 unregistered vehical/missing signature declaration (stat. declaration)
mv1325 application for bc assigned vin number
*(this information is from the head of vehical registration, not a front line ICBC worker)

Its monday morning, I got plently of sleep and I'm about to drink a pot of coffee. You see, I'm about to embark on the great Hot Rod Registration Chicken Dance (HRRCD).

Those of you out of province folk most likley have different moves but here's how it goes here in B.C. Turn on the music and put on your best dancing slippers and away we go....

Lets step back in time to last Friday when I spoke to the head of vehical registration at ICBC for the 3rd time. I contacted her for the last time to again go over this and to be sure I had all the right documents (I've already explained the frustration I've gone through with local agents and their own front line people giving false information or not knowing what to do. She tells me not to panic and promises a smooth move with her assistance. As soon as I gather all my details, the information will be sent directly to her office rateh than through front line 'tards). I do have the right papers and all is well and to make things easier for me she started a file so that front liners know that I have been in contact with ICBC and the call is rolling.

So step one to completing all the pile of papers is to get a safety inspection. This is needed for for MV1437 ( see above). Very cool.

Its Saturday morning. I head to the local Agent with my papers and ask for the TOP A-B destination permit ( temp. operating permit) valid for inspection purpose only. Now the dance begins, please turn up the volume.

The snotty little 80 pound girlie all hyped on a Snickers bar and tall Triple Triple finally puts down the phone and comes to the front to serve me ( I have imposed on her talk with Britney Spears I can tell already). She starts the paperwork and hits a snag. The car has no registration number ( dahhhh:mad:). She does discover that on the papers it shows a serial number from the original motor that ends in a star. Not an asterisk... but Henry Fords STAR. I need explain this to her that once upon a time a man named Henry Ford put a STAR in the serial number of the motors that were built.
I explain AGAIN, I am wanting the TOP for inspection only and I have been told by ICBC that I can get one without the car having a B.C. registration.

Now its time to talk to ICBC... Snickers girl dials up the front line 'tards at ICBC and the person on line says... you cant get a TOP for a car without a B.C. Reg. She also tells the ICBC guy that the serial number has an asterisk attched to it. I had to again tell her, its not a freakin' asterisk.. its part of the serial number! ahhhhh, sigh. I ask to speak to the ICBC person.

Ricki the human butterfly on the phone tells me the car must have a b.c. reg to get a permit. I tell him to look closely at his handbook and he'll see that the TOP can be issued to a non Reg vehical for the purpose of taking it for inspection only. Now his wrists are flopping in the wind because I'm trying to tell him how to do his job. He sounds like he's ready to break into tears. I've peed in his herbal tea and he's ready to hang himself with his shiffon scarf. He asks to speak to the agent again. She give me the look of death and says thank you to Rickiboo and hangs up. "You cant get a permit for an unregistered car... period" is what she says. Ohhhhh good.

Looking to tommorrow: I have an appointment with a great car mechanic to do the inspection. He's right into cars, understand the concept of cars in progress and at 10:00 I'll have it at his place for the safety inspection.

I talked to a couple mechanics before finding him. At one shop, they told me that there was over 100 things they look at and he even went as far as to say, if you've got a rip in the seat, you better put a cover on it so I dont see it. I asked him for a copy of the check list so I could look it over and he said, I couldnt have one. Why... because it is confidential! BULL SHIT! Its a chance for the inspection location to make a few bucks of you when they fail your car. If infact there is a complete check list, it is public information. I told him he was full of bull shit and he wouldnt be seeing any business from me or anyone I knew.

When I shared this with the guy I'm going to, he told me the list is pretty basic... lights, horn, brakes, tires windshield and wipers. ( exactly what I've gone though time and time again getting cars inspected). Think of the check list as being everything needed to make the car safe to operate... and thats it. Now the issue is going to be, getting the car to him on a permit.... flash back to today.

HRRCD PART1 This morning 08:30 , I'm taking my papers, file number and phone number of the person at ICBC who gave me the file number and I'm going down to get my TOP. The dance has begun... grab your partner and get ready for a big pissing match!

HRRCD PART 2 09:44:
No Snicker eating coffee junkie this morning. instead, a middle aged ( my kinda gal) motherly type. The same papers are layed out upon the table. She calls ICBC... they tell her YES, a TOP can be bought for point A-B use ( exactly what I asked for on Saturday). $15.00 cash exchanges hands, I get a piece of paper and poof I'm out the door ready for tommorrows adventure getting it safety inspected. Why didn't I get the permit on Saturday but got it today? Because the car is not registered, a manual permit must be made out rather than a computer generated permit.
PAY ATTENTION HERE B.C. PEOPLE ...you may need to instruct your insurance agent they need to fill out a MANUAL permit.

Will post more tomorrow after the inspection.

HRRCD PART 3 07 22 08: The (pre) inspection
So I had a great drive to the shop for the inspection. I took all the back roads to make it last as long as possible and get the feeling for the car( hey, I may as well enjoy as much as I can on the A-B permit).
When I got there The mechanic came out and walked around the car. He kept saying, cool... very cool...nice, it was looking real good. Then he started on the list of things that would not pass. A) I have to install the rear exaust. B) I have to fix the drivers door handle so it opens from the outside. C) I have to put fenders on it. D) he's uncertain about the original ($800.) vintage Mars Bomber seats and E) The seat belts are reproduction mustang but dont have DOT approved labels sewn in.

So, off I go to Princess auto for some fenders for the front I go and for now the car is sitting at Speedy getting exaust added to exit behind the car. Swing your partner and prominade....

Next inspection ins on Monday the 28th.... with an ICBC dude there too. Wont that be fun.

HRRCD PART 4 07 23 08: This morning I hit the road to meet up with a couple more mechanics in the area. This time I took some photos with me ( the car is getting the pipes installed now). Each of them looked at the pix and have sent me to meet up with another mechanic in a nearby town who is fair. Dont get me wrong, the I'm not trying to hide anything and the car is safe. I just need a mechanic to do the inspection that understands that when you say to him, " Its a work in progress and I need to register it before I spend big bucks on the complete restoration". that this doesnt mean, I think my car is all done now and I want to drive it to Toronto and back next freakin week.

This morning I'm driving out to meet the said mechanic with pictures in hand and get a sence of how thats going to go.
PAY ATTENTION HERE B.C. PEOPLE: when an inspection mechanic says he's a car guy it may mean he just likes easy stuff and he'll rape you to pay his mortgage that month. Ask others who have got their inspection done who they went to. This is one case where ICBC isnt the problem.. the mechanic/inspector is.

HRRC PART 5 07 24 08: Well I had a great talk with mechanic X... and yeah, there are some manditory things for sure... Fenders... Bumbers... rear exaust...a HEATER ( for defrosting your windshield in your summer ride:rolleyes:). So I've been a busy beaver getting fenders made up. The cycle fenders from Princess auto made up pretty well.
31%20sed3.jpg

The next thing will be to tackle the rear fenders. I'm going to make a pair out of Princess auto full fenders for now until I find a rear passenger fender.

Suddenly the cars got that "Traditional" Canadian (almost) fenderless look that makes a Canadian car look dumb ass when parked beside its California peer....sigh.

I was given the name of one more fellow to see and I've already talked to him on the phone. He's a rodder too and has a well ballanced approach to safety inspections.

Last edited:
Just be carefull ..I heard there is no regulation on tazing aggresive rodders..and if the mess up it don't matter they get there buddys to investigate the complaint...and you still won't get that paper...AH...freedom and liberty...and then there is Government to keep it all....:rolleyes:

Good write up! Has me howling!
Been through this numerous times. The dance is always the same, sometimes the music is shittier then other times!

-Shiny

you 'can' get some competent people out there tho fellas...... 55buick... lee went thru the "hoops" when he did the lil' "T" coupe..... he found "1" person,.... an' she walked him thru it,....squeaky clean an' done..... ain't beaurocracys a lovely thing?? oh yeah lono,..... good luck!........

best of luck dude.

1st time I tried to get a PLATE for my '53 the local 'Rickiboo' tried to tell me I wasnt allowed to insure such an old vehicle, my brand-spankin-new pink slip shut him up

Mark Zomar, d.b.a. M-Azing Enterprises, 615 Laurentian Cres. Coq. BC
V3J 6H3 604-937-7128 or 328-9365 can get registration for your non-registered vehicle.

Last edited:
In my expeience guys, when it comes to dealing with ICBC ( and I do, a lot ) the best tool you can have is a good agent, preferably one of the induviduals that sit in one of the offices in the back. They have been there a while and are a little more familliar with ICBC's bible. Don't be affraid to tell "snickers girl" that you have some tough questions to ask and that you would like to talk to the most experienced idividual in the office.

You are certainly not alone Lono in this. I tried to get the wife's bug insured and reading the renewal notice, it said she would have to sign the back authorizing me to renew it for her (she was in classes all day) When I got at the insurance office, they called ICBC and told me it was no longer valid as it expired last fall (we only run it in the summer) and as it was registered in my wife's name, I could not do it. She is my wife for gods sake, not some stranger! My kit car is going to be also fun. There is the VW serial number on the chassis, the serial number on the body, the serial number on the registration, and the NY assigned serial number also attached to the body. (the customs guy took one look and didn't want that mess and dealt with the one on the papers) I am lucky as I can borrow the "repairmans" plate from work to take it in for inspection.

Russ

ps. That guy telling you the inspection criteria is confidential is full of it. I will get a photocopy of the inspection form and send it to you so you can get in compliance before taking it in.

Great write up!!
Thanks for the effort:)

Russ, could you, would you post such a document in the 'technical reference section, please? This would be a great reference for the 'builders' on here!!
Good job guys,
Greg.

Are you going for regular blue and white plates or modified collector? If modified collector, how are you going to get around the pictures showing no fenders?? This is a great read though. Keep us posted on the progress Lono!

Last edited:
Great story! Can't wait till tomorrow to catch the next episode.

Bullet, Mark has had problems lately.

You are certainly not alone Lono in this. I tried to get the wife's bug insured and reading the renewal notice, it said she would have to sign the back authorizing me to renew it for her (she was in classes all day) When I got at the insurance office, they called ICBC and told me it was no longer valid as it expired last fall (we only run it in the summer) and as it was registered in my wife's name, I could not do it. She is my wife for gods sake, not some stranger! My kit car is going to be also fun. There is the VW serial number on the chassis, the serial number on the body, the serial number on the registration, and the NY assigned serial number also attached to the body. (the customs guy took one look and didn't want that mess and dealt with the one on the papers) I am lucky as I can borrow the "repairmans" plate from work to take it in for inspection.

Russ

ps. That guy telling you the inspection criteria is confidential is full of it. I will get a photocopy of the inspection form and send it to you so you can get in compliance before taking it in.

Thank you, for the offer, I'm good. Its just goes as a warning that these " inspectors" can use the opprotunity to cash in on rodders.

I can possilby help you with your kit car situation. drop me a phone number and we'll compare notes. I've liscenced 2 of them and yeah it can be a real pain.

Are you going for regular blue and white plates or modified collector? If modified collector, how are you going to get around the pictures showing no fenders?? This is a great read though. Keep us posted on the progress Lono!

I'm going for a regular plate but still have to submit the photos. The fenderless thing may end up being a big issue. I will use some aftermarket fenders up front and some temp rear fenders while I search to find a right rear fender. Alas, a rebel maybe... but i'll be fendered for sure.

Last edited:
Lono, first off, thanks for the entertaining post, had to sit back and laugh ( cry too), but not to hard. Glad you posted this, it's a wake up call for us about that experience we would all face. I know, I've got two out of province vehicles and a Bucket "T" to register some day and I'm not looking forward to it.

Carl

I've moved between BC and Alberta on too many occassions, and once a modified vehicle has been registered on one province, it is "easier" to register it in another.
Now in Lono's case, he's right...what an adventure, lookin' forward to the next chapter of his book, which no doubt will be by the time the smoke clears!

inspection ( started, but not done) see original posting for details.:rolleyes:

"Life is a highway, I (hope to) wanna drive it all night long........."

Great story! Can't wait till tomorrow to catch the next episode.

Bullet, Mark has had problems lately.

Being a number of yrs. since I used Mark's expertice in acquiring reg. for the Studie and now I'm living on the east coast. It was worth a mention.Thanks for clarifying his status.

Last edited:
Been a number of yrs. since I used Mark's expertice in acquire reg. for the Studie and now I'm living on the east coast. It was worth a mention.Thanks for clarifying his status.

talked to him today... hes too far away to help.
Will be welding up the Fenders on the weekend... the plumbing for the pipes is getting done tomorrow.
Stay tuned for the next installment coming soon.

reg

i,ve heard rumors that icbc shut down amazing mark ent.

Dont know for sure. He's advertising in the Buysell. I know there was another guy around way back who, if you gave him a proper A vin he'd get a reggie... I know he got the boot for sure.

Last edited: