The Great B.C. Hot Rod Registration Chicken Dance.

hi guys just thought I would throw in my two cents worth.I had a repair shop in chilliwack and done a lot of inspections on hotrods,new cars from the states,other provinces etc.I put up with a lot of the mto guys and was always able to sit down and have a inteligent conversation to a solve to the problem.Yes I kept a lot of pictures and they saved my butt to.This friendly rivalry was tested one day when I arrived at work to find my son's 64 pontiac on the hook with a cop standing there drumming his foot.Not a good to start to my day.If you are not familiar with the wack there was a army base south of town that is now a rcmp training camp so there is a rookie cop on every corner around town.My son on his way to work and was pulled over for being to low by this new guy on the force who is going to rid the world of us bad guys, after my son telling him that his dad had an inpection shop and that I said his car was legal this cop is now here to remove my son's plates and MY INSPECTION LICENCE so I'm on the blower to my regional inspector.The shop driveway looked like a d.o.t blitz lol.after reading the manual every which way it was agreed that the scrub line was level with bottom of the wheels because it is written that nothing can be lower than the wheel.I like the one inch higher idea however this is what we done.I even took the tires off the wheels and put them on the car so that they could see nothing was lower,it was close but it made it.My son was stopped every night after that and he finally got fed up and bought a regular pick up.I think we got the last laugh when my son showed me a write up in the paper about this rookie getting sent to Bosnia lol "bad cop no donut"

a friend of mine is into building home built airplanes and he says that the liability on them is just as bad as homebuilt cars not so much that he is changing things after the inspections but being how it is classed as a experamental it can,t be sold and the only way around it is to sell it as parts such as a set of wings ,two tires an , engine ofcourse that fact that one buyer is buying it all is ok. hope building home built cars don,t come to this!

So, will no A through 34 Ford with a drop axle and 15" rims pass the scrub line test? Are the rules writen as 1" or just so no part touches when the car blows a tire?

skid marks

So, will no A through 34 Ford with a drop axle and 15" rims pass the scrub line test? Are the rules writen as 1" or just so no part touches when the car blows a tire?

I gave Marty the news yesterday being he's got the same front end. He was off to measure things up.

The way mechanic dude described it was, run a string from the bottom of each of the 2 front rims and everything must be 1 inch higher than the string line.

I think I'll take my empty 39 rims and put them on and put the car on the ground and take some pictures from a wack of different angles to keep in the car.

ps... keep the filler neck hole in your trunk too... you need to vent the filler cap outside the car (no smooth sided trunk fills allowed).

honey do list

Been working though my do list over the weekend and its goingto be well into the next 2 weeks.

filled in any open holes in the body..

mounted the 16" tires ( waiting for the adapter plates from speedway) on the rims..

making my front cam shaft bumper...

ordered my "just like everyone elses) heater/defroster

replaced a crap load of bolts with 8 grade ones ( every one infact just to be sure)

replaced my glass (55 chev) fuel filter with a nice pretty plastic one.

been questing for a pair of DOT aproved seatbelts ( apparently having conforms to MVSS209 doesnt cut the cheese) No one has seatbelts marked DOT approved...

Ordered a cool flip up fuel filler to cut throught the top of the quarter so I can put a little joy juice in it.

The list goes on. Sadly the pocket book is coming to the end. One more trip to him ( at $200 hauling plus $75.00 per inspection) and hopefully its going to be on the road.

tighty whities.

the saga continues...
Mounted the 16" today. Now I've got 3/4" skid, skuff, whatever clearance.
Now I have to go with the 750's out back for sure...but thats going to be after the final inspection when I can afford the $500 clams.
..next stop... replacement mufflers for the hugger headers.:rolleyes:
whiotes.JPG

tripping on fumes

I'm not in BC, but can you clarify.
What does that mean ?

Here in BC we cant register a vehical that has the gas filler inside the trunk. There needs to be a filler neck outside the car, lest we take up sniffing gas fumes:D:p

Here in BC we cant register a vehical that has the gas filler inside the trunk. There needs to be a filler neck outside the car, lest we take up sniffing gas fumes:D:p

God ferbid we sniff gas when theres so much weed available at less cost ...... LMFAO

Cheers 53chevyply

wackin off the list.

dum got dem fenders and bumper on now.
Not longand I and face mecanix C ugin.;)
fenernerf.JPG

You have got that looking neat Lono, I'll take a photo of how I ran my plug leads if you like and it tidies those wires up quite well, I like the way you have done the nerf bars, is that all you needed to do for the rego?? You have done a neat job with that old mudguard (fender) flapper, it's a shame we have to run fenders eh but they don't look too bad, very Harlyish sort of look, what did you use there, did you make them yourself or are the a bought item. Out here we have to run fenders and if we don't the other cry baby rodders will be like little kids and dob you in to eother main roads or the ASRF who we have to be a member of to get rego in Queensland. I have a freind who built a very neat 32 roadster hi boy and took the fenders off at a run, he is too much of a gentleman to say much to people so I told them to go away, well they knew that was what I meant.

Cheers, John

wishing you lots of luck lono,if this takes any longer you are going to need snow tires:(

You have got that looking neat Lono, I'll take a photo of how I ran my plug leads if you like and it tidies those wires up quite well, I like the way you have done the nerf bars, is that all you needed to do for the rego?? You have done a neat job with that old mudguard (fender) flapper, it's a shame we have to run fenders eh but they don't look too bad, very Harlyish sort of look, what did you use there, did you make them yourself or are the a bought item. Out here we have to run fenders and if we don't the other cry baby rodders will be like little kids and dob you in to eother main roads or the ASRF who we have to be a member of to get rego in Queensland. I have a freind who built a very neat 32 roadster hi boy and took the fenders off at a run, he is too much of a gentleman to say much to people so I told them to go away, well they knew that was what I meant.

Cheers, John

hey John
The fenders are from a discounter called Princess auto here in Canada. It took a little buzz buzz grind grind and they're bolt mounted to the backing plates. The fenders and the nerfs are for reggie along with a wack of other stuff thats added $1500 to the project.

We've got those nerdie rodders here too... ya just got to love it.

Last edited:
going down on the list...

getting down to the final thingies...

a) a proportioning valve) on 4 drums- I looked n the inspection manual and I'm going to fight that one... it' not required.

b) heater / defrost... a nice 12 volt unit, should be be here early this week.

c) deal with the rubbing of the tierods ( a little attention to the steering arms).

d) install the dot approved belts

e) install the fuel neck somewhere outside the body. With all the curves, thats going to be a pain.

f) new under car exaust

I spent the day farting around trying to find a short in the headlights. It was a part of the wiring job I jobbed out. The sh**head mechanic ran the wires between the leaf springs and the cross member. A few bumps and presto... instant squashed lines.

Oh yeah... and the scrub line issue... According to the Inspection manual nothing can hang below the rim. THERE IS NO MENTION of HAVING TO BE 1.5 INCHES above the rim line AS INSPECTION DICK SAID.... Inspection dick just cost me $700.00 for 16 inch rims, tires and tubes I didnt need.:mad:

Last edited:
i need a set of bias plys for the rear of my roadster...15" (or 16" if i can find rims that clear my rear discs)...let me know if you wanna recoupe your funds

thanks.

i need a set of bias plys for the rear of my roadster...15" (or 16" if i can find rims that clear my rear discs)...let me know if you wanna recoupe your funds

Thanks, I'll let you know as soon as i know for sure whats happening.

the dance continues... and the pile of unneeded modifications grows.

So... mechanic B says the headers I had along with the exaust and mufflers wouldnt pass... So, they were replaced with a pair of hugger headers and I prepared for replacing the exaust and shelling out another $300.

WELL GUESS WHAT.....
a talk with the MOT I find out that yes those good old 50's style zoomie headers are just fine thank you very much. The key... is to be sure you cant burn yourself geting in and out of the car.

More money pissed away becaue of a mechanic hoping to suck soem money out of my pocket. I contacted ICBC today and requested my VIN get moved to a new mechanic.

Like I said way ... way back, a big part of the battle is finding a GOOD mechanic. If I didnt belive it before I sure as hell do now.:mad:

That Mechanic should have his license yanked. and send him a bill for all the extra work and money you put in for nothing. And i would let him know you are going to post his name and business name up on every forum you can find. Maybe he'll think twice before he decides to screw over another hotrodder. JMO of course.

Lono, I'd go back to the mechanic and tell him you have been in touch with the authorities and tell him where he was wrong and how you have complied to every piece of the legislation, then say something like lets get real here pal are you just out to try and burgle some more money out of me or are you going to get fair dinkum and do the inspection as per the regulations because as far as you are concerned your car complies 100%, maybe he will pass it then and when he has finished writing all of the stuff up that you need I would then be telling him that you will be telling the authorities that the guy is fudging people and perhaps his trade practices should be looked into. HHooo that might rattle his cage a tad. But make sure you have all of the paper work etc first. I would also be informing all of the authorities like ICBC and who ever else you feel needs to know like the insurance people etc.

Cheers, and good luck with it, John