Sassy the 64 Moy Caliente Comet

First time I called bash and scratch....I asked if Bash and scratch was home. His wife paused.....and then said ah, ha....that’s his online name.

So I was sittin in the chat room on this site when you went by, ya no wasn't me, my bucket seats are still in the upholstery shop,,,, car hasn't turned a wheel under power this year yet!!!
I took my car to a drag racd a Mission back in about 2012 I think. I didn't race but there was another red(most 64 Comets are red!) there that raced. His was about 6 inches higher than mine.
Fred

As I was driving through Mission today I see a red Comet coming at me in the other direction...I roll down the window and wave..wife says..who the heck are you waving at. I say I think it was a guy on the rodders site goes by the name of Sassy...she says..does he know you..I say of course he does..we are on the same site..so she says..you’ve talked to this guy..I say of course...on the site..she says..so you have never really talked to this guy..you have never seen him..he has never seen you...and there you are waving at someone driving down the road In a red car....guess I got caught up in the moment...Ha...
I reread this post got me thinking, hey that's a big deal doesn't happen that often!
Anyway I make a point of meeting as many guys as I can from the forums I belong to. Rarely are they like the picture I have created in my mind of them from their posts.
Fred

Great thread, and I can see the reasoning behind the engine choice. My brother had a Super Coupe and it shredded more than one AOD in it’s lifetime.

As I was driving through Mission today I see a red Comet coming at me in the other direction...I roll down the window and wave..wife says..who the heck are you waving at. I say I think it was a guy on the rodders site goes by the name of Sassy...she says..does he know you..I say of course he does..we are on the same site..so she says..you’ve talked to this guy..I say of course...on the site..she says..so you have never really talked to this guy..you have never seen him..he has never seen you...and there you are waving at someone driving down the road In a red car....guess I got caught up in the moment...Ha...

Lol. Been there.

Click on pics for bigger pic
It couldda been this one? took the pic at Mega Ford in Mission/2012.

This is mine beside it

Last edited:
In an earlier post I mentioned I would post pics of the interior since I'm in the process of a major change.
The front buckets and rear seat back are from the 1989 Cougar XR7 the powertrain came from.
The buckets have been redone along with the door panels and carpet.
Haven't decided 100% if I will keep the pass through sear back or use the origanal seat so I just painted it with SEM black ( was gray). I like the pass through so I can display my surf board at shows,,, (no Ive never had my knees wet in the ocean, haha) and the other side exposes the subwoofer which isn't installed yet.
Im also in the process of vinyl wrapping the exposed metal areas in leather look.
Hope to get closer to done this winter including a redesigned center console.
Fred

Attachments

• IMG_20200808_173655_burst_01.jpg
    IMG_20200808_173655_burst_01.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_20200808_173556.jpg
    IMG_20200808_173556.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_20200807_163603.jpg
    IMG_20200807_163603.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_20200807_163546.jpg
    IMG_20200807_163546.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_20200807_163531.jpg
    IMG_20200807_163531.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 78
Very nice Fred, that's what makes this hobby so unique! Although as you said, all 64 Comets are red they certainly not the same! Must be nice to only have 1 to work on, just regular maintenance on the "fleet" keeps me from any major modifications these days.

Bob

Finally got around to installing the sub, still need an amp, everything in due time.
Fred

Attachments

• 20210324_135507.jpg
    20210324_135507.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 91
  • 20210324_135423.jpg
    20210324_135423.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 78
So another repair ,modify, rebuild season!
So I hacked together this in 2013. Thought it would be simple. But no not all 3.8 Ford oil pans have the same bolt pattern. The SC pan is aluminum and the modified pan I built was done so to keep it simple I bought a Fairmont for the steel pan but bolt holes and clearances were a bit differer here and there plus I had to move the sump for steering clearance.
They say "it gets worse before it gets better" sorta applied.

It has served me well but one of my gas welds cracked and it seeped a tiny bit of oil this past year.
Pulled it off and applied another coat hanger! Lol
20211118_120716.jpg

So my question is, what have you guys used to check for leaks in this kind of situation?

Fred: If you intend to do any grinding, do it before you leak test it ! (cuzz removing material can reveal a weak spot)
test # 1 would be placing a trouble light in the pan, then turning the garage lights off. If there's any light coming through, your obviously not ready for a wet test:)
After that, After first thoroughly cleaning the pan inside and out, I'd probably find some light viscosity oil (maybe some cooking oil?). tip the pan so that the test area is the lowest point and block it up so it's stable. Pour enough oil in that the repair area is below the surface of the oil. Leave it overnight. If there's any traces of oil on the outside (or the surface of whatever the pan is resting on) in the AM, time to get another coat hanger:)

EDIT: It has been suggested to me that diesel would also work, and as it's a lighter viscosity, that may be a bonus, but in the end, it comes down to using what you have on hand, you'll just need to wait until your wife leaves to score some cooking oil! lol

James

Last edited: