Sassy the 64 Moy Caliente Comet

.... ah ha ! ... the simile factor, unfortunately it is mathematically un-quantifiable, but it sure is 100 % of something.

And yes, most of what I do is moot.

So I did the math, @ 116.8 mph @ 30.3 degrees C. the drag coefficient will be reduced by .0001 % or increase the mpg by 0.

Of course to verify the calculations, you'll have to take it to the salt flats and the rot that will cause will likely negate the advantage. :D

But seriously, it's this type of modification that when you look at the car it looks so good and you don't know why. Well done.

Ah yes the Salt Flats,, on the bucket list!
I will drive Sassy on that salt one day.
Fred

I didnt want to cut up my gas tank for the high pressure fuel pump and I was too cheap to buy a external mount one so I came up with this accumulator tank. low pressure pump fills a small tank where the high pressure pump is mounted and feeds the injection system.
Took a bit to figure it out and this isn't the first one in the car but it has been flawless for 5 years now.

Last edited:
A great “fix” for adding the high pressure pump; it read as if you went through a learning curve...were there learnings there to share, what did not work...”never try this at home kind of stuff”?
Thanks for sharing.
Greg

A great “fix” for adding the high pressure pump; it read as if you went through a learning curve...were there learnings there to share, what did not work...”never try this at home kind of stuff”?
Thanks for sharing.
Greg
I origanally found a similiar one online using a plastic water filter housing.
Worked fine but eventually would leak at one of the brass fittings.
Built a second one similar housing but same result. Built the one above
and like I said great since 2013 or so.
Reproduction tanks weren't available when I did this swap and didnt want to cut the original one.
I may change to an intank or frame rail pump in the future though cause if I do an IRS rear space is gonna be a premium,,,
Fred

Nice thing about this swap is the stand alone harness,, NOT!

If it was easy everybody would be doing it!

T-Bird IRS install.

As produced the hubs are in line with the diff center, so no offset front to rear. I also have targeted the ride height with the half shafts level so suspension travel produces joint angles. Obviously this can vary some depending on load in the car and fine tuning of the ride height. At the moment mine is all in pieces as I am finishing the welding on the cage and painting. But I can get you the dimensions of the cage pivot points and control arm length so will give you the total width at the lower arm pivots on the carriers. The lower carrier pivot centers are 53.125". The lower control arm pivot axis at the cage is angled wider at the front. We need to talk about this so call me at two five oh four six too five for won too.

Thanks for letting me bend your ear today John!
The insight and info is always appreciated.
Fred

How 'bout Electric power steering?

Built this for about 300$
Sorry about pic quality but you get the idea.
A guy on another forum worked for Ford in their power steering division.
He was involved in the electric stuff till a supplier came along with a deal
they couldn't refuse so he was out but posted his knowledge and build which
happened to be on a Falcon, same car under dash as mine.
Another forum member built it too and with his guidance I did mine.
This build uses junkyard parts mostly and a couple other items I will describe.
I was really interested cause the slave cylinder system stock in Comets,, IMO
is sh!t!! I looked into aftermarket, 2G$s isn't in my wallet for that so I gave up
till this came along.
Did this about 5 years ago and couple small issues but has been great overall.
There are more options for sources now than when I did mine but I will post links.

Last edited:
In the above pic the shaft with the tab welded to it is the amount of shaft
I cut out and replaced with assist unit.
The two links below are threads on the subject for those with more than a passing interest.
Pretty sure you have to join the site to see the pics.
The first link is the one I was involved in for my car
the second is a later one.
Fred
Edit--- the site is now gone.
http://tffn.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=32444
http://tffn.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=38744&sid=4c54c60938aada09e2cc335ed7c93995

Last edited:
Edit for anyone reading this thread, the TFFN xite is gone but I have heard that it is still running on Facebook which I haven't been on in years.

Thought that might be the case.
The owner of the site is kinda that way.
The site is focused on the Ford Falcon,
TFFN, THE FORD FALCON NEWS.
The 2 links are worth joining for the info.
Info is applicable to everything including Quads.
I will be posting most of my build so maybe from
there you can decide weather you want more info.
Fred

Last edited:
First off, pic quality,,, sorry is what it is.
this image shows 2 identical units. One is original the other has the computer removed and the shafts have been modded for install.

The wires that are from the torque sensors are cut and the computer removed for remote mount.
The upper column has also been installed with signal/horn wiring exiting at unit.

Wires extended and secured

This bracket mounts to the pedal hanger, the two clamps secure the motor and prevent assembly from rotating and the computer also mounts to it.

Installed

Crawled under a Mark 8 the other day for a measurement to help in figuring out how much to shorten my axles.
6.5 inches! Tacked it together,lol, ya the boots will touch!
76c82100f6e710b38349cfefceeef58f.jpg

I mocked up a really simple set of control arms to get an idea on how much travel was left.
I was hoping for 6 and it is almost 7 so win!!
8b8d610725cab30473eb23f3ffc9d0e8.jpg

c7680f75accc149423669569dcf3a148.jpg

7811044d13156dd0c4522b5891c45680.jpg

So next thing is to figure out upper C arm length and chassis pivot location.
Fred

Fred you gonna run those welded axles?
Not far! Lol
Moser wants my left one for those, besides
Im still in "will it even work?" stage.
The top of the knuckle would hit the frame rail at present so
all that has to change as well.
If I were to run the IRS closer to stock width and use negative offset wheels
(NOT EVEN A SLIGHT POSSIBILITY!)
it would be a lot simpler.
I'm very happy with the car's present stance and wheel combo. The IRS will only be installed if I can maintain
the present appearance.
Fred

Very interesting. What is the electric steering unit from? What is the donor vehicle? I have a Nissan unit almost ready to go into my F100, just waiting for some extra time to do it. Thanks.

Mine is from a 02-07 Saturn Vue but there are others.
Mine needs a data stream provider (thinks that's what it is called), a guy sells them outta Portugal,, ya Europe!
Mine has a adjustable assist feature because there isnt
any way to give it speed input.
There are other units around that have a "fail safe" mode
that gives x amount of assist if there is no speed input, they don't require the Portugal part.
If you are really interested in this option I suggest joining the Tffn site, in the links above. That site is gonna die along with all the info in the next while as the site owner is terminal sick and won't let anyone else continue it.
Fred