Sassy the 64 Moy Caliente Comet

A couple pics from the 2003 Draggins car show.
I attended the Draggins car show from when I was a kid always dreamed of having a car in the show.
I had never seen a 64 Comet in the show so was pretty proud to have mine in and on the main floor to boot!
Never got the 351C back together but it was under the hood all polished up.
The ratfink styled poster behind the car was a gift from my son for my 50th Bday, Sean an artist in the computer game industry.
And Kelvin who is no longer with us, was owner of Kelvin's Wheel where I hung out after work helpin to keep the shop runnin, workin on his toys for those that didn't know him he had a HERD(15ish) 55 Chevies,
Referred to by many as his Toy Boy,,, NO! not his boy toy,, lol.
Still miss that BUGGER!
Fred

I don’t remember the car but I preferred the Draggins there instead of the exhibition grounds like now.

The V6 fought me all the way through the install.
The oil pan and the drag link wanted to occupy the same real estate.
Seen this solution on a Chevy II years ago.
I was very thankful to Kelvin at Kelvin's Wheel for allowing me to use the aluminum welder.
Without access to his equipment this swap couldn't have happened.

Wow:cool::cool::cool::cool:

I would never of come up with that as a solution:cool::cool::cool:

Always love to see thinking outside the box!!!!!!!!!!!

That is a nice looking ride mate, you have done a great job there and thanks for the history lesson, it is always interesting hearing about what happened to cars over the years.

The new for 1989 Thunderbird has a big engine compartment so they used most of it to get all 10 feet of intake runner under the hood!
Air cleaner to back of motor, through supercharger to front of engine compartment, through intercooler then back past pressure relief valve to back of intake manifold and forward to #1 intake valve!!
Bloody roller coaster tide!!
But it works flawless. Motor runs naturally aspirated when under vacuum.
As the hurry pedal is depressed vacuum disappears, the pressure release plate closes and the up till now free wheeling supercharger goes to work.
Not big power but respectable for cam in block 232 ci, 230hp, 330ft lbs torque, fun not stupid.
Will get 20 mpg US pulling the boler, and about 30mpg CA cruisn at 75.
Anyway got side tracked braggin my little6.
The point of this post is to show how the tubes were modded.
The top tube was just cut at the fittings and rewelded with the intercooler as close to the rad as possible, the return tube was a study in patience!!
Take to Kelvins what I thought would work tack it, home another fit back to Kelvins more times than I care to recall.

A picture is worth a 1000 words.
In this case they were mostly 4 letter ones!

Now I know why I've been carrying this around for 40 plus years!
More coming
Fred

First a little background, Steve Betker and I often talked about how we could flush the back window on our cars. He has a stunning show winning 10 second street car. It's a 64 Falcon with the same roof as my Comet, will share a pic when I find one.

We developed a plan but never moved forward, that was until Steve redid his car, (3rd or 4th time ) and was disgusted with the fit of the rubber gasket that holds the window and stainless trim in the car.
One of the pics at the car show I posted you can see how the gasket protrudes from car like 1/2 an inch!
So Steve completed the change and sent me a pic, now I had to do it cause it looks so good. That was 2013.
This change required that the headliner be done first. Dince I was using the Comet to pull our boler to So Cal for a winter holiday I got the heafliner done there.

So upon returning home I started on the rear window.
The stainless trim fits on the glass pretty good considering it was designed to go in the rubber gasket. I was fitting and adjusting,,,

Until there was a slipzees,,, that produced the 1000 words!!!
Fred

Last edited:
Damn, that would have me say many bad words....might even toss a heavy thing too. Always satisfying.
I wondered if you knew Steve. I met him years ago when his wife had the wine coloured fastback. Cool guy, really cool car.

Damn, that would have me say many bad words....might even toss a heavy thing too. Always satisfying.
I wondered if you knew Steve. I met him years ago when his wife had the wine coloured fastback. Cool guy, really cool car.
Met Steve when he was a kid with a cool new black MustangII fastback.
They let the 67-8 fastback go. They stopped by here couple years ago with
a late model Coyote powered Stang,,, I did say POWERED didnt I. He took me for a ride, ooh yaaa!
Fred

Sorry to see that mishap happened, and fortunate you had a spare. Are you using the tape and urethane filler. I bet that sure tore the fork out of your nightie alright.

So after cleaning up that old back window I got to work.
With the help of the guys at the local Speedy Glass I got the proper glues
and after cutting all of the gasket off above the glass I glued the remainer of the gasket in the car. Slso used the urethane to fill the gap between the gasket and window opening.

Notice in the second pic I left a bit of gasket in 3 spots across the bottom to position the window.
Then it was off to Speedy to have them lay in the glass.

The stainless originally had a j that held it in the rubber gasket.
I took some that off and started bedding the trim into more urethane.

In the last pic you can see where the gasket laid up on the body.

Very good, well done, once it all dries and settles you will be able to do any cutting if required, good on you, looks great.

So I did the math, @ 116.8 mph @ 30.3 degrees C. the drag coefficient will be reduced by .0001 % or increase the mpg by 0.

So I did the math, @ 116.8 mph @ 30.3 degrees C. the drag coefficient will be reduced by .0001 % or increase the mpg by 0.
Ray,,,, you forgot to add in the smile factor. So your math is totally moot.:D
Fred