Sassy the 64 Moy Caliente Comet

Sassy

Supporting Member
Just starting a thread to show some of the hackin I've done on this thing over the last 45+ years,,, AND IT STILL AIN'T DONE!
1974 or 5 with my wife in front of our first house, Confed Pk Saskatoon

Last edited:
This must be the car your talking about, circa 1980,, ya same car.

Sassy started life as a red on red 289 4 speed bucket consul car.
When I bought in '74 it had already been quite modded.
Powertrain was stock with dual exhaust, rear wheel wells were cut up
as in above pic and was covered in 70's Ford red paint.
14x6 Cragars on the front and deep 14x8 steel chrome slots stickin out the back.
Interior had been changed to black vinyl, Mopar highback buckets with Cailente stiched into headrest.
I never noticed these cars in stock form but was instantly smitten by this one when I seen it!
So shortly after getting it I'm out street racin and get beat bad by a 67-8 Mustang coupe, find out he's runnin a 351C,,,, WELL that was the beginning!
I found a wrecked 71 Mustang at SGI with a 351C 4spped, 9 inch. Then started looking for help cause I had no place to work , no tools and quite limited knowledge but when dreams are matched with passion ya find a way!
The next several years were spent at SIR (Saskatoon International Raceway).

Great story and photos too!!! THanks for posting them up..Cheers

Welcome Fred!

Here are a couple threads you might enjoy, and you'll likely recognize a few cars in there as well:)

Old Edmonton Racetrack Pics
https://canadianrodder.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2449

Old Dawson Creek Pics
https://canadianrodder.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2884

EDIT: Well, after having a real quick look @ the first link, I'm pretty bummed. PHOTOBUCKET sure did screw ALL the forums when they attempted to gouge all their users with exorbitant prices, and this thread is a mere shell of it's former self:(

Last edited:
You did a nice job of the rear wheel wells. Great looking car, Iv'e always liked the 64-65 Comets.

So how quick did it go with the Cleveland?

Hey James, memory isnt what it use to be but I think Ford Performance 1970 Mustang light weight was owned by Bob Wytosky (guess on last name spelling) of Saskatoon for many years,,,,, think it ended up in a motorsport museum.
I sent the Edmonton pic link to a friend who raced there.

RMK
The rear wheel openings are front venders sectioned into the panel.
Had to stretch the opening 3 inches to look right over the 275-60s
Replacement stock still isnt available, one year only opening.
Only ever went low 13s, couldn't get the car to launch right, but best would have only been high 12s anyway.

Hey Fred, the picture of the engine on the engine stand, what exactly is that ? Thanks. (I could guess and just embarrass myself again :eek:)

Thats under the hood of the Comet now. Not a lot of people know this motor.
Your not the first to ask, probably not the last.
1989-96 Ford Thunderbird supercharged 3.8L V6.
Probably the most complex induction system Ford has offered.
Best pic I have at the moment.

See, the old dummy (me) can't even count spark plugs. the picture is fine. Thanks. :)

I know that motor. I had an 89 Super Coupe that I drove the hell out of for 4 years, then I had a brand new 94 Super Coupe. Yup, nicest highway car I have ever driven and unbelievable power with the supercharger.
I had to take a friend out for a drive one day when I told him I could downshift that sucker into 4th gear at 160 kms per hour, then it pulled strong till the needle hit the top of the dash at 220. It was a lot of fun.
My wife blames me for making my son a maniac. The first day we had the 89, he and I went out and "buried the speedometer" on a lonely stretch of road. He was 15 at the time. Might not have been as good an idea at the time as I had thought, but he hasn't caused any more havoc over the years than I have.

I went to the Ottawa autorama in 1989 and saw the new Thunder Bird with that engine. Always thought that would be a dare to be different, cool engine to retrofit.

Ya, what got me about this motor is a neighbour a couple doors down bought a new one in '89, took me for a ride.
Couldn't believe how it would haul around that 4000 lb car.
The swap was started in '05 I'm gonna post so pics of it in this thread.
Pic is at a Big Bob's in Bellflower Calif, 2014.
Sassy pulled our boler camper down there and we spent 3 months cruisin around celebrating owning the car 40 years.

Last edited:
Awesome photo.:)
Ya the guy who took was a friend from down there, a Comet owner I met on another forum.
I was leaving and didn't even know he took it till he posted it, course I had to save a copy!
Fred

Neat that swap headers were available for this combo,, not!
Steve Betker, long time friend a fellow Ford guy gave me a
beat up pair of small block headers,, just what I needed!
Took some plate and torched and ground out a pair of flanges
cut the pipes all apart and started trial and error. Didn't take long had a pair of V6 headers.

First, as late as it is, welcome to the forum.
A great looking car you have there; the bigger cars haven’t done much for me over my younger years, but they sure are getting my attention these days! The picture a few back under the neon lights really brings out the sexy in that car for me....you must enjoy having her out!
The last post here about cutting up a set of headers to make ‘yours’ really struck a chord for me. That is what this whole car hobby is about for me...in one post!! Awesome stuff; thanks for sharing :)
Greg