EBEARS 53 f100 build

I’ve always been a fan of this type of truck....however since you are kind of on the topic of chopping it..I’ve always thought that the side window and cab height are a little bit out of proportion. Lengthen the cab about 3 inches would make the top look shorter and also give you more room on the inside...and you don’t have to cut the windshield. ..just a thought..shouldn’t take long..ha.

I do feel that the front of the glass and door being higher than the rear contribute to the somewhat awkward look and my fix along with solid side glass should help . Should I shorten the box or lengthen the frame ? I spos either should add just a few more hours . LOL Expected finish date may not be compatible with my life expectancy .

Last edited:
I’m not seeing the problem with the side window height but .... and not to bad mouth anyone’s ride but I always thought the overhang in front of the front wheels was too much and that the cabs were too tall for their length. I like the idea of lengthening the cab....that can’t be too hard right. On T.V. they can do that in 45 minutes.

Yes the front overhang is a change many make when putting in a different front suspension . Mine however was already installed so that's not going to happen . The cabs can appear tall but I think the combination of the larger back window , the roof modifications and my proposed raising of the box a bit will all help .

One of the other mods that was brought into the FTE discussion was pancaking the roof an inch or two which definitely helps the overall tall appearance .

One of the other mods that was brought into the FTE discussion was pancaking the roof an inch or two which definitely helps the overall tall appearance .
That and doing a wedge cut on the hood to bring it down in front also improves the look. Lots of work as a few compound curves to deal with.
Yes the front overhang is a change many make when putting in a different front suspension . Mine however was already installed so that's not going to happen . The cabs can appear tall but I think the combination of the larger back window , the roof modifications and my proposed raising of the box a bit will all help .
The 56 1/2 ton long box solved some of that problem as the box was not only longer, but 6 inches wider and 6 inches taller, so it fit the cab better than the short box. Took away that "tall" cab look somewhat.

click to enlarge

Attachments

• 60A1F250-75D0-48A9-BEA3-2568BAFBC997.jpeg
    60A1F250-75D0-48A9-BEA3-2568BAFBC997.jpeg
    96.4 KB · Views: 59
  • 42F5F3AB-7562-4E62-9819-62F60897530F.jpeg
    42F5F3AB-7562-4E62-9819-62F60897530F.jpeg
    92.1 KB · Views: 58
Yup the longbox was a bigger box all around and is quite helpfull at " shrinking " the cab . As mentioned I will raise the box slightly and am planning on " I will be scratch building my box " making the upper boxsides with slightly less angle and slightly longer on the top bend . This along with the 3' wider box to accommodate my tires without widening the already wide rear fenders should all help accomplish what I'm after . PS the GM boxes of the same era are even worse . I my mind the wedge on the hood should only be done in conjunction with a roof mod otherwise it really exaberates the awkward drip rail . Screenshot 2021-06-15 at 08-40-42 55 chevy truck - Google Search.jpg

Last edited:
IMHO. Way overdone .ch1017-297063_2.jpg All mods on mine are being done with the intent of no single mod standing out or being immediately noticeable .

You forgot the custom contoured box sides . LOL That is more an exercise in what can be done but in my opinion is straying very close to a point of not being a f100 anymore .

My intent is to have a finished truck that is hard to tell what I did to it but look a little more smooth and flowing

On Chip Foose's 56 F100, they moved the front wheel opening 7 inches forward to get rid of that heavy overhang and widened out the opening slightly too to match the rear..
click to enlarge

Attachments

• 3D7A9DBE-8321-4A39-A549-0185DB771906.jpeg
    3D7A9DBE-8321-4A39-A549-0185DB771906.jpeg
    43.5 KB · Views: 73
The tv story on overhauling was the guys stole the truck and overhauled it without Fooses knowledge but I'm quite skeptical that anyone would attempt major surgery ( especially the chop ) on a truck that was his dads without his blessing .

I really like those pre 56 F100s and moving the front wheels forward as in the Foose build is one of my favotite mods on them.
Fred

Ok so now we've had that discussion I will show you what I decided to do . Lot's of back and forth with ideas good and bad points with all .IMG_1161.JPGIMG_1158.JPGIMG_1163.JPG

Removing the drip rail still leaves a bodyline in the roof panel and makes the roof look even larger in my mind so I wanted to retain it . I wanted to fill the rear cab body seam anyways so I decided to see where it would land on the front without tilting the back of the cab ahead or cutting into my perfect roof . I also removed a large section inside to make room to work .

Just so you know, watching as I enjoy seeing the problem solving… and yes there are some body lines that I have modified on plastic models to see the outcome. Doing it on full size wasn’t possible in those days.
Thanks for bringing us along.
Greg

Well you know it's just metal right ? If I don't like it I can put the piece back in . LOL Some on FTE suggested finding a poor cab to test on but where's the adventure in that .