EBEARS 53 f100 build

Bugger! Time to sit back and think about things for a while
Couple of these and you will be able to figure almost anything out.
E6DA8F57-B17E-41C6-BA4A-E1604F64AE41.jpeg

Yup the possibility of understanding how the brain works is nil . I measured and pondered for an afternoon before ordering the engine fan for the truck ordered it and woke up at 3am thinking " it needs to be reverse "

As I mentioned in my intro documentation is not one of my strong points so here we continue . After my setback it was time to get back at it . Engine assembled , mounts made , aod rebuilt ( by me ) , brake lines run , driveshaft made and everything ready for first start . As I always do with a new motor I prime the motor with a drill . With a manual oil gauge installed I wasn't getting much oil pressure and could actually hear the pan running out of oil and sucking air . So this is new the oil is being pumped to the top without any resistance . Without going through all of the possibilities and talking to the machine shop I decided to pull the intake . The machine shop had forgotten an oil passage plug so as I didn't start it no damage done but another pia . Now we can start it . I will try to add a short video clip. IMG_0749.JPG sorry no luck with the clip this site has limitations for file types that can be quite annoying .

Last edited:
I did the same thing on my 351W in my 54 Ford wagon. Except I was the guy that forgot the galley plug....

As I mentioned in my intro documentation is not one of my strong points so here we continue . After my setback it was time to get back at it . Engine assembled , mounts made , aod rebuilt ( by me ) , brake lines run , driveshaft made and everything ready for first start . As I always do with a new motor I prime the motor with a drill . With a manual oil gauge installed I wasn't getting much oil pressure and could actually hear the pan running out of oil and sucking air . So this is new the oil is being pumped to the top without any resistance . Without going through all of the possibilities and talking to the machine shop I decided to pull the intake . The machine shop had forgotten an oil passage plug so as I didn't start it no damage done but another pia . Now we can start it . I will try to add a short video clip. View attachment 2724 sorry no luck with the clip this site has limitations for file types that can be quite annoying .
Nice catch..could have been a big headache.

Wow, that is another story to solidify the reason to do up the pre-lube with a drill!
Great catch, looking forward to the first run :)
Greg

I think we all feel your pain EBEAR, my Satellite has been a nightmare as well. I know you probably have the booster figured out, but I know with the mopars you can get a small diameter booter, 8" is the one I'm installing on my satellite. Not sure about the Corvette stuff though.

No leaks and for I'm sure the first time ever for me I never touched the distributor from where I set it in . I ran it until the thermostat opened and called her good for the day . Gotta love the sound of a allot of cam and open long tubes .

EBEAR, if it was easy everybody would be doing it.
Being a Ford guy all my life I've noticed that Henry will make people pay when attaching non Ford stuff to his babies. But pretty sure your ride will be stunning when done!
I'd probably have a little trouble taking anything John Cleese said seriously, lol. But I always see him yelling at the little Spaniard in Fawlty Towers when I see his name.
Fred

The body in general appeared to be very good in the numerous photos the seller gave me . This turned out to be mostly true with a few exceptions and some shipper damage . My decision has been to get it running , safetied , licensed and drive it for at least one season before paint so in that end I wanted to leave as much of the po's paint on as possible . I flipped the cab on it's back, sandblasted and undercoated the bottom . I found a couple small patches which would get no awards but with a little tune up seemed solid enough and were bottomside so not a big deal .

Attachments

• IMG_0733.JPG
    IMG_0733.JPG
    84.6 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0734.JPG
    IMG_0734.JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 35
Now we're at the being able to drive it around the yard stage ( this is quite motivational ) and a decision on how to proceed needs to be made . For some more motivation I decided to take it to a small fathers day show and shine not knowing if they would even let me in . By this time the rear American Racing rims had shown up ( shipped from China ) . Wheel choices were very limited as I wanted an old school chrome spoke type of wheel but needed a 0 front offset and a huge c4 vette rear offset . American Racing makes a torque thrust m with this ( go figure ) . Let me in they did . Near the end of the show a couple of the organizers came by and thanked me . I immediately assumed they were just being polite but as it turned out they had allot of positive comments about being able to see a work in progress and not just a finished product .
IMG_0784.JPG

Last edited:
Now we're at the being able to drive it around the yard stage ( this is quite motivational ) and a decision on how to proceed needs to be made . For some more motivation I decided to take it to a small fathers day show and shine not knowing if they would even let me in . By this time the rear American Racing rims had shown up ( shipped from China ) . Wheel choices were very limited as I wanted an old school chrome spoke type of wheel but needed a 0 front offset and a huge c4 vette rear offset . American Racing makes a torque thrust m with this ( go figure ) . Let me in they did . Near the end of the show a couple of the organizers came by and thanked me . I immediately assumed they were just being polite but as it turned out they had allot of positive comments about being able to see a work in progress and not just a finished product .View attachment 2777
I love the idea of a partially built ride at a show. We had a show in Paris Ontario called the Unfinished Nationals. First few years I went there was lots of half built cars on trailers or somehow driven in. Used to really like see how other guys did things and get ideas from them. Some guys even had e binder of progress pictures for you to thumb through. Lots of info shared.The last few years I went it was a sea of shinny finished hot rods and new or newer factory go fast cars. Only unfinished cars were in the parts for sale areas. it was a great idea when people stuck to the format. As time marches on I know things change and people have new ideas and ways of how to do them...and it’s great to share the ideas...so when you call a show ...the UNFINISHED nationals ...it would be great to see some unfinished cars...

Yes because of the purchase of my coupe , covid and a lack of progress my idea of taking it every year with previous years pics has been sidelined .

Again I'm not great with taking pics . I eliminated the factory air pump but of course just a shorter belt wouldn't work so I had to make an idler . It is amazing on how precise it has to be or it will run the belt off especially with the short distance . I tried using the ford power steering pump and for no explainable reason it boiled the oil . I started a thread of FTE and had allot of great input but no consensus . Because of the lack of info on the vette rack pressure requirements I decided to use a gm pump . The vette placement runs a reverse rotation pump and I wanted it to be in the factory 351w placement of standard rotation so inventing we go . Most of the gm cars seem to be right so I grabbed one from a fwd olds with the same rib pulley . Well no room for the reservoir type pump . Ok so can we make this into a remote reservoir using the vette remote ? Yes but again some manufacturing . I had to tap a fitting into the pump .IMG_0741.JPGIMG_0758.JPGIMG_0760.JPGIMG_0762.JPGIMG_0763.JPG