Canadian cars in U.S. mags 50's and 60's

Top Kat.. a 57 Ford Built and Owned By the late Don Smith (owner)of Smith Customs in Calgary had his car in those little books.. It had won Numerous Awards.. he aways talked it..

To the top for the benefit of new members interested in BC hot rod history

Bump again, especially for Fordnutz who is on a nostalgic roll lately.......:)

The cars of BC, or the Island anyway.

scan0019-1_zps69361c57.jpg

scan0020-1_zps538c373a.jpg

scan0021-1_zps3103dd73.jpg

scan0022-1_zpsd9d54a99.jpg

The "Mad Camino" that was owned by Gary Tucker is supposedly still in Victoria tucked away.

Go to Page 3 then page 8 and Page 32 of this thread to see photos of the original
Pineapple Princess roadster. This car has now apparently been copied and
is featured in a new thread under Alberta Events.

The Pineapple Princess clone, owned by George Springer of Calgary, was the one that crashed in the building at the GNRS last month.

Canadian Cars In U.S. Mags

Isn't it interesting that all of the cars posted above still exist in one form or another and all but one (Bob Clarkes Chev) are still on the Island.

I wonder what happened to the Quarter Milers chopped push truck, shown behind Frank's car?

Sure would be cool to see someone get the Mad Camino back on the road.

The roadster pickup in the article owned by Gordon Stewart.
Gordon recently moved back to the Victoria area after many years of ranching in the Smithers area.
He now drives a red 35 Ford Pickup and a 36 Ford flatback.

The "Mad Camino" that was owned by Gary Tucker is supposedly still in Victoria tucked away.

When I was terrorizing the neighborhood in my younger years, I had a friend who lived on the other side of Wilkinson from you. His dad has a '55 or '56 (I cant remember the exact year) wagon converted into an El Camino. He says the car was owned by Billy Foster at one time. Can they be the same car or was there two wagons converted in El Caminos in town?

When I was terrorizing the neighborhood in my younger years, I had a friend who lived on the other side of Wilkinson from you. His dad has a '55 or '56 (I cant remember the exact year) wagon converted into an El Camino. He says the car was owned by Billy Foster at one time. Can they be the same car or was there two wagons converted in El Caminos in town?
Same car, Gary was at Fernwood Autobody, Billy worked at then ran his dad,s gas station-Fernwood Esso which was just around the corner-the gas station still stands by the way. The car was also owned by the son of Victoria's fire chief (the name Simmonds rings a bell) they lived on Hillside right before Doncaster. I think Rick G could give everyone more details.

Canadian cars in US mags

Don is correct. Norm Simmons was one of the owners of the Mad Camino. Sure would be nice to see it reserected.

Well, this is the Canadian Cars In US Mags 50's & 60's thread. I honestly have no idea if this car was ever in a magazine. Forgive me if my post is off topic. But since this awesome thread has resurfaced again, ill try fishing for info on this car.

This '35 ford 5 window is apparently a car built in the late '50's early '60's in Victoria. Rumour has it that it was shown in the Quarter Milers Curling Club car shows during the early '60's. I have yet to speak with anyone who clearly remember it from back then. It was Olds powered, custom grill (noticeable in the photo below), the bottoms of the front fenders were modified to mate up with the modified grill, white and pink tuck n roll interior, cool chrome rear nerf bar. There is a BCHRA sticker on the lower right corner of the windshield. The body was painted a burgundy/maroon color.

Sadly the car was taken apart roughly 40 years ago and was never put back together. I am obsessing over this car and am very interested in knowing more of its history. Any Victoria folks remember it, know who used to own it, have any stories to share? PM me or post 'em. Many thanks in advance! Cheers,

Last edited:
Great story...nice car....and absolutely appropriate to post on this particular thread. Hopefully someone will remember the details and post up here.
We have a new member on here who is also an old BCHRA guy and he may remember something.
BCHRA was mostly lower mainland, Okanagan and a few in the north.
There were no clubs on the island, so it may have a mainland connection.

The Late Don Smith ( Smith Customs) had his 57 Ford in a mag.. Top Katt was the name for the car.. he had numerus trophies he had piled up over the years.. the 4 , 5 foot tall ones. his car was in a early small pocket style mag..

::
The Late Don Smith ( Smith Customs) had his 57 Ford in a mag.. Top Katt was the name for the car.. he had numerus trophies he had piled up over the years.. the 4 , 5 foot tall ones. his car was in a early small pocket style mag..

Mid 50's... Did Mel do the interior on the Top Katt?? :confused::confused: frank

Great story...nice car....and absolutely appropriate to post on this particular thread. Hopefully someone will remember the details and post up here.
We have a new member on here who is also an old BCHRA guy and he may remember something.
BCHRA was mostly lower mainland, Okanagan and a few in the north.
There were no clubs on the island, so it may have a mainland connection.

Hey Keith! No clubs on the island??? Sure there were! ;) L

Yup, your Dad and I drove by the house about 2 blocks from my place where it's supposed to be, but saw nothing. Another owner at one time was Brian Ready here in Victoria - I saw it at his place on Carey Road in about the late 70,s.