Canadian cars in U.S. mags 50's and 60's

Yup, your Dad and I drove by the house about 2 blocks from my place where it's supposed to be, but saw nothing. Another owner at one time was Brian Ready here in Victoria - I saw it at his place on Carey Road in about the late 70,s.

Larry. the Mad Camino was at one time owned by Billy Foster.
The car was built by the guy from Fernwood Autobody (can't remember his name-Gonder will) in the 60's it was owned by the son of Victoria's firechief, they lived on Hillside just before Doncaster, again check with Rick he will remember his name also.

No, just thinking back, it was hard enough getting the umbrella for car clubs off the ground. We, the Intruders, joined 3 yrs after the start. It was NOT an individual membership thing, it was a venue for clubs to foreward the hobby/sport. I look down the membership list & see names that were BCCCA but not BCHRA way back. BCCCA was the elite group. We were back of the bus. Whatever, we're all in the same game. I don't recall any Island clubs in the mix late '50's early '60's when we met in Central park, mickey's in our back pockets!!! I'm BCHRA #9 & I have NO IDEA WHY?? Maybe because our club wuz #9 joining & I was the rep or maybe it's because of the 25yr reunion sign up?? Whatever, the history is flawed but the intent is good. Al D

55 El Camino

Are we talking about the "El Camino" built by Garry Tucker? I believe the foundation was a 55 Nomad. It appeared in our (Quarter Milers) car show at the Victoria Curling Club circa 59/60.

Gary Tucker-thats the guy- I had wanted to say Wilf T. but thats a whole bunch of other stories. Gary's shop was just around the corner from Fernwood Esso, Eric's shop. Eric was Billy's pop.

Jeff, the thread has been going since January 2011, people add cars and articles as they discover them......:)

Now, as to the car, it is beautiful.......and I am glad it has survived in almost as built condition. Nice

Last edited:
Would anybody know how to contact Gary Tucker, or if he is still alive? He was friends with my Dad and Dad lost touch with him a few years ago. My Dad used to own the Texaco station that was on the corner of Oak Bay & Foul Bay roads. Thanks for any info!

Would anybody know how to contact Gary Tucker, or if he is still alive? He was friends with my Dad and Dad lost touch with him a few years ago. My Dad used to own the Texaco station that was on the corner of Oak Bay & Foul Bay roads. Thanks for any info!

don't know how to contact him but as far as I know he's still alive and in Victoria, I saw him last summer at a car show here in Victoria with Bob Painton of Victoria. You can email me at deuceguy@shaw.ca if you want and I'll forward your email to Bob and Bob can go from there. Larry

Jackie, I got your email and sent you a reply but it came back undeliverable???? Might want to check that because Bob won't be able to contact you either. Larry

Just so's Y'know I got your last email and resent my emails but your adress isn't working , even the jmacdonald@mts.net is returned . L

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.

Delivery to the following recipients failed permanently:

* jmacdonald@mymts.net

Reason: This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.Delivery to the following recipient(s) failed after 1 seconds: * jmacdonald@mymts.netError: * ?? ??

This is what comes back. I sent Bob your number. Good luck.

The Late Don Smith ( Smith Customs) had his 57 Ford in a mag.. Top Katt was the name for the car.. he had numerus trophies he had piled up over the years.. the 4 , 5 foot tall ones. his car was in a early small pocket style mag..

According to Donnie [Smith], owner of Smith Kustoms Autobody in Calgary, his Top Katt was the first Canadian show car ever in a big US magazine. 1001 Custom and Rod Ideas, 1964 I forget what month. He had a well read copy at the shop. It was a full size magazine.
I am on the lookout for a copy for myself and would pay too much to have one because he was a friend of mine.
Regards, Frank

According to Donnie [Smith], owner of Smith Kustoms Autobody in Calgary, his Top Katt was the first Canadian show car ever in a big US magazine. 1001 Custom and Rod Ideas, 1964 I forget what month. He had a well read copy at the shop. It was a full size magazine.
I am on the lookout for a copy for myself and would pay too much to have one because he was a friend of mine.
Regards, Frank
I sure can't see that, there were several cars just from the Vancouver area and Vancouver Island alone that were in R&C, Popular Hot Rodding etc as early as the mid to late 50's. One in particular was Jim McGowans Apache 32 roadster that was featured several times starting in the late 50's ( it was built in '52)and his son Mike drives the wheels off it still. Fred Wech's 40 Sedan was another from that time.

I sure can't see that, there were several cars just from the Vancouver area and Vancouver Island alone that were in R&C, Popular Hot Rodding etc as early as the mid to late 50's. One in particular was Jim McGowans Apache 32 roadster that was featured several times starting in the late 50's ( it was built in '52)and his son Mike drives the wheels off it still. Fred Wech's 40 Sedan was another from that time.

Sorry Topster, I meant to qualify my post by stating that after reading this thread that I must have been mistaken about what he said about being the first Canadian car.

Last edited: