52 Lincoln Capri Build

YnzVkt5l.jpg

WAK1GXKl.jpg

kcLbYUCl.jpg

Awesome!! Nice shop too!
Making those cuts freaks me out too...then a voice from one of my mentors (Journeyman Machinist)....it’s only metal, we can weld it back up or change it as we need.... lol
The tape measure is your friend!
Greg.

thanks Greg, yes, thats the great thing about working with steel. It is very forgiving. What you dont see here is the 1st sway bar cross member that's in the scrap bin :) It seems every time I build something I see a better design ,and after a a couple of pops, grind it apart and start again. I could never do this for a living, No one would pay for that many hrs! :)

All the holes were in the frame from ford, other than the shock mount cross member which I added. The frame is is well built, and lightened considerably to reduce weight. The car weighs 4400#. This why I decided to use the existing frame and graft a late model IFS than build a whole new frame. Its boxed from front to back from factory.

thanks guys.
no, Tim, no IRS this time. Thought I would try a 9" that everyone seems to use :) I will be using the high travel QA1's again though!! :D

So what do you think...about 2 “ out of the top should do it? Also is there not a front end kit for this car without cutting the frame or is this just the way you wanted to go?

Last edited:
So what do you think...about 2 “ out of the top should do it? Also is there not a front end kit for this car without cutting the frame or is this just the way you wanted to go?

No chop this time:) By a front end kit,do you mean oem parts? I believe there are suspension parts available and very$$. Im not much of a "stock" kinda guy.
The plan was to take a older 50's car and put modern power( and maybe little bit more)in it , upgrade the suspension to take the added power, and possibly carve some corners if need be. I was originally going to build a whole new frame, but Lincoln did a great job with this design ,other than the coil pockets in the front, which I didn't like . I needed more space to fit the Huge "small block" that ford makes now. An LS would be the simple way to go, but, whats the fun in that??

I reached my first milestone today. It rolls around again!
Tomorrow I will put the body back on and see if the wheels still fit in the wheel wells :eek:

X1xynzGm.jpg

e4ZxZaem.jpg

F0ulpUTm.jpg

That Lincoln is going to make one hell of a nice cruiser with updated power and suspension. It's not going to be light, but you need some weight for a really supple ride. Don't see many of the early Capris out there, but they have nice lines - starting to show a much sleeker design, without yet being caught up in the garish excesses of the chrome Dagmar and fin era.

Love those chrome and stainless steel highlights on the body - those would be impossible to build into an affordable mass produced vehicle today. This is going to be a nice one ... :)

In your second picture you have a bar running across the top with some kind of links going down to the rear end...is that some kind of pan hard or stabilizer bar?

Thanks guys. This is the fun part for me.Now on to finding some way of turning the wheels . I dread the body work coming......
JB, Its a cut to fit sway bar from hortons. They supply the smaller tube, bushings and a splined bar to weld the arms and collar to. I built the tube that it attaches too. As I said earlier, it took some massaging to get it right so the pumpkin didnt hit or the arms touch the main tube. With the future bump stops everything should be within a 1/4" of hitting something at full compression .:eek:

cJvs7P4l.jpg

qkhjk41l.jpg

Last edited:
Nice work Lee! I too like the rolling point of a project. Great to look in and see what the capable are doing ;-)
Greg

Never seen that before..with it sticking above the frame is that going to be an issue with the body?