1948 Chev P/U Extended Cab Build

That "W" motor looks pretty sad sitting there.

Good work Eugene..........:)

Hi Eugene, you're moving right along with this build. :):) Thanks for sharing your progress and excellent workmanship.

Cheers!

Nick

I needed to find out exactly where the bed was going to be located, so I mounted the running boards, fenders to the bed and then tried to mount the side splash aprons, but they were too long. I cut the fronts off and ended up shortening them about 3/4 of an inch.

The front of the bed was hitting the cab and needed to move forward a little more. I also hate seeing a flat bed front against a rounded cab.

I made a new rounded front bed pan.

An interesting side note is that this 1 x1 square tubing is the last of what I used to make the bed frame on my '48 Austin bed back in 1988. That was my first hot rod and this is the last one I'm planning to build for myself. I saved it from the crusher and the trucks used in this build.

CCF01202007_00000-1.jpg

The bed was the right length once it moved forward and the fenders bolted up to the running boards. I made new rear mounts.

The old junk bed was removed and dismantled for parts. I used the old rear sill with the roll pan mounted to it to determine where my tow hitch would go as I wanted it hidden behind the license plate. The hitch is off a 2003 3/4 ton GMC and fit nicely.

The new bedsides are 2 inches taller than stock since the originals look too short to me.

New inner wheel tubs.

Mocked up and shows new fuel cell installed.

Tailgate mocked up and had old chain mounts removed. It will have hidden latches and S10 hinges.

I still need to add 2 inches to the bottom of the tailgate.

I have already stretched the stake pockets.

That's it for now.

Last edited:
I'm not a rancher, but I brought a whole bunch of horses home yesterday.

This is exactly what I saw in my head when I opened the hood and saw this.

I just wish the truck was ready to drop it in.

Last edited:
It's been a busy weekend.

I finished boxing the back of the frame.

I got the new rear sill and installed it. I raised the floor 2 inches

I made my own mounts for the rear sill, so the factory ones were removed and used as front bed mounts.

Behind the right rear tire I cut an access hole to reach the fuel connections.

I got the upper rolls welded on the bed.

There is a factory gap at the top of the stake pocket.

It had to go away.

And then I added a teardrop end cap

The front stake pockets are just squared off from the factory, so that had to be remedied also.

The curve at the front of the bed continued into the rolls at the edges.

Back to the shop and continue weldin and grindin.

Great work Eugene. Man, I wish I had those talents.......:)

Any further info on your plan to move "south" ?

It has been a productive couple weeks.

To make the tailgate 2 inches taller, I found a tube the same diameter as the old bottom round and added a 1/4 inch rod in between.

I then added sheet metal to both sides to box it in.

I added hidden latches.

Created the top of the Drivers window / door.

Cut off the end of the drivers side dash and welded it to the door.

Got it molded in and finished up.

Got the drivers inner window frame made.

Now I'm in the process of finishing the bodywork and primer on the tailgate and both inner door window frames. This was the last major fabrication left on the project. Now it's time to start finishing......oh everything.