1948 Chev P/U Extended Cab Build

Alaska Gasser

Years ago when I had my own custom shop, I started building a '48 Chev P/U extended cab for a customer. I moved this project to my home and continued working on it after I shut the business down. It eventually began to interfere with my home life, so the customer, that had become a good friend, was advised it needed to find another home. We did not part on the best of terms.

I told my wife years ago I was going to build another one for myself. About 1 mile from our home is a field that contained about 500 cars dating back into the 40's. I was able to locate the daughter of the deceased owner and learned the plan was to crush everything this year. I put the word out the best I could and some were saved, but about 300+ were scrapped 2 months ago. I purchased 5 trucks, 1 panel, parts from several more trucks and a '59 Impala to build MY extended cab.

While helping gather these, Diana found her '46 International P/U. Here's some of what we hauled home. Bodies rust well here, so it's going to take a piece of this and a piece of that to make one truck. The plan is for a 10" stretch, suicide doors, 6.5" chop in the front, 4.5" inch chop in the back and handmade 1/4 windows.

Burned, but had a usable nose, box and rear fenders.

e.jpg

Many thanks to "Muscle Man" my son Austin for helping gather the bodies. I could not have done it without him!!

DSC02899.jpg

WOW! Amazing what 1/2 an hour with a torch can do...

DSC02901.jpg

This will be the main cab for the build.

DSC03107.jpg

Don't worry. The roof and back of the cab are headed for the scrap heap.

DSC03188.jpg

This gem still had a decent grill and headlight rings due to them being hidden.

DSC02913.jpg

Last edited:
Rolling it over... "IT WAS TRYING TO GET ME!!!!"

DSC02924.jpg

DSC02930.jpg

Found a '59 Impala with...my 1st choice for a motor. It will be a different truck, so it needs a different motor...

DSC02946.jpg

Yup.. a 348 Chevy!

DSC02969.jpg

Thank goodness for friends!! That is a heavy car. Kicked my butt for two days while I fought to get it up out of the dirt and on the trailer.

DSC02991.jpg

DSC02878.jpg

This is a long bed frame. Perfect for the stretch and a short bed box.

DSC03204.jpg

Cut apart for the 10" stretch.

DSC03740.jpg

All diced up for the new beginning.

DSC03865.jpg

The two cabs meet...

DSC04032.jpg

To quote Porky Pig...."Tthththththhats all folks!" For now.

Last edited:
Good pile of goodies, Eugene.

For more info on your Impala motor go to:

www.348-409.com

There is lots of tech info there and a forum too !
Parts tend to be expensive. Usually 2-3 times the
cost of building a small block. Just a heads up !!:)

Wow what nice little stash of projects and parts there! I'll be watching your progress for sure! Don't spose you have any pics of that Olds 88 in the fourth picture? I LUVZ my Oldsmobiles!:D:D Ken

That will be an interesting project, man you have a ton of energy with all those projects on the go. Good for you, that will be a handy pickup as well when you are finished long wheel base good for travelling and towing. Looks like the front bumper and some of the other chrome is saveable from the 59.

I realized the photo of the panel didn't make it into last nights posts.

It was sold to the Turnagain Childrens Home in 1954 as a used vehicle and I have that used title. The names off the sides have been cut off and will hang in my shop.

DSC02858.jpg

John in Oz: I did not intend to have this many projects at one time. It just sort of happened.:) (Pretty sure most car guys have experienced this at one time or other):):) The extended cab has been a "someday" wish. Grabbing the vehicles away from the crusher sped the time frame up. Diana's truck fell in my lap too, but I wouldn't trade the opportunity or experience for anything!

PG409: Thanks for the motor information. Yah... I know it will be more expensive in the long run, but the cool and different factor will make it worth while. I have always wanted one thanks to growing up listening to the stories of Hunter and my father regarding their 409's. I also have a buddy who is an engine builder and he says "we'll work something out."

Last edited:
Well, a few more steps have been taken.

New cab mounted. Roof and back of the cab skins removed.

DSC04234.jpg

Back of the cab mounted 10" back.

DSC04242.jpg

Doors back on to check fit.

DSC04259.jpg

The back window marked out for the 4 1/2 inch chop.

DSC04257.jpg

I had to empty my cabinets on the back wall of the shop and move them so the water can be hooked up in the hotrod bathroom my wife has been working on. Progress is on hold until the magazines, etc. are off the truck and back where they belong.

Last edited:
Great progress to go along with a great back story!

I've subscribed to this build :D So much fun to watch.

Cheers!

Looks great Eugene
Like I have said before, wish we lived closer so I could lend a hand.
You have always had an eye for cool projects, keep the progress pics coming

Kelly

Great project alright, if you go and have a look at the Yamba pics I posted you will be able to see where a guy did an early Jail Bar Ford which might also give you some ideas on how he did it, the truck looks good in real life to.

I was considering adding a little length to the '46 cab I have for a little more leg room, but I wanted to lengthen it in the doors for a stealthy approach. Most people wouldn't notice this mod if was a reasonable size stretch(8 to 10"?). I was wondering if you considered both ways during the planning stages and finally decided to leave the doors alone and add to the cab?

I was told that it's difficult to lengthen the doors, but it doesn't seem to involve any more steps - new door glass will have to be cut, but extended cab will need 1/4 windows too. - Jus Curious. -Fordy