1940 Ford Sedan - Al's Rod Project

Looking fantastic, painting the a/c valance (or seeing it all painted) sure pulls it all in together!! I was watching, and wondering how that was going to look, great results!!
I see the heavy sewing machine, this is NOT your first project of that nature I'm thinking? I too like the sharp panel. Watching for the next updates :)
Greg

Thanks John and Greg,

I'm happy with the way the valance turned out. The goal was to make it look like a factory '40 item.

As far as the sewing machine, I picked it up probably about 10 years ago. I did a total interior on my 41 chevy and I'm starting to feel comfortable with it now. I managed to get that one panel done on the first crack.:)

Thanks
Al

Jan 18,2015 Update

Someone asked how I do my door panels. So here ya go.

I start by spray gluing the fabric, with 1/2" foam, and a backer material (like on old bed sheet) and chalk mark the pleat lines.

Then I sew the pleat lines.

Then cut the panel to the desired shape

Make of some piping strips

Sew the piping strips to the panel then staple it down to the panel.

Then I glue some carpet to the lower section and staple and glue it to the back.

Here's a shot of the 54 Olds arm rests. I just removed the old material and used it as a pattern and glued the new material on.

That's it for now.

Al

Al...great photo journal. We do appreciate you're posting these pics for us.....:)

thanks for that tutorial, you make it look easy ..
My dad used to be in the drapery business and had all the industrial machines I would need at my disposal, but he no longer is with us and the machines have all been sold.
I'd still like to tackle my own upholstery for the Studie, but don't have access to a machine other than my wife's machine and it won't handle the thickness of the batting and leather.
There's the crux of the biscuit
Anyway, what type of glue is used for the carpet and such, and what type of wood paneling / backing and thickness for a panel base.

Last edited:
Thanks PG409,

Thanks Gary, just drive it on over and we'll "get 'er dun"

Bullet,
I used my wife's machine for my 36 Ford back 15 years ago. Needed to use a heavy needle but I ended up buggering up the machine. After that she said get your own damn machine.:D This heavy machine will do like 6 or 7 layers of leatherette like butter.

The glue is 3M Super 77 spray adhesive. Spray on both surfaces, leave it sit a minute, then stick them together. The wood panel is 3mm thick and comes in 5x5 sheets. I've used 5mm but I find the 3mm is a lot more workable.

Al

...damn, that looks great! However, if I had a machine like that I'm sure I would sew my fingers together....

You obviously have a lot of skills, the build is very nice and the interior is looking awesome! Thanks for sharing what's involved in the interior! You can do my 37 anytime!!

Dean

Last edited:
Thanks Linc and Dean.

Linc , you probably could sew fingers with it and its so fast you'd be to the elbow before you knew it. Your 35 is looking great. Neat build.

Dean, looks like I should take the show on the road between Gary in Oz and you in the west. The 37 is coming together. Awesome.

I managed to finish all the panels tonight. Next step is to tackle the headliner and carpet. Oh ya and maybe tunes.:)

AL

Sunvisors

The sunvisors were redone at one point and were still in good shape, but the colour was beige and I'm going grey interior.

I cut the old cover off and the cardboard liner was reusable so I used it to lay out the pattern.

I sprayed the edge and folded the edge over

Folded the two halves, sewed 3 edges and slipped it over the sunvisor frame.

The last seam was a bit of a bitch and it still needs a bit of massaging, but that's basically it.

Al

Looks like you almost know what you are doing there Al, :), good for you doing the whole job, well except the paint maybe.

It's always amazing that some guys can put out such good quality on every piece of the car. I have a hard time putting in sparkplugs sometimes and I end up with clothes torn, grease in my hair, 6 gallons of oil spilled on the garage floor doing it. Other guys do everything perfect it seems. Patience is helpful I guess. Nice work!

Sheldon

Under dash panel looks great! Doing something similar myself for AC vents and controls. Good job!

Been following the build and I gotta say this is another gem coming out of Al's garage. Fantastic job!!

Thanks for the kind words guys. It's getting there.

Headliner is halfway in today. I'll try and post some pics in the next couple of days.

Gil, you're welcome to stop by for a closer look anytime you're in the 'hood.

Al

Jan 31,2015 Update

Headliner

I lined all of the inside surfaces of the car with EZ Cool insulation

Here's a shot of the new headliner that I got from WLS Headliners out of Hazelhurst, GA.
All of the original bows were usable.

Started from the back and moved forward

Once all hung, then the fun begins. Stretching it tight.

Still have the front and side garnishes to install.

This is my first suspended cloth type headliner. Much easier that the vinyl one I did on the 41. Just a lot easier to work with cloth.

I used a clothes steamer to remove some wrinkles (mostly from being folded in the shipping box) Over time they are supposed to shrink tighter.

That's it for now.
Al