1940 Ford Sedan - Al's Rod Project

Ol Heap

March 2012

Just thought I'd post a few pics of a 40 Ford project I picked up a couple of weeks ago. Been busy getting the interior back together on the 41, so I was able to finally bring the 40 in tonight. I rough assembled it just to park it. I'll start pecking away at it this summer and start working on it next winter.

The car was restored back in the 70's and driven in parades and such. A fellow in South River that I bought it from, picked it up about ten years ago and started work on it, stripped it down and got busy with other things and kinda lost interest. The flathead ran a couple of years ago and is not stuck so I'll try to get it going.

They're still out there.

Al
:):):)

1.jpg

2.jpg

2a.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

8.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks real clean. Nice start. Always best to start with a super clean, complete car. Looks like that's what you have.

nice find... love this style of tudor.. ok I guess i'm a bit bias when it comes to these cars i know mines a 38 but same look and the 40 front sheet metal is so cool.
38snow.jpg

Real nice find!! To me the 39-40 Fords were the nicest body style EVER built!!
Nice smooth gracefull lines Lucky Bugger!!!:D frank

Enjoy the summer driving and have something else to work on in the winter, sounds like a nice plan Al, when you get going on it keep us posted.

That is a brilliant find Al, looks good with all the front on it. Nice model so good fro you, h'mm now lets guess, black with white walls.

...very cool find. An additional bonus is that being in bare metal, you can see the work done (if any) re: patch panels, sundry metal restoration, etc usually hidden under Bondo....

Sweet, if that only turns out 1/2 as good as your 41, it's going to be a great car!
One of my favorite 40's.

400px-Trend-book-160-hot-rod-1958-annual.jpg

...That is a nice car to start a build on. What are your plans for powertrain, suspention etc?...
..And of course we want pictures as you move along with it.....
Stan. ..........

Nice find Al, looks like a nice clean car! (and I should know)
Here is a shot of mine when I found it.

scan0003-1.jpg

Al

Thanks guys,

Yep it was a real nice find.
I'm thinking if I can get the flattie going, and get 'er in the weeds a bit with a dropped axle and keep it pretty much stock otherwise for starters. I have a spare frame that I may do up as a rod and do a body swap at some point. That's the plan this week but who knows. I have all the trim, etc so either way the body is going to stay pretty stock.

Al
:):):)

Update August 31, 2012

Update August 31, 2012

Been pecking away at the '40 a bit. Mostly in the tail section.

1.jpg

The tailpan was bad and had 1/2" thick of old filler that was tough as nails.

2.jpg

So ended up cutting it out.

3.jpg

The rear and bottom of the fender was full of bronze from the 70's redo job

4.jpg

So, cut all that out too

5.jpg

Roughed out the profile of the bottom of the fender

6.jpg

Cut out some more

7.jpg

Needed a compound round patch so I used a section of 36 Ford roof that I had

8.jpg

Start tacking

9.jpg

Forgot to mention that these where 39 fenders (I think) that had the taillight hole filled and the 40 Tail was about 6" too low. My buddy Gilles is building a 40 Coupe and loaned me fender to figure out the correct tail light location.

10.jpg

Transferred the pattern

11.jpg

Managed to pick up a decent trunk lid that was better than the one I had (see the too low tail light hole)

12.jpg

The plan is starting to come together

13.jpg

Hole cut

14.jpg

Oh good new Tail light fits

15.jpg

One final shot

That's all for now.

Al