1937 Chev Custom Truck Build

Sweet build! Just wondering what you'll be using for rolling stock? I can kinda see what appears to be wide whites on chrome reverse wheels, but maybe those are just temporary, for mock up.;)

You are correct. I will be running a full hubcap with the wide whites just undecided on what. I have some '53 stude caps but not sure about them they may be a little too new for this build.

Wow is that garage ever tight! Just goes to show if your ambitious you can do anything. I've been spoiled all my life. I had a 26' X 28' heated garage before I moved in to my shop.
My neighbor a few years ago did a frame off resto on a 70's Toyota pick up in a 14' X 10' garage ( i think it was a horse stable when the house was first built). Dirt floor , two light bulbs and a wood stove. He was in there every night for two years, but got it finished.

Haha yes it is tight. It is actually my moms place. That is where I started the build with my Dad before he passed away. I actually have a 24'x24' heated garage at home but it has my '50 Merc (waiting to be worked on) my Dads '62 Landrover (waiting to be worked on) and a Dakota in it at the moment and all my tools are at my moms. Besides it gives me an excuse to go see my mom every weekend.

The new cars don't have drip rails, so why should the old ones ?
I removed mine on my '50 Studie, I think it looks a ton better.

Last edited:
The new cars don't have drip rails, so why should the old ones ?
I removed mine on my '50 Studie, I think it looks a ton better.

The engineers discovered that drip rails can cause wind noise, so they smoothed them out and moulded them into the door rubbers.

Russ

Most cars/trucks I've seen with shaved drip rails tend to make the roof crown appear pregnant..... so in the case of a chop, it puts visual weight above the glass area. The shadow on the door top tricks the eye and makes the chop look more sinister and reduce the "weight" of the roof. A '33/'34 car type lip (on a smaller scale) would work and drive onlookers crazy. Westergard customs and customs from the "golden age" took many forms. There isn't one formula. But I think the good ones (there were some real clunkers from the era too) shared a simple elegance and visual balance. Please don't read too much into what I've said, I think your truck is looking killer. Please keep posting pictures. A good forum is where guys can share thoughts/opinions with buddies who understand that an opinion is just that.

Most cars/trucks I've seen with shaved drip rails tend to make the roof crown appear pregnant..... so in the case of a chop, it puts visual weight above the glass area. The shadow on the door top tricks the eye and makes the chop look more sinister and reduce the "weight" of the roof. A '33/'34 car type lip (on a smaller scale) would work and drive onlookers crazy. Westergard customs and customs from the "golden age" took many forms. There isn't one formula. But I think the good ones (there were some real clunkers from the era too) shared a simple elegance and visual balance. Please don't read too much into what I've said, I think your truck is looking killer. Please keep posting pictures. A good forum is where guys can share thoughts/opinions with buddies who understand that an opinion is just that.

I totally understand where you are coming from and certainly no offense taken. It would be a pretty boring world if everyone liked the exact same thing. I appreciate any opinions and insight as there is always something to learn and consider from another point of view.

I think where most customs of the day get away from the issue of not having a drip rail is they were often dark in color and everything tends to blend together a bit more than on a lighter coloured vehicle where the shadow you are talking about is a much more noticable element in the overall look.

Thanks for the positve comments guys!!

K13
Sorry for posting my Stude on your thread, but I think no drip rails and the 3" chop took the high crown out of my roof.

50studechampion_hoyt.jpg
StudiePhotoShop-1.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Bullet, it appears that you still have a body character line where the drip rail was over the doors and window. This is exactly what Tinmann was saying to do. On K13's truck, it will be completely flat with no character line.

Both vehicles will look great when they're done. :)

The engineers discovered that drip rails can cause wind noise, so they smoothed them out and moulded them into the door rubbers.

And not only that, but doesn't it annoy you when you open your door in the winter and all that snow falls on your seat, even if you have swept most of it off?

Alright I got a little bit more done. Working on the tailend this time. I am using a Briz bumper out back as well so I needed to make a pan for the back to fill in the space.

I started by getting some bends put in a piece of sheet metal I thn cut the shape of the bumper out on the leading edge and then used a hammerform to turn an edge down to give it some strength.

IMAG0123.jpg

IMAG0125.jpg

IMAG0126.jpg

And then installed with taillights. Sorry for the crappy picture but the sun was at my back.

IMAG0128.jpg

Now I have to put a couple of holes in the bumper to run the exhaust through and I will have pretty much wrapped up the backend.

Well it has been a long time since I updated this. I have been slowly plugging away at it (not as much time as I would like:( ) and I have made a little bit of progress on some body work so I thought I would update it.

IMAG0316.jpg

IMAG0317.jpg

I like the way you have done the head lights, good work being done by the look of things, thanks for the update.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well the weather has sucked balls for doing much fabrication wise. I really need to get the cab off the chassis to finish some loose ends on the chassis but snow and cold weather has made that pretty much impossible for the last month so I have been playing around with some upholstery. I have never done anything like this before so we will see how it goes. Don't be too mean with your criticism.

I am doing a dark blue/white color tuck and roll interior. I decided to go with cloth inserts (dark blue color) because I found some material I liked that was reasonable and I don't think it will get as ripping hot as a similar color of vinyl in the summer.

Sorry for the shitty cell phone pictures it was all I had with me at the time.

This is the start of a door panel. I started by laying out my pleats.
IMAG0389.jpg

Sew up the pleats.
IMAG0393.jpg

Add the welting.
IMAG0399.jpg

Sew on the white vinyl. Not sure what happened with this picture but it makes the pleats look like they are going all over the place they are pretty straight in real life and will be straight once mounted on the door panel.
IMAG0404.jpg

IMAG0405.jpg

That is as far as I got because I need to get some more welting cord and some panel clips before I do any more. Thanks for checking in.

Thanks for the update, looks like you know what you are doing with the upholstery to. This is going to be a great little truck, thanks for keeping us up to date.

Thanks John. There was a LOT of swearing involved in getting to that point on the upholstery so we will see how things progress.:rolleyes: