1937 Chev Custom Truck Build

K13

Supporting Member
Well I am new here and I posted a picture of my project in my introduction thread and had some guys ask for some more info and picture so I thought I would start a thread on my build so far. I have been at theis for a number of years as I don't get a lot of time to work on it. I have a more extensive documentation of it on the HAMB but I will go through the basics here. Most of the other stuff is just fluff anyways.:D

I will background this with saying this is my first hotrod/custom car type build. My dad was big into British vehicles so I had helped him with MG's and Landrovers but pretty much all mechanical stuff. I had no fab experience before this so I have been learning as I go another reason this build has taken FOREVER.

So here it goes. I am building this truck in a '40's style Westergard custom style.
First the chassis and drive train. Mustang II, Chevy 235 straight six with fenton exhaust and offenhauser dual intake, saginaw trans, triangulated 4 link out back and it is airbagged. Here are a few pics:

DSC00260-1.jpg

DSC00263.jpg

Now on to the custom stuff. I have chopped the top, molded '40 Chevy headlight buckets into the fenders, bullnosed the hood and built a customs grill and hood sides, built hidden hinges and shaved the door handles and I am in the process of modifying some Briz bumpers for the desoto bumper look.

truck004.jpg

IMAG0020-1.jpg

IMAG0069.jpg

So that is about where I stand right now. The back end Roll pan is currently being changed up for another Briz bumper and I will be shavng the drip rails for a smoother look as well.

I hope you enjoy and if you have any question please ask.

Oh and I don't have any better pictures because I am building it in a one car garage with a steep driveway and it is a pain in the ass to move in and out so it rarely is outside to take pictures. I always get asked that question.:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Let me be the first to say on this build thread that you're doing one 'ell of a fine job. I'm liking everything you've done up to date, the mod headlight buckets, briz bumper, home built grill, nosed, shaved, etc. Keep those pics flowing.
Oh, and welcome.
Darrell

Let me be the first to say on this build thread that you're doing one 'ell of a fine job. I'm liking everything you've done up to date, the mod headlight buckets, briz bumper, home built grill, nosed, shaved, etc. Keep those pics flowing.
Oh, and welcome.
Darrell

And I second that. Good lookin' truck. I like that you have the whole truck sitting on air bags! Welcome to the forum and I'm looking forward to seeing the progress of your build.
Terry

...Westergard, damn Dude, you've been studying the Grand Masters for a while and it shows....it looks just tremendous so far....

welcome to the forum, love what you are doing. going to be one sweet ride when you are done. I am presently working on a 39 chev coupe as well that I would like to put on air bags. Great bunch of guys here that are always willing to give there advice. hopefully get a chance to see your ride first hand some day. Revy

Well now, that does indeed look mighty fine as the other guys say.

As a wood guy, I must comment on your pickup bed...looks absolutely choice! What kind of wood did you use?

And that neat little detail on the side of the hood..love it!

Coool vision, coool build.

My one criticism..... leave the drip rails or if you must, shave 'em and make new ones '33/'34 Ford style. The upper door needs a shadow.

Thanks guys I appreciate all the comments!

Well now, that does indeed look mighty fine as the other guys say.

As a wood guy, I must comment on your pickup bed...looks absolutely choice! What kind of wood did you use?

And that neat little detail on the side of the hood..love it!

Thanks. The wood is Cherry. The reason I used it is Windsor Plywood had a bunch of shorts of it on for cheap so that is what decided to use.

My one criticism..... leave the drip rails or if you must, shave 'em and make new ones '33/'34 Ford style. The upper door needs a shadow.

I appreciate the suggestion and I know drip rail removal tends to be a touchy subject but I am building to a specific time period and they were always removed so they will be going.

I was thinking on doing the same thing on our PU. What width and thickness of boards did you use? Are you going to stain and marine varnish on them?

Russ

I agree with the Tinnmann. That is going to be a nice pickup when it is done for sure.

Thanks again for the kind words guys.

I was thinking on doing the same thing on our PU. What width and thickness of boards did you use? Are you going to stain and marine varnish on them?

Russ

I believe the boards were 6"x1" when I started with them but they were rough cut so I had to plane and joint them before I did anything. I will check this weekend when I am working on it again for some more precise measurments but my guess is they are about 3/4" thick now and around 5 1/2" wide. I already had the bed strips so I just made the boards wide enough to evenly fit in the space with the number of bed strips I had.

well I got one drip rail shaved on the weekend. I can only reach one side of my truck with my welder where it is and it is a big production to get it to the point I can reach the other so it will have to wait.

I know some don't like the look of vehicles without driprails but for the time period I am going after on this build they are pretty much mandatory on a custom and besides I like the look. I am terrible a taking in progress pictures and this was no exception so just the "finished" pictures. I have a bit of metal finishing still to do on them and the surrounding areas but here they are.

IMAG0113.jpg

IMAG0114.jpg

IMAG0115.jpg

Not very exciting but there it is.:D

Sweet build! Just wondering what you'll be using for rolling stock? I can kinda see what appears to be wide whites on chrome reverse wheels, but maybe those are just temporary, for mock up.;)

Wow is that garage ever tight! Just goes to show if your ambitious you can do anything. I've been spoiled all my life. I had a 26' X 28' heated garage before I moved in to my shop.
My neighbor a few years ago did a frame off resto on a 70's Toyota pick up in a 14' X 10' garage ( i think it was a horse stable when the house was first built). Dirt floor , two light bulbs and a wood stove. He was in there every night for two years, but got it finished.