1935 Ford Project -2Dr Sedan to 3W Coupe

......sooooo, now that the lid has been centred and positioned like a coupe lid, a few other things can be crafted. A band of metal was tacked to the lid to serve as a guide for surrounding sheet metal.....

Then positions for the trunk hinges had to be measured out and indicated with painters tape.....

Next was to build a new brace (didn't exist with the sedan body) for the lid, hinge securement, and rear deck support.....1"x1" will do just fine....

....bit by bit, little by little, it's getting there.....

...thanks guys.. I just hope this excruciating detail is too tedious. I'm posting all this in case others want to do similar things -not necessarily a full blown project like this but maybe having to do i.e. structural reinforcement at the rear deck where the original stuff is all rotten or missing altogether. And this is all background stuff before 'skinning' the rear deck....

...now that the lid is supported, centred, and fixed in place, we jump to the lower deck and begin to build the curved reveals that make the '35/'36 Ford coupes so unique.......

....there was a ton of fixin' and trimin', one false start, then success for the lower edge of the reveal where it joins the raised tail pan....

Wow, I know all this work is going to be spectacular in the end, but I think I would have found a coupe to build ... just saying.

Do you name your cars .. this one could be called ' Morpheus '

noun ;
Classical Mythology. the son of Hypnos .. the god of dreams.

....puts my mind at ease and ends up just like we planned it. It is way different than a stock '35/'36 with the long 'tongue' of a rear deck. This look is due to the (race car) shortening of the rear deck to end above the gas tank, and the fabrication of a new body line that mimics the shape of the lower edge of the trunk lid. The lid is actually from a precious '37 coupe and has nicer contours than others......

....a milestone finally, it's time to step back and mock up again. The body and frame are still up on jack stands so they are way higher than the tires....but you get the idea. We also found a better hood to use but it still needs some tweaking. Badassedness is coming out just as planned and executed (and expected).....

That is coming on great Dave, man alive there has been a great amount of work been done there. Thanks for the updates mate.

Dave, been following this build from the start, wasn't sure if what you envisioned and planned, would work out.
As you stated, the rear trunk proportions on these era cars was way out of whack to my way of thinking.
You my friend have just improved Henry's look 100 %. Congrats on a great vision and build!

Are you going to smooth out the lower panel area below the trunk (removing the hump) ?

Thanks for having us along on this epic journey.

Brian

John, thanks.....6 months and counting.....

Brian, thanks for this. Things have worked out mostly for what I had envisioned and the rear deck is a triumph after a lot of nail-biting. I have supreme confidence with Stony and in many ways we think alike when it comes to a build. Re: the Henry design always looked 'liquid' or like a lava flow to me. It certainly looked sort of droopy-assed for a salt-car look.
I'm visiting the shop this week and want to see the lower bump in the tailpan from many angles before making a judgement. The idea is to fill in a blank panel with a design element that reflects the other body lines for the deck edges. On the other hand, the ass end of the gas tank below that panel may be enough visual weight for the rear of the car.
What to do.....what to do.....?

This is so cool, what a build! You have a great vision for the build and some great help obviously to tie it all together! Can't wait to see more.

What gauge sheet metal are you guys using for the panels?

Dean

....and the mockups just keep on coming..... body still on jacks, wheels look weird and are not attached to the hubs.....

Are you going to smooth out the lower panel area below the trunk (removing the hump) ?

Brian: the 'hump' in the lower pan is a weird combination of camera and available light....there is no 'hump'. That lower panel, rather than being just flat, is simply rounded to reflect the 'roundness' of the body line.....

Dean: I believe the steel is 18ga.....

Damn David, that is looking BadAss!
Extremely cool project and vision! Thank you for sharing so much of your efforts here.
Greg