1935 Ford Project -2Dr Sedan to 3W Coupe

An amazing build for sure, David. Will be following closely. Cheers:)

I better get my ass back in gear. You're going to have this thing done and on the road in the time it takes me to get the 34 frame buttoned up.

Things are looking awesome David. It's really coming together nicely.

....thanks, you guys. Progress is slow because this a first time for everything and standing back and assessing is a huge part of it. I'm convinced that if I was every crazy enough to do another one with Stony, it would go much quicker. As mentioned.....the brain cells take a hit with all that thinking, measuring, imagining, over and over and over...

...here are some odds and sods from a visit today re: the rear roof closure (tons of English wheel work to duplicate the 'natural' crown of a coupe). No lap welding here -butt welding only after the overlapped metal is removed. Also, the inner nightmare of clamps, supports, and crude mockup of a tire and a trial fit in the rear wheel arch. We'll be starting with a rubber rake of 4" and then adjust the front and rear crossmembers as appropriate.....

Thanks Gary....I'll keep them coming....

Speedy....comments from the cheap seats are appreciated, as well.....you cheeky tart....

....another great score!!! I've been looking at seats and found these beauties for my fat ass. Hardly used at all and cushie for my tushie on long hauls to shows or whatever. Bench seats are ok, bomber seats look great but kill on long distance runs, so I'm happy with these well-built, padded items, that came with sliders and mounting frames. Not quite the 'competition vibe' I'm after but worthwhile.
I think they may even be the 'deluxe' version because they come with a pee hole for the well endowed......(I'll still have to stop every couple of hours......)

Seats look very comfy. Even room underneath for a bucket. ;)

Aftermarket or out of something specific?

....they are super comfy, Frank, universal and are called 'wide, low-back' seats. Race-Trim makes them and they come with detachable head rests. (I'm not a fan of headrests on hot rods/kustoms....makes me puke). The seller had them briefly mounted in a VW which was subsequently sold. The new owner wanted the original VW seats, so these became a surplus item cluttering up the garage and zoom out the door they went via Kijiji......
....buckets can tip over, maybe an oil change pan would do....

....more fun with tires:
"Hi, I'd like to have these new tires put on these original Ford 'wide 5' wheels, please"....
Tire guy: "....you want what?"
"These really cool tires on these really cool original wheels, please".....
Tire guy: "....that's what I thought you said..." (smirking, humiliating smile)
"So? Can you do them?"
Tire guy: "....how?"
"You just use that tire machine to put them on....."
Tire guy: "....how?"
"You just mount the rims on the machine and...and..." DOH!

Well, I think the conversation went like that. Anyway, the tires and tubes had to be mounted by hand on the wide fives....another of the magical capabilities of the fabricator.
The rims were in excellent shape with no rust issues (bought from a restorer)...

Not once but twice -tubes and tires by hand! A couple of used beauty rings for sex appeal during the photo-op....

...yet another mockup...750/16's in wheel well....as a prelude to the rear deck fabrication.....

....filling the wheel well, as anticipated (rear tail-pan has yet to be whacked)

...thanks Gary....just another step in the Stairway To Heaven.....
".....and he's buyuyuying a Stairway......."

...rolling right along. Rear deck mockup begins with the precious trunk lid. The lid will dictate curvatures every-which-way. Discussions about where to chop the tail-pan are ongoing, as well.....

Last edited:
My memory says this car is going to be fenderless, right??
I guess the curve of the lower panel below the trunk might match
the curvature of the tire in that area....? Or...

...yes Keith, fenderless. We are currently (after lots of discussion) thinking of chopping the lower rear tail pan at about the trunk floor level. This should allow the gas tank to peek out as it sits on the rear frame horns below. The lower rear will certainly look raised and 'bobbed' and may have a louvered belly pan (under discussion too) and the '38 Ford pumpkin should be visible. The quarter panel reveal will follow the radius of the tire....

...thanks AJ....funny how just that trunk lid (mocked up as it is) indicates so much about the form of the rear deck to come. Sure beats looking at a massive void at the back of the car....