1935 Ford Project -2Dr Sedan to 3W Coupe

....Santa comes in July and the Postman nearly got a hernia. Parts arrived from Ross Engineering (Tony the Olds guru) to adapt the Olds 371 to the 3 speed trans, swap the starter to the passenger's side, mini starter, adapter ring, and a new flywheel....whoo hoo!

...today's episode: centre roof gets eliminated, rear roof split and comes forward, sail panel chopped and joined to front of roof, roof rationalized above doors, sail panel contours refined.....

No turning back now, looking good. Can't wait to see some more, keep up the progress!!

All Coneheads keep on moving, nothing to see here, lol. Dave, that took some guts to do. A lot of us will be watching with interest as we did on your Lincoln.

Definitely starting to look interesting, David.
Stoney sure knows what he is doing.

...hey, thanks for the support, you guys, I really appreciate it. This is new territory and your interest helps maintain the momentum....

...and just to reiterate (post #3):

"Needless to say, this serious metal work is way, way beyond my skill level and Stony Smith at Oddball Kustoms will be doing the honours. I bought this body because it is the most solid piece I have ever seen and should make a very nice bare metal car. Sure the door bottoms and cowl lower edges need a little love but nothing too serious and it needs floors, etc. "

We communicate on a daily basis and fire pics back and forth for car profiles, progressing work, etc. via email. I go to the shop every few days taking parts away for me to work on or delivering parts to be used later in the build, i.e. brakes, inner fenders, etc. I'm in awe every time I go to the shop.....

the trunk should be an interesting transformation also ... unless of course you're making a short box Ute :D
which, if so, would make for a talked about interesting vehicle as well.

Last edited:
Today I scored a '37 Ford coupe trunk lid that's going to be the basis for construction of the entire rear deck (no pics, sorry). Today's work involved trueing up the top (multiple) pieces so that all curves match for side-to-side symmetry, continuity of the rain gutters above the doors, and joining the front half of the roof to the back half. This tedious but necessary process took hours and hours and must be perfect or it will need to be taken apart in the future and re-done. Imperfections draw the eye immediately. Very late in the day, the stitching started on the trued up roof.....

In a couple of those pics it almost looks like you have the beginnings of a sleek 35 Ford Ranchero. Hmmmm!!!

Today's work involved chopping the rear window and a ton of welding inside and out to freeze the top pieces. Mocked up and shaping up nicely.....

Wow cool project! I really like seeing thee types of transformations.

K13, Rusty Olds....glad you like it. It has been a supreme challenge for Stony shortening the top and chopping it all at once, practically. But he is a master at all things metal so it's in good hands. One of the 'unintended consequences' was having to split the rear part of the roof in order to widen it. I neglected to see that the rear part of the sedan body tapers from the 'b' pillar back in the same way as it tapers toward the cowl.
Who knew! Guilty as charged, your Honour....

David....the vision is clear to me now.....I only wish I had 10% of the talent these guys have in doing your conversion. :)

Looking good Linc,,, as big as the challenge the roof is I am really looking forward to see the quarter and trunk area,, should be very enlightening.

Thanks for the updates... CQQL!

Bash

PG409 -Man, don't you know it....how to feel inadequate real quick. It's like magic every time I go up to the shop even with daily updates and pics....

Bash -there was build on the HAMB where the guy build a large wooden buck and fabbed it that way (bashing). I'm not sure what the approach will be for the shoulders between the quarter panels and the rear deck. What we did know several weeks ago was that the trunk lid was critical for dictating the contours from beneath the rear window to the tail pan and side to side.
It was realized recently that the body reveal across the back of the sedan has less of an arc than that on the roof of a 3 window. These pics illustrate the work involved to fab a higher arc as well as close up the chopped window. I think the proportions are great between the opening of the rear window, the space below it, and the reveal itself.....

Today's work was done on the 'A' pillars -truing them up, freezing them up and welding them solid.....

Then the focus was on the door window frame and how it's going to blend in with the roof and the beautiful arc of the drip rail. This is the mockup so far.....

Last edited:
Damnit! I keep forgetting that the build threads got sectioned off. I kept looking in the general forum and not seeing any updates on this. Clearly I've been missing a whole heck of a lot!

Things are looking awesome David. Really coming along slick. It's going to be so bitching when completed.